Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 10:59 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Northeastah, it appears you don't know the history of Christmas in New England. The original "white" New Englanders, the Puritans, never celebrated Christmas and, in fact, banned it until 1850. They knew that it was a pagan holiday, which had nothing to do with Jesus or Christianity. The modern celebration of Christmas must be credited to Charles Dickens. See link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ...an_New_England
That's not relevant. I don't really care about the actual meaning from the 1800's. None of us were around back then, but we're here now and and I'd really like to meet the people who are OFFENDED by a Christmas tree.

re: keeping Jesus out of public school comment. That I agree with. Mohammed doesn't belong in public school either. But a tree with shiny ornaments and lights? give me a break.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:09 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
That's not relevant. I don't really care about the actual meaning from the 1800's. None of us were around back then, but we're here now and and I'd really like to meet the people who are OFFENDED by a Christmas tree.

re: keeping Jesus out of public school comment. That I agree with. Mohammed doesn't belong in public school either. But a tree with shiny ornaments and lights? give me a break.
No one is offended by a Christmas tree.

Public schools have policies in effect that are to ensure the school system isn't endorsing a particular religion. Those policies exist to avoid potential lawsuits.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No one is offended by a Christmas tree.

Public schools have policies in effect that are to ensure the school system isn't endorsing a particular religion. Those policies exist to avoid potential lawsuits.
Laws and policies are made when someone brings up an issue. who is bringing this up as a concern?

My schools used to have Christmas trees and Menorahs (I grew up in NY). I am sure that a school in lets say... Wichita doesn't have a Menorah, but I bet they do have a Christmas tree.

Again, who is raising this as a possible concern? Even atheists are saying they don't care if a tree is displayed.

what judge would even hear a case where someone is SO offended by a decorated tree, that they are seeking damages? Is this the kind of society that people want to live in? I sure DON'T!

Old 12-04-2015, 01:48 PM

639 posts, read 579,074 times
I see postings at my kids schools all the time for all kinds of religious events, for all different religions. It's not against the law on message boards in NH, maybe in NY. I usually say "happy holidays" mainly because it's not Christmas yet. I don't care. I'm pointing out the absurdity of the action.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:38 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Laws and policies are made when someone brings up an issue. who is bringing this up as a concern?

My schools used to have Christmas trees and Menorahs (I grew up in NY). I am sure that a school in lets say... Wichita doesn't have a Menorah, but I bet they do have a Christmas tree.

Again, who is raising this as a possible concern? Even atheists are saying they don't care if a tree is displayed.

what judge would even hear a case where someone is SO offended by a decorated tree, that they are seeking damages? Is this the kind of society that people want to live in? I sure DON'T!
The kind of society that I want to live in is one in which a child can go to a school and feel that his faith, whatever it may be, is okay. I don't want a child who's a Jehovah Witness, for instance, to go to school and feel marginalized because his faith doesn't celebrate Christmas. So I'm good with public schools having policies in place that exist to protect children from feeling marginalized or bullied or pressured into behaving in ways that go against their faith.

And again, this story is NOT about a school's celebration. It's about an outside organization's celebration, which the school has no control over, nor any input whatsoever, and the outside organization wanting to advertise their celebration in the schools. The outside organization was asked to follow school policy regarding those advertisements, and the non-school organization took umbrage to that request.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:43 PM

536 posts, read 844,460 times
This thread gives quite a picture of New Hampshire.

So you think Christmas is a universal holiday? You don't know that Jewish people, for instance, celebrate their holiest of holy days in October? One size fits all? Not in the land of e-pluribus-unum.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:05 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,542,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicemore View Post

So you think Christmas is a universal holiday? You don't know that Jewish people, for instance, celebrate their holiest of holy days in October? One size fits all? Not in the land of e-pluribus-unum.
No I think Christmas is a Christmas holiday celebrated in December. I think denying that is what is happening for the sake of not offending people who are too lame to figure out that is the holiday celebrated is PC BS..hope that clears things up

Old 12-04-2015, 03:45 PM

385 posts, read 345,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicemore View Post

Nobody is saying Jewish or other religions have to celebrate it. But why do Christian holidays need to be sanitized when mentioned? On my school calendar, it says: September 14 Rosh Hashanah - No school. September 24 Yom Kippur - No school. It does not say "September Holiday - No school". But Christmas and Easter now get watered down into "Winter Break" or "Spring Break" like they don't exist.

Acknowledging certain things exist is not the same as forcing it on others. Neither is offering an invite. I'm betting this flier did not say "Attend or you receive a failing grade".

@DC at the Ridge: When I was in elementary school (many, many years ago), I had a friend who was raised Jehovah's Witness. Whenever there was a class party, she had to go to the library. Several of us would bring the cookies or cake or whatever it was we had to her. She was always so happy to get that and would never have wanted the parties stopped for everyone else. Being in the library with cake and cookies and friends visiting still beat no celebration at all and doing math.

I also remember in 7th grade our school had its first Jewish student and on her holidays, she taught us what and how they celebrated and we had parties for that. The entire school put on a Hanukkuh festival in the cafeteria and we all learned a lot and had a great time.

Now, grown adults are less mature than school age children. If they can't have/don't want something, nobody else can or should have it either. Accept a holiday cheer message with the intent it was given, which is general good will, even if you are mistakenly given the wrong holiday greeting. Honestly people, grow up.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:58 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,542,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb2017 View Post
Nobody is saying Jewish or other religions have to celebrate it. But why do Christian holidays need to be sanitized when mentioned? On my school calendar, it says: September 14 Rosh Hashanah - No school. September 24 Yom Kippur - No school. It does not say "September Holiday - No school". But Christmas and Easter now get watered down into "Winter Break" or "Spring Break" like they don't exist.

Acknowledging certain things exist is not the same as forcing it on others. Neither is offering an invite. I'm betting this flier did not say "Attend or you receive a failing grade".

@DC at the Ridge: When I was in elementary school (many, many years ago), I had a friend who was raised Jehovah's Witness. Whenever there was a class party, she had to go to the library. Several of us would bring the cookies or cake or whatever it was we had to her. She was always so happy to get that and would never have wanted the parties stopped for everyone else. Being in the library with cake and cookies and friends visiting still beat no celebration at all and doing math.

I also remember in 7th grade our school had its first Jewish student and on her holidays, she taught us what and how they celebrated and we had parties for that. The entire school put on a Hanukkuh festival in the cafeteria and we all learned a lot and had a great time.

Now, grown adults are less mature than school age children. If they can't have/don't want something, nobody else can or should have it either. Accept a holiday cheer message with the intent it was given, which is general good will, even if you are mistakenly given the wrong holiday greeting. Honestly people, grow up.
such logic and nicely worded

Old 12-04-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The kind of society that I want to live in is one in which a child can go to a school and feel that his faith, whatever it may be, is okay. I don't want a child who's a Jehovah Witness, for instance, to go to school and feel marginalized because his faith doesn't celebrate Christmas. So I'm good with public schools having policies in place that exist to protect children from feeling marginalized or bullied or pressured into behaving in ways that go against their faith.

And again, this story is NOT about a school's celebration. It's about an outside organization's celebration, which the school has no control over, nor any input whatsoever, and the outside organization wanting to advertise their celebration in the schools. The outside organization was asked to follow school policy regarding those advertisements, and the non-school organization took umbrage to that request.
so, you're ok with a generation of little softies who shouldn't be burdened with other people's faith and culture? That's very healthy and open minded.

You're over complicating a very simple thing. It's a Christmas tree and a school's policy towards it. Not a nativity scene, not a statue of Mary, not a giant cross, not a star of David.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire