Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 02:07 PM

822 posts, read 857,156 times

Advertisements

Hi everryone, I'm planning my anual camping trip to NH this summer. This year I was thinking about doing the Mt Washington auto road. Has anyone here done it before? Ive heard mixed reviews, but most say its dangerous and ruins your brakes and clutch. How true is that? I have no fear of hights, so thats not an issue. just worried about wear and tear on my car. Im not interested in the cog railway or the bus. I really want to drive it and go at my own pace. Im planning on going in late August. Any info you can give from your experience would be helpful . Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 02:34 PM

639 posts, read 579,315 times
It's fine if you're a good driver. I've seen people wait to long to brake and smoke em up bad. Standards are best but you can use auto trans the same way. stay consistent and slow, you'll be fine.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:38 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,410 times
I've been up and down with no problems. Alternate between using your brakes and downshifting (manual or automatic). Don't ride your brakes. Take your time. I think there's even a couple places you can stop (I recommend this).

I'm going to do the Cog Railway this year. To me that would be much more exciting than the auto road. Not cheap, but a unique experience for sure.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:57 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,404 times
Mmmm, taken the bike on it twice, once during an all motorcycle event and the other with four wheeled traffic, it's not a hard road at all, low gear and common sense

Old 01-19-2016, 04:13 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,161,054 times
Every two years, there is a hill climb race on Mt. Washington. There should be a race event this year. It's called Climb to the Clouds and it's sponsored by Subaru.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:23 PM

I have a 5 speed, so that should help .. but what is the grade like? is it steep all the way? I checked it out on Google Earth but I couldn't get a good representation of the grade. I did see a few pull offs though. And also .. what is the traffic like on it? will I be in a line of cars or will I have some room to breath? thanks

Old 01-19-2016, 04:35 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,759 times
Here, preview it yourself - this is descending from the summit at sunrise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAnm7CKXKZc

Notice the lovely sun dog/rainbow at 40 seconds in.

I like to turn off the sound and listen to some nice music while I watch - it's hypnotizing.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:40 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
I have a 5 speed, so that should help .. but what is the grade like? is it steep all the way? I checked it out on Google Earth but I couldn't get a good representation of the grade. I did see a few pull offs though. And also .. what is the traffic like on it? will I be in a line of cars or will I have some room to breath? thanks

As to traffic, much of that depends on when you go It is steep in sections but not so much that there should be any issues, much of the road is gravel though so be prepared for that, there are no guard rails but as mountain roads go it has had extremely few fatalities or crashes in it's long history. I will admit I did have trouble the first time leaving a turn off, but that was with a Harley Sportster of 80's vintage, my Honda Shadow has both a torque and horsepower advantage over that bike. And I did both riding two up with my wife.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
Here, preview it yourself - this is descending from the summit at sunrise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAnm7CKXKZc

Notice the lovely sun dog/rainbow at 40 seconds in.

I like to turn off the sound and listen to some nice music while I watch - it's hypnotizing.

wow .. great video .. thanks! I'm definately gonna do it .. just hope I catch a nice day

Old 01-20-2016, 07:35 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,951,667 times
If you chicken out on the road, take the cog railway... It's awesome! Especially if you get the first one in the morning which pushes the train up the mountain with a steam engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire