Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 10:48 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,346,146 times

Advertisements

Also, why is it "understandable" as some of you have said because there is so much "pressure" put on kids. With respect, that blows my mind. Plenty of kids have a lot of pressure and never cheat. Plenty of people are under "pressure" and never cheat, rob, break in, steal, etc. What happened to honesty and hard work? If kids cannot handle pressure in high school, what will happen to them in the real world?

If we are raising a generation of kids where this behavior is "understandable" and we tell them so, whether by action or words, I hate to see this country in 20-30 years when they are in charge. IMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 04:13 PM

26,477 posts, read 46,775,534 times
"Ivy League credentials rank alongside Subaru wagons and restored farmhouses as status symbols, and high school students are expected to excel and land acceptances to prestigious universities."

I can vouch for this statement. When I drove through Hanover and the area near Dartmouth College I saw a TON of Subarus everywhere. In the Midwest you never see many young people driving station wagons or Outbacks for that matter. Their are plenty of neat homes in that area, but they are very expensive.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:16 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,556,366 times
editorial from the local paper: Valley News Web Story Layout (broken link)

Old 09-21-2007, 10:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,919,326 times
Come on now be reasonable. Cut the kids some slack.

They were only practicing what they will have to do as part of the country’s financial and social elite. They were just doing the same as the Republicans at the Watergate Apartments, countless Washington lobbyists, war profiteers, drug addicted propagandists and countless other members of our ruling elite. They were cheating. So what? Cheating for profit is not a sin but just another method of protecting the privileged.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:44 PM

625 posts, read 2,439,019 times
Please tell me that you just forgot the /sarc tag at the end of your post....

Old 09-21-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post
Please tell me that you just forgot the /sarc tag at the end of your post....
I'm sure he did.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:24 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,968,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Also, why is it "understandable" as some of you have said because there is so much "pressure" put on kids. With respect, that blows my mind. Plenty of kids have a lot of pressure and never cheat. Plenty of people are under "pressure" and never cheat, rob, break in, steal, etc. What happened to honesty and hard work? If kids cannot handle pressure in high school, what will happen to them in the real world?

If we are raising a generation of kids where this behavior is "understandable" and we tell them so, whether by action or words, I hate to see this country in 20-30 years when they are in charge. IMHO
Very well said nicolem. I couldnt agree more.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:49 AM

Apparently the 9 involved are all children of privilege (not many HHS students aren't) and from well connected families.... this will drag on and on....

Old 09-22-2007, 09:54 AM

98 posts, read 395,692 times
Angry 50 Students

What I want to know is if the faculty/staff is aware that 50+ students were involved, why aren't all 50+ students being held accountable? I do not feel that is "fair" for 9 students to take the wrap for all involved.

Also, I personally feel that the punishment does not fit the crime. In the US, we have drug dealers and more severe criminals that are not being charged w/felonies and certainly are not getting as long a sentence as what these students are facing.

I agree that the students should be held accountable for their actions, however, I do not feel that they should be charged with felonies.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:29 AM

I agree that they shouldn't have involved police, the kids should have been expelled... that alone would have put enough of a mark on their record that the would "feel it" later on.

That said, the rumor around here is that there have been a number of other cheating "scandals" in the past at HHS that the school has swept under the rug and the reason they involved the police this time was that dealing with it internally clearly wasn't having the right effect. Again, that is just the scuttlebut around town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire