Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:54 PM

6,585 posts, read 6,758,126 times

Advertisements

I have homes in several states, but NH is simply the best place to live in the country. I've been around these parts since I was a boy, and though I have to move around for work the day will soon come where I will be able to spend more time here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 09:42 AM

641 posts, read 2,372,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble finding work, rooster. You're in the right region for your major, at least. Lots of tech/programming work here. Hopefully you'll find something soon. Have you tried applying at any of the co's in Nashua? BAE systems & Oracle, or even United Health Care. Best of luck to you!!
Can't until I finish up in school. But It's good to hear that, thank you for telling me that.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,855,481 times
BAE just bagged a big contract. Maybe they need interns or similar.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:47 AM

239 posts, read 355,865 times
I would love it in NH i we could move there.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:50 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,183,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelStateNative View Post
I would love it in NH i we could move there.
You'll be here before you know it....we're all figuring out a way to get you guys here sooner rather than later!

If we have to, we'll just have to have Country beam you guys up to the mother ship and then beam you down here in NH!

Old 07-29-2008, 06:05 PM

311 posts, read 996,823 times
After reading some of your posts about the difficulty finding jobs, I realized that almost everyone I know is working in a position/industry/career/job (whatever you want to call it) that has nothing to do with their college major. In fact, I can only think of a few people that are working at anything remotely related to their majors.

I majored in social work and have credits towards a master's in counseling...never done anything in that field. My husband was a history major with a minor in New Hampshire Studies...never done anything in that field.

At least in our neck of the woods, you find whatever job pays the bills and makes you happy (hopefully both at the same time).

Anyone else find this to be the case?

Old 07-29-2008, 06:17 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,046,862 times
I see that a lot in many places, though. I got a degree in English Lit (and most of a degree in History), yet I work as a massage therapist and hopefully soon sewing costumes for body-builders. But.. DH has a degree in Elec Engineering and one in Physics (yeah, he's an over-achiever) and he works doing hardware design of some sort, so he does actually work in his degree field. But then, it's also his hobby and about all he does.

I find about all the college degree really does is buy you time to grow up a bit, get more experiences, and show that you have the ability to learn something. Other than that, it's pretty much wallpaper.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:19 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,183,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhampshiregirl View Post
After reading some of your posts about the difficulty finding jobs, I realized that almost everyone I know is working in a position/industry/career/job (whatever you want to call it) that has nothing to do with their college major. In fact, I can only think of a few people that are working at anything remotely related to their majors.

I majored in social work and have credits towards a master's in counseling...never done anything in that field. My husband was a history major with a minor in New Hampshire Studies...never done anything in that field.

At least in our neck of the woods, you find whatever job pays the bills and makes you happy (hopefully both at the same time).

Anyone else find this to be the case?
When we moved, I brought my job with me, so to speak. I'm a medical transcriptionist and I work for a national firm. All I did was change my location and I was all set.....hubby, who used to work for IBM returned to his "first love" of working with wood and now is a furniture maker

Old 07-29-2008, 06:25 PM

311 posts, read 996,823 times
You're absolutely right Wanna. But, man, that degree can be some expensive wallpaper, huh? I have a son in college now and a daughter who's a senior in h.s. and shopping around for colleges. I'm torn between wanting them to go to good/prestigious colleges and going to an affordable state university or technical school because my experience has shown that the name of the college and the degree major don't always equate with your ultimate career choice and income level.

Luckily, my son's going to a really good school (i.e. has a certain level of prestige and a high acceptance rate to grad/medical school) AND he got a terrific financial aid package that makes it affordable. Unfortunately, it's in Ohio. Not on the other side of the world, but for us it seems that way.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:39 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,706,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
You'll be here before you know it....we're all figuring out a way to get you guys here sooner rather than later!

If we have to, we'll just have to have Country beam you guys up to the mother ship and then beam you down here in NH!
sounds good to us the "house fell through" so now just gotta get to Friday and we can set dates for the visit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire