Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:31 PM

4 posts, read 22,541 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to relocate to New Hampshire and are quite interested in Keene.

However, when looking at a website listing property taxes in various NH cities we noted that taxes in Keene seem to be considerably higher than in many other places including Portsmouth and Dover. Does Keene offer services that are not available in other parts of the state or are the taxes just excessively high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 08:14 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
well, each town gets to set what they need for the budget they pass. As you noticed, towns around it are cheaper. any particular reason you want to relocate to such a remote (even for NH) town? It's not really near much of anything except maybe Bratt, VT.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:07 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,742,238 times
Keene is beauiful town, but it has some of the highest taxes in the nation. I would never own property there.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:46 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
Keene property taxes were outrageous and rent too. They made the prices incredibly high then rented out 2bedroom apts to 7-8 college kids at a time. I believe they r some of the highest in the state and for the crap u have to put up with out there (free staters(no offense not my cup of tea)& massive and massive amounts of snow)it's not worth it ! Just my teo cents tho

Old 07-10-2012, 02:04 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,933 times
The discussion about the Free Keene movement alone would keep me from living anywhere near there. I pity the long-time residents there who are seeing their town being used as a staging ground for a circus. Maybe I'm just not into that whole anarchy thing...

As time goes by, more and more people who think like this Anarchy in Your Head - Free Keene are going to settle down in and around Keene. They will want to be around like-minded people. So it didn't surprise me at all to read about a Keene anarchist in this: Keene man among three anti-NATO protesters facing terrorism charges | New Hampshire NEWS03

Last edited by CarawayDJ; 07-10-2012 at 02:22 AM..

Old 07-10-2012, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the input. Sounds like we would better off sticking to looking around the Portsmouth/Dover area.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:02 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
depends on what you're looking for. You've just singled out the two extreme ends of southern NH which are entirely different in tone - what's wrong with anything in between?

Old 07-10-2012, 07:28 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
The Portsmouth Dover area is very nice we r looking there too (formerly lived in Keene) anything in-between is still small town (except say nashua) and is a drive from much of anything except for towns here and there that r the exception. The costal area has much more tolerant people from my experience and you have access to resources you need or want , plus you're a hop skip and jump from Boston or Maine

Old 07-10-2012, 09:07 AM

We are both retired and looking for a small to mid sized town where we might be able to live close to shops, etc.

Keene was not on our radar until visiting there last June. Being in the SW corner of the state that far from Manchester was a concern, but we liked the area until looking at property taxes. We have no particular spot in mind.

Our search is just beginning. We are also looking around Concord, Derry, and places between there and the coast. Manchester and Nashua are too big.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:16 AM

And one more very important thing, where other than Boston, Manchester, or Durham does one go to get their hockey fix?

We are very big hockey fans and figure to attend college games as often as possible. Pro games as we can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire