Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 05:25 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
IMO, you are not an "American" (regardless of where you were born or your citizenship status) if you do not understand, on some level, the significance of building there. It would be like building a Vietnamese cultural center a few blocks away from the Vietnam memorial. Or a Japanese cultural center a few blocks away from the Pearl Harbor memorial.
never been to Hawaii have you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 05:47 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
If you're referring to the Japanese Cultural Center of Hawaii, that is about 14 mies from the actual harbor. Not 2 blocks away in a building/ship that was damaged in the attack.

Or is there one that IS really close?

No, I've never been to Hawaii, either. But it might make a fun trip someday.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:57 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
If you're referring to the Japanese Cultural Center of Hawaii, that is about 14 mies from the actual harbor. Not 2 blocks away in a building/ship that was damaged in the attack.

Or is there one that IS really close?

No, I've never been to Hawaii, either. But it might make a fun trip someday.
well where i grew up, i lived 20 miles from my high school. that's called everywhere else in the country but NYC. 14 miles is nothing. it's right there. takes 10 minutes to get from one to the other. and the island is full of Japanese people. i was just calling out the irony of it.

mosques are being fought all over the country, not just at ground zero. you're missing the much larger point than just this mosque at this location.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:01 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times
Quote:
...why don't you talk to a muslim about this?
I have to agree. Most Muslims that I have meet from different parts of the world DO NOT believe in conversion or Jihad. They are very happy to let anyone live as they wish as long as things that go against their faith are not being pushed or forced upon them.

Having said that, I'm not so innocent as to think that having the center so close would not be used to further the terrorists agenda. It gives them another mark on their belt as to what they claim they have been able to achieve against us (even tho I know the people behind this center have not been linked to terrorists organizations)

Quote:
No I haven't. If you are referring to the Shinto and Buddhist shrines in Hawaii, I may be mistaken but I believe other than one that I think was there previous to the Pearl Harbor attack, the closest is almost 5 miles away. As well, while Shinto beliefs state that the Emperor is God, the attacks were not made in the name of religion even though religion was used to push the governments ideas on the people. Further, the Japanese Cultural Center in Honolulu is over 10 miles away from the USS Arizona Memorial site.

Finally, I think a community center is a wonderful idea. I think it would help promote healing and bring much needed activity and jobs to a very desolate area of the city. I do not think one focusing on a particular faith, especially one that was/is used to promote terrorist activity, the same terrorist activity that brought down the towers, is appropriate ANYWHERE near lower Manhattan. If they want to build it near or above central park (thats about 5 miles away from GZ) I have no problem with that.

-edit-
I also have no problem with mosques being built anywhere else in the country. I am not religious but I respect peoples freedom to be able to take part in whatever religion they choose.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:23 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
Quote:
well where i grew up, i lived 20 miles from my high school. that's called everywhere else in the country but NYC. 14 miles is nothing. it's right there. takes 10 minutes to get from one to the other.
Google Maps put it at about 19 minutes, fwiw.

Quote:
and the island is full of Japanese people.
And NJ and NYC are filled with middle-eastern and aisian-indian folks. This thread is not about the population, it's about the location chosen for the mosque.

Quote:
i was just calling out the irony of it.
Again, there's a HUGE difference between needing a building that was hit by the debris of the attack, and having it 14 miles away.

Quote:
mosques are being fought all over the country, not just at ground zero. you're missing the much larger point than just this mosque at this location.
I realize this is now the case. Was it the case before this bonehead decided to build one near GZ? I'm not sure, but I think this incident has caused this outcry.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
you obviously have no idea what you're talking about, or are using some sort of propaganda that you were fed. why don't you talk to a muslim about this?
everything im saying is true. just look it up. i believe if you search the word "caliphate" it should give you a little info about the goal to unite the world under islamic law. the jihad thing is something muslims and the ignorant try to say is an internal struggle not a holy war against non-muslims. they are trying to be tricky. jihad is both internal and exteral, it is the muslims duty to spread the religion and to stop the spread of other religions. in some muslims countries, the penalty for a muslim to convert to christianity is death. sounds like extremist? its islamic law. its amazing how they spoke of murdering people for burning a book and people called the priest the crazy one. as if killing people for some guy burning paper makes any sense. ill tell you something, it makes sense to muslims. right? you know im right. all the sudden your friendly muslim neighbor thinks killing someone for burning paper makes more sense than the guy burning the paper. they arent gonna tell you that they would be happy if the guy gets killed right? but i guarantee they will be happy.

its all out there, just do your research.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 09-13-2010 at 07:49 PM..

Old 09-13-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLuckoftheDraw View Post
You're broadening the discussion wildly there. I had commented that I was surprised that someone might actually believe that all Muslims see the U.S. as an enemy and want to destroy it. That's a universal claim ("all x") about something very specific ("have view y"). That there are various ways that Islam is instantiated in different countries, that some Muslims have particular views, etc., wouldn't support anything about that universal claim.
all muslims who truly follow their religion do. however, many of them dont. so if you want to see who supports the terrorists or even maybe their goals, not every single one will. however, the "extremists" run the show on the national and global level. most of the muslims (even if they arent strict followers of the religion) will allow the country to move in the direction of the religion. they wont "vote" against it. at a certain level, they know its us vs them. the majority will not be with us.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:47 PM

429 posts, read 931,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
all muslims who truly follow their religion do.
As if "truly following a religion" is a cut and dried issue for ANY religion.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLuckoftheDraw View Post
As if "truly following a religion" is a cut and dried issue for ANY religion.
you are right it isnt. i did address that. the ones who identify as muslim but still dont follow their religion strictly with side with the "extremists." because thats who they identify with and even though they dont follow the religion strictly, they have to side with it. the proof is all over the world and in the texts. im not making stuff up out of nowhere. its funny how we call them "extremists" when there a lot of entire countries where they rule.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:26 PM

205 posts, read 239,570 times
Here let you some thing to ponder. First why does Muslims own ground zero? Were they just raising the towers for the Insurance??? Also why in the hell didn't United States build back the twin towers as it was before??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey