Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 05:57 PM

3 posts, read 3,645 times

Advertisements

I'm Jeff. I live in Lufkin Texas and have always wanted to move north. I have given thought to many places but finally it seems that NH is about as good as I can get for my interests.

I hunt and fish and love outdoors. I love the state motto. I recently found the free state project. I haven't joined yet, but I am thinking about it. (Ron Paul supporter btw)

I worked in Jay Maine for about a year so I am somewhat familiar with the winters, but geez why they gotta be so wintery? I just can't take the summers in Texas anymore. over 100 degrees and 95% humidity is ridiculous.

I work offshore so job availability isn't important. Access to an airport is a consideration and as long as my wife and daughter can make it to the grocery store once a week while I am gone I think it would be fine. I would really like to live in a rural area with a big town maybe 20 or 30 minutes away.

Anyway I am just reading these forums and trying to get some ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 07:05 PM

26,418 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2 View Post
I'm Jeff. I live in Lufkin Texas and have always wanted to move north. I have given thought to many places but finally it seems that NH is about as good as I can get for my interests.

I hunt and fish and love outdoors. I love the state motto. I recently found the free state project. I haven't joined yet, but I am thinking about it. (Ron Paul supporter btw)

I worked in Jay Maine for about a year so I am somewhat familiar with the winters, but geez why they gotta be so wintery? I just can't take the summers in Texas anymore. over 100 degrees and 95% humidity is ridiculous.

I work offshore so job availability isn't important. Access to an airport is a consideration and as long as my wife and daughter can make it to the grocery store once a week while I am gone I think it would be fine. I would really like to live in a rural area with a big town maybe 20 or 30 minutes away.

Anyway I am just reading these forums and trying to get some ideas.
I would recommend the eastern Lakes Region towns along the highway 16 corridor. I like the Wakefield area with its smaller village feel, but easier access to the Seacoast within 30-35 mintues. Rochester is about a 20-25 minute drive- all highway. The Governor Wentworth regional district includes the towns of: Ossipee, Wolfeboro, Brookfield, New Durham, and Effingham- not Wakefield. Wolfeboro has the regional hospital (Huggins). A plethora of big box stores have opened in Rochester over the past few years. Most of the smaller towns in Carroll are fiscally conservative with moderate property taxes. Expect property taxes to run between 2-2.5K for an average sized house.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:08 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Jay, ME has some seriously old-fashioned New England winters (my husband has family up that way...) Only the white mountains and points north have winters that are in the same category. Central/southern NH, or coastal would be much less wintery--though winters like 2010/2011 EVERYBODY got slammed. This winter, not so much (1 8" snowstorm in late October, couple of tiny little fluffy inches here and there, otherwise it's been a bare-ground winter.

Keep on reading--everybody has their own idea of paradise in NH

Old 02-27-2012, 07:49 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,495,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Jay, ME has some seriously old-fashioned New England winters (my husband has family up that way...) Only the white mountains and points north have winters that are in the same category. Central/southern NH, or coastal would be much less wintery--though winters like 2010/2011 EVERYBODY got slammed. This winter, not so much (1 8" snowstorm in late October, couple of tiny little fluffy inches here and there, otherwise it's been a bare-ground winter.

Keep on reading--everybody has their own idea of paradise in NH
more like 1 24" snow storm in october!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/308121_593853755570_41900138_32333678_397992863_n. jpg (broken link)

but I agree, much less snow the closer you get to the coast.

But if you move up north, winter is actually something most of us look forward to. the lack of the snow this winter has made a lot of skiers, snowmobilers, snowboards, etc upset!

Old 02-27-2012, 09:16 PM

12 posts, read 25,611 times
Hey, Jeff. A Tylerite here in the same boat (though I don't work offshore ). Tired of Texas Summers after 40+ years, and I like my Winters a bit below 60 degrees. New Hampshire is a dream of mine that I hope to fulfill in the next couple of years.

/Q

Old 02-28-2012, 06:50 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,383 times
Plenty of hunting and fishing here Jeff. Would love to see another libertarian move to NH.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:31 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
well, there's Lyndeborough, Milford, Greenfield, Mont Vernon... all can get you to the Manchester airport in under an hour and are nice towns for outdoors stuff.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:55 AM

223 posts, read 540,350 times
I worked offshore gulf of mex for schlumberger back in the 70s/80s.

Just pick a spot within about 30 min drive to Manchester's airport and you will be fine.. Fly in and look around for a nice place. Cost more to live in southern nh. Living south of manchester (more urban) also puts you into driving distance of Boston airport.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:23 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
Given my choice between the two airports I'd say that Manchester is far more convenient in terms of access, parking, check in, security etc. The downside is that you almost always having to connect; I've had to go back home more than once trying to go overseas in the wintertime because my flight out of Manchester was late and wouldn't make the connecting flight. Rather than spend the night in Philly I'd drive home and try again the next day.

Getting into and out of Logan is a pain, and their security has turned the checkin procedure into a nightmare.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:53 AM

26,418 posts, read 46,591,155 times
How much importance do you, the OP, place regarding the proximity of the airport relative to where you live? Smaller towns in southern NH are nice, but the overall housing prices and property taxes run more compared to the central part of the state. The cost of living in southern NH is also higher as well according to the data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire