Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 06:37 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,451,719 times

Advertisements

Suzette, I'm sending my most positive thoughts your way!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 09:01 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
Oh Suzette- I'm sending as many good thoughts your way as I can!

Old 07-24-2008, 06:09 AM

885 posts, read 2,660,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samma View Post
Keene is VERY remote. You have to drive over an horu if you wnat to go shopping and tehre is nothing to do unless you like to party at the college....I am so happy i got out of that town lol.
Pish posh. There are plenty of major chains right in Keene. If you want Tiffany's, live in NYC.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:25 AM

311 posts, read 995,356 times
Positive vibes flowing your way Suzet....can you feel 'em yet

Old 07-25-2008, 08:51 AM

73 posts, read 201,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
Pish posh. There are plenty of major chains right in Keene. If you want Tiffany's, live in NYC.
Do you mean Target???? Because that's all there really is, and it's a pretty small target at that. I was born in Keene and I couldn't wait to leave that town. People get stuck there and never go anywhere. Half of my teachers went to Keene high. And ya if you are under 30 or not married welcome to borning town. There is nothing. We get crappy movies even. My friend's and I always had to got to MA or VT to see anything good. You can only go to the same resturant so many times. Nothing exciting ever happens(sorry pumpkin fest gets borning after year 10). All there is to do is go part in the woods, on a lake or at the college, and that's what most people do there. I've been gone for 7 weeks now and would NEVER go back. Chicagoland is cheaper, has way more to do and people from the midwest are must nicer and way less redneck.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:42 AM

82 posts, read 238,057 times
It's funny to me to see how many people are longing to move to NH. I've lived here my whole life and am longing to get out! It's not that NH is a terrible place, in fact there are many lovely things about it. What's driving me away is the weather, lack of jobs in my area, and frankly the lack of anything to do in my area. Where I live (about 30 minutes from Keene) it's a 30 minute commute to a decent sized grocery store, Target or Walmart. Now if I want to do some real shopping at stores other than the Sears and JCPenney that Keene offers...I'm looking at a 45 min - 1 hour commute to get to a mall. Getting my nails done (my only self indulgent habit) - 1 hour away. Decent movie theater - 1 hour away. Ocean - 1.5 hours away. Major city - 1.5 - 2 hours away in Boston. I'm sick of all the driving! As a single working mother, I'm tired of using my entire weekend driving to do all of the things I want and need to do. I realize that city life has it's own challenges, but I think I'm ready to give it a go

As for weather...I'm NH raised and the amount of snow last year had me in tears more than once. There's nothing worse than working all day, picking up your kids, driving in a storm and then getting home and realizing you can't get into your driveway. I'm done. Heading to the San Francisco bay area in 2 weeks and I can't wait!

My advice to anyone moving to NH is to really spend some time here and get to know the various areas of the state before deciding where to live. I agree that Keene is too remote - for my taste anyway. Personally, if I were to stay in NH I'd rather live over toward Portsmouth, which is a beautiful town. There are rural areas around there if you want peace and quiet but you're in closer proximity to larger cities and ocean when you crave something exciting to do.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:46 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,537,783 times
suzet...I am sending positive thoughts your way too....I hope everything comes together for you so you can be were your heart already is!!!

Old 07-25-2008, 11:33 AM

13 posts, read 34,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPTNH08 View Post
It's funny to me to see how many people are longing to move to NH. I've lived here my whole life and am longing to get out! It's not that NH is a terrible place, in fact there are many lovely things about it. What's driving me away is the weather, lack of jobs in my area, and frankly the lack of anything to do in my area. Where I live (about 30 minutes from Keene) it's a 30 minute commute to a decent sized grocery store, Target or Walmart. Now if I want to do some real shopping at stores other than the Sears and JCPenney that Keene offers...I'm looking at a 45 min - 1 hour commute to get to a mall. Getting my nails done (my only self indulgent habit) - 1 hour away. Decent movie theater - 1 hour away. Ocean - 1.5 hours away. Major city - 1.5 - 2 hours away in Boston. I'm sick of all the driving! As a single working mother, I'm tired of using my entire weekend driving to do all of the things I want and need to do. I realize that city life has it's own challenges, but I think I'm ready to give it a go

As for weather...I'm NH raised and the amount of snow last year had me in tears more than once. There's nothing worse than working all day, picking up your kids, driving in a storm and then getting home and realizing you can't get into your driveway. I'm done. Heading to the San Francisco bay area in 2 weeks and I can't wait!

My advice to anyone moving to NH is to really spend some time here and get to know the various areas of the state before deciding where to live. I agree that Keene is too remote - for my taste anyway. Personally, if I were to stay in NH I'd rather live over toward Portsmouth, which is a beautiful town. There are rural areas around there if you want peace and quiet but you're in closer proximity to larger cities and ocean when you crave something exciting to do.
Ditto...can't wait to get out of New Hampshire. Primary reason? Encroachment of Boston 'culture', and out of control expenses. Property taxes are second highest in the nation, which drives rents through the roof. Many of the apartment complexes are just downright nasty...the type of neighbors I wouldn't wish on a dog. Expensive to register a car. $5000 to heat your home this coming winter, based on current heating oil prices. (Maybe they'll come down a bit...maybe.) Deteriorating infrastructure. I was here twenty years ago, and NH has REALLY gone down hill. If you are from a city like New York, Chicago or Boston, NH is probably going to be a step up for you. But many others are leaving as the cost of living here continues to skyrocket...the only reason the population is maintaining is due to the influx of people from the Boston area. If you are under 30, and wearing rose-colored glasses; you might actually like it here. When I get out; I'll let everyone know; so somebody can rent this four-figure hovel I am currently stuck in. Do you make six figures? Then you'll like NH. Otherwise; look south or west. Lots of people like it here; many others (especially those who grew up here) can't stand it. DO THE RESEARCH before you move. Read the local papers on-line to get a better feel for this state, and certainly consider a visit before you make a mistake that you MIGHT regret. If NH is your cup of tea; then by all means; drink up!

Old 07-25-2008, 11:42 AM

JCPTNH08, I understand what you're saying, but I look at the NH lifestyle a little differently.

I have friends that live in urban areas in the northeast. They may physically live near shopping centers, supermarkets and restaurants, but they also have to put up with unbearable traffic, crowds, crime, and grime. Although a mall may be just 5 miles from home, it could take 45 minutes to get there.

I live north of Plymouth in a very small town. My town doesn't even have a main street...not one single store (other than a small greenhouse)...no post office...not even a gas station. Sure, I have to drive everywhere, but I plan my shopping accordingly. I only go into Plymouth once every couple of weeks (or less frequently) to do my grocery shopping. We use Netflix for movies (maybe go to the movie theatre in Plymouth once a year). We take a trip to the mall twice a year or so to pick-up clothing or gifts. Other than that, we shop locally (20 minute drive from our home), or online. If my son or husband are working out of town, they'll do errands and pick up groceries on their way home from work. It just requires a little more advance planning. And with children, advance planning seems to be a necessity even if shopping is only 500 feet from your home!

I look at the time I spend on the road as a time for reflection or decompression from work. I've driven the same route (Rt. 49 into Waterville Valley) to/from work every work day for 27 years. The peacefulness and beauty never fail to inspire me. Calm me. Entertain me.

There was a time many years ago that I felt like you do. My husband and I always thought the grass was greener elsewhere. But, for the sake of our children and our sanity we stayed put, and I wouldn't trade our location for anything.

As for the weather, we've learned to live with it rather than trying to work against it.

As for jobs, there are certainly some problem areas in NH, like in the rest of the country.

I hope you can find what you're looking for JCPT.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:45 AM

Gosh leavingnh, where the heck do you live? Read my post below for my thoughts. My husband and I COMBINED earn well under the six figure mark (not even high five figures!) and have owned our own home on 2 acres of land for over 20 years.

I hope you, too, find what you're looking for. If not, we'll welcome you home to NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire