Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 05:45 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
I was just having the conversation with a friend from Tennessee who spent time in Atlanta also. I grew up in Northeast PA and went to school in Bethlehem. Two things about Jersey that surprised us both - horrible grocery stores and horrendous movie theaters.
One thing against us in NJ is that many of these stores were built in the 50s & 60s when in other expanding parts of the country they were built in the 80s & 90s. Cheapass companies just spruce up their dingy, small existing supermarkets instead and make NJ'ans lump it.

Pathmark usually ranked worst in supermarket surveys I've viewed. I agree

The stores with the five highest ratings were:
Wegmans
Trader Joe’s
Publix
Fareway Stores
Costco

The stores that received the lowest ratings were:
Pathmark
Wal-Mart Supercenter
Shaw’s
A&P
Jewel-Osco

Best and Worst Supermarkets - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 06:24 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsided2012 View Post
Another thing that's common in other regions is that their (already nicer and complete with beer and wine in every store) supermarkets are often open 24 hours. You won't find such things in good ole' NJ... There are even towns that make the all night CVS stores close their grocery aisles at 10pm.
Not true! I had a 24-hour A&P (and that had a liquor store inside) when I lived in Midland Park. I was a little put out when I moved down here to Monmouth County and found that none of the supermarkets are 24 hours, not even in summer when there are more people around. Not that it's sparsely populated or anything here in winter. I was just telling someone this the other day. Really surprised that not one is open all night, even on Route 35.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:49 PM

456 posts, read 833,540 times
A&P is the way to go.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
ShopRite has expanded to MD. My initial reaction was yuch! But at least it's better than Pantry Pride or Foodtown.
Pantry Pride still exists? I thought they went out decades ago! (Though Wikipedia suggests the corporate shell eventually bought and became Revlon... weird)

Old 01-24-2013, 12:37 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Pantry Pride still exists? I thought they went out decades ago! (Though Wikipedia suggests the corporate shell eventually bought and became Revlon... weird)
If it did, I would be surprised. That store was simply gross, but I recall Foodtown being worse. The most disgusting grocery I've every been in would be Winn-Dixie.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:36 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
I find the old, tiny Shop-Rite in West Caldwell very interesting architecturally. It seems to have an Asian theme, complete with matching phone booths! Even the aisle numbers have Chinese or Japanese calligraphy (I completely forgot to take any photos of them. I'll do that next time).

Old 01-24-2013, 07:11 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
I find the old, tiny Shop-Rite in West Caldwell very interesting architecturally. It seems to have an Asian theme, complete with matching phone booths! Even the aisle numbers have Chinese or Japanese calligraphy (I completely forgot to take any photos of them. I'll do that next time).

I love it! I've never seen that one. Thanks!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:16 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Is this the one on Passiac Ave?? If so I've never even noticed..wow

Old 01-24-2013, 08:25 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
I think the most amazing thing is that they still have two phone booths!

With the huge percentage of people carrying cell phones nowadays, the use of phone booths has dropped to the point that Verizon has removed most of them. Perhaps these booths are owned and operated by a third-tier (rip-off) telecommunications company.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I love it! I've never seen that one. Thanks!
I used to buy my groceries there in college. Really bizarre-in my current life I actually ended up having a colleague who went on to work for Wakefern (parent company of Shop-Rite) who told me that the owner of that particular location just was really into Asian culture (but not Asian himself) and wanted to decorate the store that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey