Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 03:05 PM

149 posts, read 410,397 times

Advertisements

Oh man! Too many stories, but I'll try...
  • I badly injured my ankle on the Alpine Slide when I rammed into a noob s-l-o-w-l-y driving on the track. Still have the cracking ankle noise 25 years later
  • I was one of the brave/stupid to go in that dark loop tube. Took me about an hour to recover from the dizzyness. Once was enough.
  • I got a nice "injury" at the food court when the burger flipper splashed grease on my arm.
  • Surf Hill... guy in front of me took a running start, took a header, and got carried away. Later I went to First Aid to get some band-aids for another of my injuries, and I hear the doctors talking over the bed this kid was on... doctors says, "...it the lack of movement in his toes that concerns me".
  • Countless layers of skin removed on the Alpine Slide.
  • Almost drowning on the speed boat ride when the guy in front of me full-throttled away from the dock and I ate the wake.
Even with the apparent danger there, it was a great place to have a lot of fun. Also, watching someone get hurt more than me made my day as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 05:27 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
I never got to visit Action Park, but we used to go to Great Adventure several nights each week after work when I was younger.

We'd ride Lightning Loops time and time again each night. The downside was that the ride operators wouldn't let you stay on for multiple rides. They wanted you to go all the way down to the exit and then back up to ride again.

So being the adventurous 18 to 25 year olds that we were, we would go about halfway down the exit stairs, hop the rail, and then walk across the I Beam to get back over to the entrance stairs. You also had to time it right because when the ride launched the cars, the whole structure shook pretty good.

We saved alot of walking and stair climbing, but geesh, we took some crazy chances doing that. How fun!

Old 07-15-2009, 05:59 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,587,473 times
Default Vernon my hometown

Having lived in Vernon, NJ most of my adult life, we enjoyed the festivals that they had especially the German/beer fest. Being a local at the time, we tried to avoid Rt.94 during the weekends, the traffic backing up where the parking lot was. Locals would go down Sand Hill Rd. to avoid the parking lot, then they put the second lot in on Sand Hill Rd and it got backed up again.

For years chains Burger King, Micky D's all tried without success to get into the township for a piece of the action. Vernon is a town that hasn't changed much in 100 yrs. My parents both had businesses there before we all moved to Florida. Vernon is still my home, my daughter lives there along with her family and will not move anywhere else.

Yes, Vernon is Gods country......you have to love it.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:14 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
Action Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great write up about their accident problems. I miss it.
Hilarious! God that was a great place!

Old 07-15-2009, 10:44 PM

538 posts, read 2,458,410 times
My friends and I would drive up there after college classes were over, usually around 3:00 pm, and people who were leaving would tear off their wristbands and throw them in the parking lot. We'd pick them up, put them on, and get in for free. We did this nearly every day.

The best ride was the cannonball- it was a black tube where you couldn't see anything, it was very fast water slide, pitch black, and it would dump you into 50 degree water, completely disoriented from the darkness.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:34 AM

79 posts, read 127,589 times
America needs more Action Parks.

I was pretty young when I got to go on the Alpine Slide (just before they shut it down) and can vividly remember all the warning signs with graphic pictures of all the injuries. I don't think I've ever been to a place which celebrated injury or failure as much as Action Park/Mountain Creek. I remember standing in line for the Tarzan swing, as the entire line (probably a hundred people) jeered at everyone who failed horribly to hold on and booed those who did hold on (because that was boring). Good times.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:06 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
My friends and I would drive up there after college classes were over, usually around 3:00 pm, and people who were leaving would tear off their wristbands and throw them in the parking lot. We'd pick them up, put them on, and get in for free. We did this nearly every day.

The best ride was the cannonball- it was a black tube where you couldn't see anything, it was very fast water slide, pitch black, and it would dump you into 50 degree water, completely disoriented from the darkness.
50 degrees is NO exaggeration! I rafted the Colorado and that was warmer than the lake you were plunged into!

Old 07-16-2009, 06:15 AM

101 posts, read 460,770 times
Thanks samyn for posting this, you really got me into flashback mode! Ahhhhh great memories! I'll never forget my dad being that slowpoke with my lil bro in front of me on the Alpine slide. That was the best ride, and remember begging our parents to take us every summer

Old 07-16-2009, 06:18 AM

47 posts, read 252,878 times
Traction Park!

Old 07-16-2009, 07:07 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,603,160 times
Action Park was awesome, although we only had a chance to go there once.

Just one of those things that could never be recreated in today's lawsuit happy environment.

The other cool thing that NJ used to have, that could never be created were the big walk through haunted houses/castles at the Shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey