Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 05:49 AM

69 posts, read 492,201 times

Advertisements

I totaly agree why can't builder's build homes staring at $300,000 anymore AND why do people need a 4,000 sq ft of home??? with maybe 1/2 acre of land and that's being generous I might add. Not to be mean or anything but it's the people coming here from the city buying these homes because they can sell their 1 or 2 bedroom condo in the city or whatever for an outragous price and buy these homes here and have about an hour or so commuting (In good weather!!!) and think it's just wonderful. Until they do it for a few years and get tired of it. I have lived here all of my life and can not afford to move because of all of the MC MANSIONS!!!!!! being built. All you get for around $350,00 is a 35-40yr old home with tons of work to be done on it. I'm real sorry for the Explosion but thats how I feel and thats what this forum is all about right speaking your opinon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2006, 07:10 AM

58 posts, read 286,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Do NOT use an inspector referred by a RE agent (agents generally refer lenient inspectors who aren't "deal killers")- seek out an inspector who works specifically with new construction, and cheak his credentials.
Oops. When we bought, it wasn't new construction, but as I recall...the inspector was referred by the Realtor. I was so young and innocent...

Been 7 years...so far so good.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howellnj View Post
All you get for around $350,000 is a 35-40yr old home with tons of work to be done on it.
And that's a best case scenario...

Old 09-08-2006, 04:48 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
Well, I don't know anything about the development, but the reservoir itself is lovely - I used to walk the 5 mile walk around it for exercise, and it is very peaceful. Howell is a nice town.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:03 PM

14 posts, read 67,058 times
Thanks for all your input. We made a deposit and look forward to moving to Howell. I have told my friends about it and three different families we know are going there this weekend to take a look.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:40 AM

Welcome. Indeed Howell is a nice town. We like it a lot.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:06 AM

14 posts, read 67,058 times
Default Welfare on the way??

I was just reading that Corzine and Co. want to place hudreds of low income apartments into Howell.

This brings the gang members, unwed mothers and the 4th generation welfare reciepient. I will not even go into the overcrowing of the schools by people that pay NO R.E. Taxes. One of the proposed sites is about 5 miles from this "McMansion" development, as "NJ Howell" calls it.
Time to reconsider

Hey NJHowell, let me know if any of the "McMansion" owners you so dispise, carjack anyone.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:03 PM

Morton...Where did you see that?

Old 09-15-2006, 04:49 PM

69 posts, read 492,201 times
hey you what Morton you are so right ...... Where you are going to or not going to live the low income aprtments are right upthe road across route 9.
Think you should reconcider you don't want to pay aleast 700,000 for a home and live close to that

Old 09-15-2006, 05:19 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Personally, I just laugh at all of you naive people who are spending twice as much for half the house that you could snag up here in PA! ;o) Most of the "McMansion" neighborhoods springing up in Scranton's 'burbs range in price from $250,000-$400,000, and these homes are the 4BR/2.5 BA, 2-car garage, 3/4-acre lot with swimming pool, etc. variety too! Couple that with the very low cost-of-living in Scranton, and the people here actually have more consumer spending power than many of you who spend half of your incomes just to pay the mortgage, utilities, and property taxes! If you don't believe me, consider that the median household income in the region is about $10,000 less than the national average, yet it seems as if perhaps 15% of the households here own a vehicle priced at $30,000 or more. By spending less money on housing, people here have more income at their disposal!

I plan on snagging a nice Victorian fixer-upper or loft apartment in the vicinity of Downtown Scranton after college graduation, and I'll commute two hours each way via the new commuter rail line between Scranton and Hoboken. I'll be earning $70,000+ by age 30 as a senior-level accountant in Manhattan, yet I'll be purchasing a home for roughly $100,000. What does this mean for me? Well, I'll be spending only about 10% of my net income on the mortgage, utilities, and taxes, which leaves me with the other 90% to spend as I please, as I also plan to utilize mass transit and Scranton's walkable neighborhoods to make the hassle of owning a car avoidable. Meanwhile, you fools are pouring $750,000 into McMansions in NJ and spending multiple times as much on a mortgage while battling gridlock for 90 minutes each day for work? Why? Is that truly the "American Dream?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: