Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:54 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,440,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbottles View Post
Boo-hoo! I've lived in North Carolina my whole life and it costs more to live here now than it ever has. Thanks to uppity northerners like you overpopulating my state but you don't see me putting up posts telling all Northern people to not move to the south, states change! Deal with it! You can defend your statements all you want but you still pigeonholed one group of people. You also made this a political debate when you decided to call everyone that doesn't have the same view as you Politically Correct Leftists. And don't try to attack the south either I was raised here and my family roots stem from Long Island to Michigan.
There was no pigeon-holing of any group of people. And furthermore, northerners are not uppity anymore then some of the southern folks. So you just pigeon-holed a group of people - northern people to be exact. My husband was born in Queens and raised in Long Island, so what is your point there?? My dad was born in Tenn., and my mom in W.Va.

The discussion was about transplants leaving one place and then going elsewhere trying tomake it exactly what they left. I would think you of all people living where you do would understand that, especially with the large population of illegals you have there and I think they are the ones taking the jobs, not the northern people.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:55 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
NH has come to a point where the property taxes are unable to support the state so something needs to be done. What is currently happening is the middle class and the poverty stricken are being forced out of their homes and the wealthy will be the only people left that can afford to live here. They are moving here in droves and have already snatched up most of the lake front property. They can afford to. It's a lot easier to live in an income tax free state when you make billions of dollars per year.
I don't know what is more sad, how far you are from the truth or that you actually believe what you posted.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:58 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,141,192 times
to the people are considering a move to NH and think the OP is correct - it is wrong!

NH welcomes you! You can TRY to change our laws, but most likely you won't be successful. Don't believe that others won't talk to you, because that is just nonsense! We don't care what you believe, just don't try to change our beliefs.

We eat the meat we hunt....heck, we even have a roadkill restaurant! The state sells roadkill to the highest bidders at annual auctions. We do love our weapons and the majority of us own them. Some of us carry them at all times.

WE ADORE politically correct people! COME ON UP to NH!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:24 PM

66 posts, read 298,198 times
Great thread! NO INCOME TAX! NO SALES TAX! More taxes will force the middle class and lower income and wealthy out of NH. You don't see people moving to NJ, MASS, and other states that have gone that route. New Hampshire is for self-reliant people, not government dependent people. You do not want a strong centralized NH government. The tried and true of the local town is what has kept people involved and your vote actually means something. Let's hope NH remains the Live free or die state!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:31 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by east2west View Post
Great thread! NO INCOME TAX! NO SALES TAX! More taxes will force the middle class and lower income and wealthy out of NH. You don't see people moving to NJ, MASS, and other states that have gone that route. New Hampshire is for self-reliant people, not government dependent people. You do not want a strong centralized NH government. The tried and true of the local town is what has kept people involved and your vote actually means something. Let's hope NH remains the Live free or die state!
The moonbats need people on the .gov nipple, it's guaranteed votes come election time.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:37 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,331,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
The moonbats need people on the .gov nipple, it's guaranteed votes come election time.
Exactly!!!

Old 04-15-2008, 01:26 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,141,192 times
it's hard to ignore some of the obvious problems with how NH currently raises funds. The property tax method sounds good on paper. Who doesn't like the idea of a consumption based tax? The bigger home or car you buy, the more tax you pay. Sounds fair, right? Well maybe at the time you choose to make that purchase it is. But if you are still paying 50 years later, at prices 10 times higher than what you paid for it, is that fair?

For those of us still earning incomes, we have control over the choices we make in regards to purchasing a home and being able to afford the mortgage and taxes. But for those of us living in the same home for decades, there is no control over the skyrocketing property values, leaving many with only one choice, to sell their life long home.

The reality is NH's population is aging, and housing prices have jumped dramatically. With that comes higher tax bills for everyone, including an increasing number of retirees trying to survive on a fixed income. As a result, New Hampshire is in real danger of losing its small family owned farms to development, and with it much of the charm that makes this state such a great place to live and vacation.

We need to change HOW we raise money, not HOW MUCH. The burden overall remains the same, we just move it onto people who are actually earning income. Unless of course you enjoy watching your retirement account dwindle with each sky high property tax bill when you are 85. Why pay taxes your whole life, when you could be done at retirement?

I've watched in Yankee Magazine over the years an ongoing paradox: venues like Yankee entice people to come live here by hawking nice properties, and on the other hand, print articles lamenting how the increased population drives locals out of their homes as a result of rising property tax costs. It's not equitable.

I lost my home on Lake Winnipesaukee because I could not afford $30K per year in property taxes on a summer place assessed at just under $250K. Waterfront homes are taxed by the foot of frontage on the lake and not by the thousand like other homes. The property was purchased by a billiionaire that knocked down the cottage and replaced it with a 4 story home and he can easily afford the current taxes of $150K per year

I lived in Derry for 22 years and my taxes increased exponentially from $700 per year to almost $10K per year. I HAD to move. I didn't WANT to move. I'm sure I am just one of MANY seniors that find it difficult to afford to live in this state.

I gave up my wood stove years ago because of the pollution factor. I hated the fact that my stove might be killing the asthmatic kid that lived up the street. However, thanks to the rising oil prices, I've reinstalled the stove. If I want to remain here, I have to make changes.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:37 PM

108 posts, read 375,180 times
Talking ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
He doesn't care. In typical liberal fashion he will continue to spew his far left agenda in hopes that the more he says it the more people will accept it.

It's typical of the passive aggressive types.
I don't appreciate your personal attacks. You know nothing about me. You don't know if i'm democrat or republican. I could agree with you completely, but you choose to personally attack people so i'm fighting back and it bothers you. you just started a post for people can agree you, not to have a constructive debate.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:39 PM

108 posts, read 375,180 times
Default ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
There was no pigeon-holing of any group of people. And furthermore, northerners are not uppity anymore then some of the southern folks. So you just pigeon-holed a group of people - northern people to be exact. My husband was born in Queens and raised in Long Island, so what is your point there?? My dad was born in Tenn., and my mom in W.Va.

The discussion was about transplants leaving one place and then going elsewhere trying tomake it exactly what they left. I would think you of all people living where you do would understand that, especially with the large population of illegals you have there and I think they are the ones taking the jobs, not the northern people.
Oh darn they took all the fast food jobs and landscaping jobs.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:42 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,331,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
it's hard to ignore some of the obvious problems with how NH currently raises funds. The property tax method sounds good on paper. Who doesn't like the idea of a consumption based tax? The bigger home or car you buy, the more tax you pay. Sounds fair, right? Well maybe at the time you choose to make that purchase it is. But if you are still paying 50 years later, at prices 10 times higher than what you paid for it, is that fair?

For those of us still earning incomes, we have control over the choices we make in regards to purchasing a home and being able to afford the mortgage and taxes. But for those of us living in the same home for decades, there is no control over the skyrocketing property values, leaving many with only one choice, to sell their life long home.

The reality is NH's population is aging, and housing prices have jumped dramatically. With that comes higher tax bills for everyone, including an increasing number of retirees trying to survive on a fixed income. As a result, New Hampshire is in real danger of losing its small family owned farms to development, and with it much of the charm that makes this state such a great place to live and vacation.

We need to change HOW we raise money, not HOW MUCH. The burden overall remains the same, we just move it onto people who are actually earning income. Unless of course you enjoy watching your retirement account dwindle with each sky high property tax bill when you are 85. Why pay taxes your whole life, when you could be done at retirement?

I've watched in Yankee Magazine over the years an ongoing paradox: venues like Yankee entice people to come live here by hawking nice properties, and on the other hand, print articles lamenting how the increased population drives locals out of their homes as a result of rising property tax costs. It's not equitable.

I lost my home on Lake Winnipesaukee because I could not afford $30K per year in property taxes on a summer place assessed at just under $250K. Waterfront homes are taxed by the foot of frontage on the lake and not by the thousand like other homes. The property was purchased by a billiionaire that knocked down the cottage and replaced it with a 4 story home and he can easily afford the current taxes of $150K per year

I lived in Derry for 22 years and my taxes increased exponentially from $700 per year to almost $10K per year. I HAD to move. I didn't WANT to move. I'm sure I am just one of MANY seniors that find it difficult to afford to live in this state.

I gave up my wood stove years ago because of the pollution factor. I hated the fact that my stove might be killing the asthmatic kid that lived up the street. However, thanks to the rising oil prices, I've reinstalled the stove. If I want to remain here, I have to make changes.
Move it onto the people earning income? How much more are we middle class people living paycheck to paycheck supposed to pay? How much more? Should we just sign over our checks to people on welfare and those who are retired? It is bad enough that I have paid into social security since I was 14 and I will never see a dime but now tax me more because I am a responsible person who works for a living? I am sorry but there are cuts that can be made-we do not need a redistribution of wealth! That is already done enough in this state and in this country.

Last edited by nicolem; 04-15-2008 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire