Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:12 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,325,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbottles View Post
Goodluck with your old man candidate ...i hope he doesn't fall asleep during the presidential debates. He needs his naps and his bedpan. I'm going to call all my lefty friends and invite them to move to NH!
Not really sure what this has to do with McCain. I thought this was about NH life and politics.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:13 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,325,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmartian View Post
Please don't turn this thread into a presidential debate. That's not why I started the thread. I wanted to give people in other states a heads up about NH's culture so that they would not move here if they wanted a place that was exactly the same as where they came from.

Why?

Because it costs thousands of dollars and a lot of work to uproot yourself and your family and move somewhere else. The worst thing that can happen is for them to come here and be unhappy only to decide to move back where they came from.

It's much better to be honest and up front about it.

If you want to discuss presidential politics, I'm sure there's another forum somewhere where you can do that. Thanks for understanding.
I am glad you said that- I guess we both got frustrated and posted at the same time

Old 04-15-2008, 10:41 AM

870 posts, read 1,626,366 times
Quote:
Well if you cherish liberty then come on up! Tell your wife we've got great skiing here (all that snow I mentioned is great if you love to ski).
she would consider it if we both had jobs lined up before we got there. it is just hard to do that while we are living way down here.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:49 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,934 times
I wouldn't blame democrats for the mess we are in. The fault lies with both sides.

Governor Lynch will veto any state income or sales tax. I'm not saying that he won't increase fees but the fault is not entirely his. The economy as a whole is headed for recession and most of it is because of the billions spent on a needless war we were lied into.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:52 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,055 times
Default Wow, Nh Sounds Like Alaska..

Quote:
Hi all,

I have been reading some of the posts here from people in other states who are considering moving to NH.

I live in southwestern NH and we have had an influx of left-wing people here over the last ten years. Please do NOT come to New Hampshire if you are a left-winger in your politics!

Why? Why should I say something like this? Isn't it mean and nasty? Not at all, reading this message may save you from making a bad decision to come to NH that you will later regret and it may save you a lot of money in moving expenses (first to come here and then later to leave...).

Well it's simple, really. Politically correct leftists have ruined California and other states by voting in politicians who raise taxes, let criminals run wild and who seek to restrict or remove 2nd amendment liberty as well as creating unbearable nanny states that seek to restrict and control every facet of a person's life.

Let me be very blunt with all of you who are considering moving here:

1. We love our guns and we aren't going to give them up or have our rights restricted simply because you come from California or some other gun grabbing state. If you come to NH you may see people "open carrying" their pistols on their hips or otherwise carrying guns around. It's part of the culture of our state and if you don't like it, don't move here.

2. We don't want income or sales taxes. If you come from a high tax state and you want the same level of "services" then don't come to New Hampshire! Stay where you are. We would rather do for ourselves than be dependent on the government and we do NOT want to pay more in taxes because you are too lazy to take your trash to the recycling center!

3. We love to hunt and fish. If you come here you may see a dead deer on the top of somebody's vehicle. Or you may see a dead turkey or some other critter that somebody has just successfully hunted. Don't like it? Then don't come here because we aren't going to change our culture for you. Stay in your current state if the hunting/fishing culture bothers you.

4. We are the "Live Free or Die" state not the nanny state! This means that we don't want the government telling us how to live our lives or what to do. If you want a nanny state that will control every facet of your lives then stay the hell out of New Hampshire! We don't want to live that way and if you try to foist it on us we will make sure you know that we aren't going to tolerate it.

5. We have a LOT of snow! Deal with it! If you are living in southern CA or Hawaii or wherever it is that's very warm and sunny then you will be shocked at the cold and snow we get. At first you might think "it's so beautiful" but after 3 or 4 months of it (and grey, dreary weather) you will long for your previous state with it's warm sunshine. Think I'm exaggerating? Well we'll see after you shovel snow endlessly for months and you realize that it just keeps coming and coming and coming until it is piled high enough to go over a stop sign and then some.

Now if you are someone that cherishes liberty and that wants to live free (with no gun control, no sales/income taxes and who believes in small and limited government) then by all means please come to NH. You will be welcomed and appreciated in your new home. We always welcome those who respect and appreciate our culture and way of life.

But if you are a leftist you will find that NH gives you a cold shoulder and then some. You will not be liked and people will shun you and you will not have many friends. Trust me, we know who you are based on how you behave and what you say. We can spot you a mile away and we will make it a point to let you know you are not welcome here.

Just some thoughts from a NH resident that you should consider BEFORE coming here.
Your post of N.H. sounds exactly like how it is here in Alaska. I agree with you 100% and feel the same way about those moving up here. They come up here with their politically correct bull whining about the moose being in the city or how it isn't like where they left. I say also to them, you are not welcome, stay where you are! Anchorage has become full of these politically correct, yuppie types which is why I'd never live in Anchorage. Problem is these transplants now move outside of Anchorage with their stupid, useless whining and ideas. SO FOLKS DON'T COME TO ALASKA IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN WHAT GREENMARTIAN HAS POSTED; IT HOLDS TRUE FOR UP HERE ALSO.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:53 AM

202 posts, read 504,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
I wouldn't blame democrats for the mess we are in. The fault lies with both sides.

Governor Lynch will veto any state income or sales tax. I'm not saying that he won't increase fees but the fault is not entirely his. The economy as a whole is headed for recession and most of it is because of the billions spent on a needless war we were lied into.
Please take the iraq discussion elsewhere as well. This is not a thread to discuss that. Please do not take us off topic into that or presidential politics, there are many other places to discuss those things.

We should remain focused on why folks should not move to New Hampshire if they prefer a more left-wing, politically correct environment. They will be most unhappy if they come here after spending thousands of dollars and uprooting their families.

It just isn't worth it for them and they would be better off staying home or looking for someplace more suitable to their cultural needs.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:57 AM

as a NH native - I am offended that you would try to tell me what to discuss and what not to discuss

there was a post blaming dems as if democrat was a dirty word - I was responding to that - if you don't like it, then perhaps you need to move your thread to somewhere more appropriate -

and I don't mean another forum.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:58 AM

680 posts, read 2,439,854 times
I have to say that although I agree with everything you are saying about ruining CA (can't wait to get out of here), am certainly not a Leftist, and hate nanny state politics as much as anyone, for me part of "live free or die" is the freedom to vote however you like and move wherever you like (and can afford to live). I don't like even unspoken rules excluding people from owning homes somewhere, whether it's because they're part of a racial or religious minority or because they're politically unpopular.

I personally wouldn't move somewhere that I didn't already love, nor would I expect others to change on my behalf, but I do think people have a right to propose change and vote for change whether they've been a resident citizen five generations or five months. That's democracy and I cherish the process even if I don't always like the results. The reality is that if the majority doesn't want a law against hunting or a new school or whatever the proposal is, it won't pass. And if the majority does want it, it should pass. So if you are truly convinced NH culture will never change, you don't need to worry about newcomers moving in and proposing change.

I DO think cultures change as demographics change and I understand why that's upsetting, particularly in southern NH where so many wealthy people have arrived from out of state. My parents live further north but my dad is already convinced the state is turning into VT! I think it's important to remember that this isn't happening only in NH. Change is happening all over the country, in some cases for the good and in some for the bad. While it's awful to see property taxes rising, as a former resident of the midwest I can tell you it's also pretty grim to see real estate values dropping daily and a massive brain drain as people move OUT in droves.

For the record, I don't hunt but I do eat lots of meat and I have nothing against it. We are small business owners and have been absolutely battered by super liberal employment laws here in CA so this is not a defense of myself in particular. And my family has been in NH in one capacity or another for generations. So I'm not really defending myself here. But in principle, I'm very glad to live in a country where people are free to move about as they please, participate in the political process, and of course, speak their minds for or against anything! And I think the best way to fight unwanted change is to rally voters against it, not try to keep people out.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:58 AM

202 posts, read 504,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Your post of N.H. sounds exactly like how it is here in Alaska. I agree with you 100% and feel the same way about those moving up here. They come up here with their politically correct bull whining about the moose being in the city or how it isn't like where they left. I say also to them, you are not welcome, stay where you are! Anchorage has become full of these politically correct, yuppie types which is why I'd never live in Anchorage. Problem is these transplants now move outside of Anchorage with their stupid, useless whining and ideas. SO FOLKS DON'T COME TO ALASKA IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN WHAT GREENMARTIAN HAS POSTED; IT HOLDS TRUE FOR UP HERE ALSO.
Yes, it is a shock to some of these people when they are out in a NH state park or other area and hunters kill a moose or deer and begin gutting it in front of them. They freak out and start crying or puking or both. Or they yell at the hunters and call them murderers and that sort of thing.

It's shocking to me at how poorly educated some of these left-wing people are...it's apparent that nobody has taught them about scientific land/animal management practices and the virtues of hunting to maintain appropriate levels of particular kinds of animals. The ignorance is astounding.

And some people - like the ones from Massachusetts, California, etc - have been brainwashed by their governments to believe that only police should have guns. So when they see people with guns walking down the street, they panic and call the police. These people don't belong in New Hampshire or Alaska or any place outside of a large city. They have led a very sheltered existence and need to remain someplace where they can pretend that there are no guns.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:00 AM

I'm very glad to live in a country where people are free to move about as they please, participate in the political process, and of course, speak their minds for or against anything! And I think the best way to fight unwanted change is to rally voters against it, not try to keep people out.

HEAR HEAR!!!! someone who gets it! LIVE FREE or DIE!!!!!

I welcome all to come to our beautiful state! The more, the better! The variety is part of the distinctive flavor of life in NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire