Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 07:35 PM

675 posts, read 2,685,023 times

Advertisements

Hi. Our family just got back from an amazing week in the white mountians! What an amazing place, and we can't wait to go back again.I do have a question though, has anyone else taken the Mt Washington Auto Road and been terrified to death like my daughter and I were? I felt like we were going to fall off of that mountian! I actually had to have my poor husband stop and turn around at mile marker #7 or so. I thought I would have a heart attack if we went any further, really!. All the while we were passing folks who looked like they were having the time of their lives. So, am I nuts? What is the deal with that road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 09:27 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
My wife and I did it a few years ago and yes, it was pretty scary. I just told her to close her eyes, trust my driving skills and it will all be ok.

I couldn't believe that in the early 1900s they had auto races to the top. Those guys had some well, you know what I mean.

We have very fond memories of our NH road trip (it was in the fall too!).

Old 07-04-2007, 11:12 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Oh yes, that road can be very interesting. The last time I took the Auto Road it was in late May a few years ago and we could only get halfway up the mountain. The reason was that their was still snow in the higher elevations above 3-4 thousand feet. The drive was scary because of the constantly shifting visibilities and fog problems that you encouter while on the road. The scenery was very amazing.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:47 AM

234 posts, read 1,270,272 times
My wife freaked too. I told her to calm down and cover her eyes ... we went to the top and she thought it was worth the trip. You really missed out - try it again sometime, ..... and take a valium.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:26 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leggo View Post
My wife freaked too. I told her to calm down and cover her eyes ... we went to the top and she thought it was worth the trip. You really missed out - try it again sometime, ..... and take a valium.
They had the road blocked off at about 4,000 feet. I will definitely try it again sometime soon.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:37 AM

108 posts, read 413,123 times
Yes, yes, yes! This road is a nail biter. I am amazed that there haven't been disastrous events on this road. A real nail biter. I actually sit in the "inside" of the backseat going up when I do go up..the trip is definately worth it. If you have to, close your eyes and look to the inside part of the road...squeeze something, I found that helps too ..except for the poor hand of the soul next to me.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:45 AM

1,174 posts, read 5,903,286 times
Perhaps you would enjoy the cog railway more. I think it's your best bet if you're that nervous.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:59 PM

234 posts, read 1,270,272 times
Well at least with the Cog railway - they're sure to get to the top.... cause they ain't turning it around!!!
The Cog is great fun too.
Seriously - driving in suburban Boston (where the OP is from) is much more hazardous to your health then driving up Mt Washington.!!!!

Old 07-05-2007, 03:37 PM

675 posts, read 2,685,023 times
Whew! Glad I'm not the only one who found the road to be a nail biter too . I am sorry now that I made my DH turn the car around. It was a clear day too. I just got so freaked out. We have done some pretty hairy drives in the past (one crazy one in the Amalfi coast comes to mind) but this one just kicked my behind. Anyway, the Cog may be the way to go. Thanks everyone.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:30 PM

32 posts, read 149,671 times
My husband and I took the Cog Railway about a month or so ago. We just moved to NH in February and wanted to do some sightseeing. Neither my husband and I like heights much (except we both like flying, go figure). I thought I would be really scared, but I wasn't at all. It was phenomenal. My husband now wants to try the auto road, but I haven't worked up enough courage yet, but we will try it, I am sure, before the end of summer or fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire