Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 02:15 PM

311 posts, read 995,796 times

Advertisements

Hi Suzet...you and many others mention the fear of driving in snow. One thing you might want to remind yourself is that every 16-year-old new driver in NH is also learning to drive in snow. Granted young people as a percentage of the population are more likely to be in a car accident than older more experienced drivers, BUT they learn how to do it rather quickly & successfully. Just think...you as an older, more mature, more experienced driver will have an even easier time learning to drive in the snow.

Here's what my parents did with me oh so many years ago when I learned how to drive (and we did the same with our children)...the first snowfall go to a large empty parking lot and practice. Don't be chicken...practice accelerating, then slamming on the brakes so you can feel what it's like to be in a skid. Practice turning sharply and going into a spin. This type of practice helps you get a better feel for how your car will operate in the event you go into a spin or skid. It helps your reflexes so driving in inclement weather becomes more instinctual. Who wants to be driving down a hill and your car starts fishtailing and you've never experienced it before. It's usually a recoverable situation, but if you've never dealt with it, it can freak you out!

I've said this before and I reiterate it for those folks either nervous or inexperienced in winter driving...put 4 snow tires on your car. It's worth the peace of mind. And, they work.

Granted, I live on a rather steep hill and my driveway is a 14% grade for almost 300 feet, so I've had a lot of experience. However, even my teenage children drove themselves to school every single day throughout the winter once they got their driver's licenses. You CAN do it!!!

One last pearl of wisdom from the all-knowing newhampshiregirl my husband and I have done a LOT of winter highway driving over the years - often at night. We have NEVER been in a winter-time accident (knock wood). The couple dozen times we've seen vehicles in snow-related accidents or in off-the-road spinouts/skids, the vehicles were most often SUVs. Way too many times we've seen SUVs bomb by us on the highway during a snowstorm. Too often the driver thinks they're immune to accidents because they're in a SUV. One of our cars is a SUV. We drive it with the same amount of caution during inclement weather as we would our other cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 11:48 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,538,260 times
newhampshiregirl...I truely appreciate your pearls of wisdom!!! Thank you for taking the time to explain things the way you do!!! (For whatever it's worth, I know your method of learning how to drive on icey roads works....I learned the same way.)

suzet...you are too funny!!! I like your description of running to the outhouse when it is -20 outside!!! Sorry your image of NH was destroyed...LOL

Old 07-27-2008, 12:03 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,964 times
Well lets not rub it in shall we, I am not that old and not that mature..lmao.

Newhampshiregirl, thank you for your post. I have heard about learning in a big parking lot before, so I guess that is the way to go. The spin outs sound kind of freaky. I drive slowly where I live right now, it really makes some people mad, when they are driving behind someone who actually does the speed limit. I can only imagine how slow I will drive in the snow, SUV or not. Now if I can only get out that way!! Again thank you for your post.

fallfanatic, I have found in life that it is important to always keep your sense of humor. I have to make someone laugh everyday.

And yes my image has been totally blown...geez. I thought for sure there would be out houses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhampshiregirl View Post
Hi Suzet...you and many others mention the fear of driving in snow. One thing you might want to remind yourself is that every 16-year-old new driver in NH is also learning to drive in snow. Granted young people as a percentage of the population are more likely to be in a car accident than older more experienced drivers, BUT they learn how to do it rather quickly & successfully. Just think...you as an older, more mature, more experienced driver will have an even easier time learning to drive in the snow.

Here's what my parents did with me oh so many years ago when I learned how to drive (and we did the same with our children)...the first snowfall go to a large empty parking lot and practice. Don't be chicken...practice accelerating, then slamming on the brakes so you can feel what it's like to be in a skid. Practice turning sharply and going into a spin. This type of practice helps you get a better feel for how your car will operate in the event you go into a spin or skid. It helps your reflexes so driving in inclement weather becomes more instinctual. Who wants to be driving down a hill and your car starts fishtailing and you've never experienced it before. It's usually a recoverable situation, but if you've never dealt with it, it can freak you out!

I've said this before and I reiterate it for those folks either nervous or inexperienced in winter driving...put 4 snow tires on your car. It's worth the peace of mind. And, they work.

Granted, I live on a rather steep hill and my driveway is a 14% grade for almost 300 feet, so I've had a lot of experience. However, even my teenage children drove themselves to school every single day throughout the winter once they got their driver's licenses. You CAN do it!!!

One last pearl of wisdom from the all-knowing newhampshiregirl my husband and I have done a LOT of winter highway driving over the years - often at night. We have NEVER been in a winter-time accident (knock wood). The couple dozen times we've seen vehicles in snow-related accidents or in off-the-road spinouts/skids, the vehicles were most often SUVs. Way too many times we've seen SUVs bomb by us on the highway during a snowstorm. Too often the driver thinks they're immune to accidents because they're in a SUV. One of our cars is a SUV. We drive it with the same amount of caution during inclement weather as we would our other cars.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:07 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,538,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
fallfanatic, I have found in life that it is important to always keep your sense of humor. I have to make someone laugh everyday.

And yes my image has been totally blown...geez. I thought for sure there would be out houses...
Well you have succeeded in making me laugh today!!!

Thank You!!!!

Old 07-27-2008, 01:06 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,452,661 times
And, Suzet, I think that driving *slowly* in the snow is the most important thing to do. The part I actually like about snow driving is that traffic really slows down. At least if you're driving while it's coming down.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:03 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,149 times
Talking Suzet

HEY SUZET, JUST DON'T MOVE TO KEENE....DON'T DO IT...DON'T YOU DARE......LOL

Old 07-28-2008, 01:07 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallfanatic View Post
Well you have succeeded in making me laugh today!!!

Thank You!!!!
I am happy to be of service

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
And, Suzet, I think that driving *slowly* in the snow is the most important thing to do. The part I actually like about snow driving is that traffic really slows down. At least if you're driving while it's coming down.
Lisa, do you think I would drive any other way..lmao. I hate driving, but for some reason I am looking forward to driving in the snow, go figure..lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
HEY SUZET, JUST DON'T MOVE TO KEENE....DON'T DO IT...DON'T YOU DARE......LOL
Haha, I am looking into other towns, I swear. LOL. The one Val showed me, or atleast the home she showed me, I could move right there, and be totally happy.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:04 AM

Talking Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
I am happy to be of service

Lisa, do you think I would drive any other way..lmao. I hate driving, but for some reason I am looking forward to driving in the snow, go figure..lol.

Haha, I am looking into other towns, I swear. LOL. The one Val showed me, or atleast the home she showed me, I could move right there, and be totally happy.

ok, just as long as you swear...lol...but you really don't have to swear it's not nice....pinky promises...lol

Old 07-28-2008, 07:12 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,452,661 times
lol, pinky promises...too silly, JFR!
I agree about the seacoast- haven't been that way in yrs, but it's probably a good choice for transitioning from W.Coast to E. Val, you really know what you're doing, you sent Suzet a house that looks like it's from there, but it's here, and right on the water, too. Excellent!

Old 07-28-2008, 07:21 AM

Talking There's ladies in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
lol, pinky promises...too silly, JFR!
I agree about the seacoast- haven't been that way in yrs, but it's probably a good choice for transitioning from W.Coast to E. Val, you really know what you're doing, you sent Suzet a house that looks like it's from there, but it's here, and right on the water, too. Excellent!

THAT'S RIGHT....NO SWEARING...IT'S NOT NICE...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire