Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 08:59 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
ok then. i don't want to see a catholic church within 15,000 blocks of an abortion clinic. it's intimidation of the doctors.
It's pretty troubling to know folks like Jon Stewart and you are making a huge joke out of the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp
why not just ban religion in the U.S.A since every major religion has been more than partially connected to a terrorist attack (even buddhism!).

9/11 was inspired by the religion of Islam. Now there's a proposal to build a mosque two blocks away from the site where nearly 3000 people were murdered by radical Islamist terrorists. Just because there are decent, loving people in a particular religion doesn't change the fact that it was their religion that inspired this attack. Although I'm personally no fan of religion, I don't blame nor am I prejudiced against Muslims. I just think it's disrespectful to those who died on 9/11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 09:00 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Since it's legal I would never want the state to put any pressure on those that want to build it.

That said, I personally think it's in poor taste and the height of insensitivity towards the families of the vicitms of the Islamic jihadists that murdered their loved ones.

It's in even poorer taste for any of the Islamic mosque supporters to cry racism, Islamophobia and all of that nonsense to those who are exercising their American right to protest.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:03 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
This is a difficult topic, because the hurt and pain inflicted in the attack is still very real for many people. I would pose a single question, what constitutes victory for the terrorists?

I would postulate that victory for the terrorists occurs when we abandon the values that America was founded upon and continue to guide us. We already seem complacent enough to allow our personal freedoms to be eroded in the pursuit of the illusion of security in the post 9/11 world.

Now we are faced with a question that is far deeper than being about sense or good taste. The freedom to practice ones religion in a time and place of their choosing is a core American value. Freedom of press, speech and religion co-exist as the cornerstone of our society. Weaken any one of these core principles and the rest will be weakened as well.

Allowing the building of this mosque is not a victory for Islam if that is the intention. It is a victory for America that we will not sacrifice our principles in the face of fear, anger and revenge.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:03 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Yeah ... I saw a few more of them on TV that night, celebrating in the streets, wagging their tongues, shooting in the air .... overjoyed at the murder of about 3,000 innocent people. Yup ... it's a peaceful religion, all right.

Compromise ... name it something else ... move it elsewhere, do SOMETHING. I see NO GOOD coming from this, and I don't think Park 51 is going to have an easy time at this location. There are a few "radical" americans around, too, who are probably going to make the existence of this place very difficult.

Unfortunately, this will cause more division than healing, in the long run. This "religion" nonsense only works to divide us. More people have been murdered because of beliefs in some supreme being (who always seems to talk of peace, ironically), than any other single reason.
while religion has been respondible for some terrible events in history (well, "responsible" in the sense that crazy people had something to blame their craziness on), they are also responsible for helping feeds millions every year, house millions every year, provide support to families in times of need. countless good things.

don't fall for the media's portrayal of religous zealots equaling all religious people. i'm no longer religious for personal reasons, but every single religious person I know personall does good things for other people on a regular basis, and largely, they learned those morals because of the people they were raised around.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:06 AM

293 posts, read 720,188 times
One of the fundamental reasons for the creation of this nation was freedom of religion. The people behind the project knows this fact very well. While they have the right to built a place of worship anywhere they want, the proposed site demonstrate their insensitivity. The city of New York is big enough to hold another mosque. This event has been highly politicized. But make no mistake, there are two sides of the coin. One side's agenda is to vulcanize our society. The other side, Islamic leaders, are beign used but they don't know it. Or maybe their blind pursuit to bring a caliphate to the new world surpasses any sense of dignity. Therefore, the media is not only using the average American for their ill agenda. They are also using the Muslim population to divide and conquer.

I personally think that building this mosque in the proposed site is of bad taste. The wound is very fresh. At the same time, I know a lot of Muslims are opposed to the site simply because they don't want negative attention. As it is, they already have it bad. Also, Muslims opposed to the project are average people with no political or economic power.

Sadly enough, Islam or their leaders are not tolerant people nor do they respect the freedom of others. For example, hardly anyone knows about the hardhips that Orthodox Christians confront to maintain their churches in countries like Egypt or Jordan. Let alone built a new one. Coptic Christians are persecuted, raped, tortured, and killed because of their Christian faith. And as Elford said, the images of outrage from a cartoonist exercising his freedom of speech in Denmark should serve as an indicator of the privileges they want for themselves, but they deny to others. But if it serves as any consolation, any religion will succumb in their own path of fanatic expansionism. Just looking at the decline of the Catholic church shows the future. Religions will disappear.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
It's pretty troubling to know folks like Jon Stewart and you are making a huge joke out of the whole thing.

9/11 was inspired by the religion of Islam. Now there's a proposal to build a mosque two blocks away from the site where nearly 3000 people were murdered by radical Islamist terrorists. Just because there are decent, loving people in a particular religion doesn't change the fact that it was their religion that inspired this attack. Although I'm personally no fan of religion, I don't blame nor am I prejudiced against Muslims. I just think it's disrespectful to those who died on 9/11.
no no no no.

9/11 was not inspired by the religion of Islam. that's the label you'd like to throw on it, but it's simply not true. Was Oklahoma City bombing inspired by Christiniaty? No, it's crazy people, who happen to be Christian or Islamic, that did idiotic crazy things.

You say you don't blame nor are you prejudiced against Muslims, but you blame Islan as the inspiration of 9/11. You're contradicting yourself whether you'd like to realize it or not.

just because they are crazy people in the world does not mean that their religion inspired this attack.

maybe it's disrespectful to those that died on 9/11 - that's a matter of opinion, and I happen to think it's only disrepectful if they're actually disrespecting the victims, which they are not. but it's also disrecpectful to assume that any Muslim act below Houston street is disrepectful to 9/11 victims. you're automatically associating good people with bad people simply because they share a religion in common.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
This is a difficult topic, because the hurt and pain inflicted in the attack is still very real for many people. I would pose a single question, what constitutes victory for the terrorists?

I would postulate that victory for the terrorists occurs when we abandon the values that America was founded upon and continue to guide us. We already seem complacent enough to allow our personal freedoms to be eroded in the pursuit of the illusion of security in the post 9/11 world.

Now we are faced with a question that is far deeper than being about sense or good taste. The freedom to practice ones religion in a time and place of their choosing is a core American value. Freedom of press, speech and religion co-exist as the cornerstone of our society. Weaken any one of these core principles and the rest will be weakened as well.

Allowing the building of this mosque is not a victory for Islam if that is the intention. It is a victory for America that we will not sacrifice our principles in the face of fear, anger and revenge.
i love the way you worded this. thank you! i've let my emotions get into my responses, and for that, i'm sorry. this is so eloquently stated.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Guitar View Post
Sadly enough, Islam or their leaders are not tolerant people nor do they respect the freedom of others. For example, hardly anyone knows about the hardhips that Orthodox Christians confront to maintain their churches in countries like Egypt or Jordan. Let alone built a new one. Coptic Christians are persecuted, raped, tortured, and killed because of their Christian faith. And as Elford said, the images of outrage from a cartoonist exercising his freedom of speech in Denmark should serve as an indicator of the privileges they want for themselves, but they deny to others. But if it serves as any consolation, any religion will succumb in their own path of fanatic expansionism. Just looking at the decline of the Catholic church shows the future. Religions will disappear.
yes it is sad that that goes on in Egypt, Jordan, and Denmark. Let's hope that that never happens in the great U.S.A....oh wait...we're actually discussing that happening right now. nevermind.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:25 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
i have no problem and i think the controversy this is stirring up is showing our ignorance.

not sure though, why they want to open on sept 11?

Old 08-26-2010, 12:48 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
you watch a bit too much fox news buddy. nice prerequisites for building in manhattan. i think we should require this of all nyc contractors!
I am far from your buddy. Still haven't seen answers though...just smart remarks. I'm sure you have more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey