Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 10:20 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,089,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
And my friend in Westfield told me he went to Target yesterday (Thursday) to get some odds and ends and it was already a madhouse, all the gallon water was gone and the entire camping aisle was cleaned out! This has me worried. Should I be doing more than sitting here assuming it won't be THAT bad?

Now, obviously, south Jersey shore towns have real reason for concern.

But what about the REST of NJ? Who else has to worry, and how much do we have to worry?
This always happens. The weather forecasters get a kickback from retail stores like target, home depot, lowes etc. They hype up a big storm ie - hurricane, snow, heat wave, etc, and then the people go mad and buy all those items like 5 shovels, 50 gallons of water, 2 extra sump pumps, boats, life vests and every other seasonal item they need to clear out of stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:22 AM

45 posts, read 203,440 times
Mandatory evacuation has been called for Keansburg by 3PM today.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:22 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
Ahh, simple instructions even I can follow. Thank you.
You're welcome. If I had done that before Floyd I would have realized that the sump pump was working, but not well & could have prevented hours of bailing.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:27 AM

819 posts, read 3,208,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
reposting this link..

State Of Emergency Declared In New Jersey Ahead Of Hurricane Irene « CBS Philly

Since he's at the shore what I would worry about leaving on Saturday is traffic. We rent down there every year and all the condo/vacation rental renters have to be out of their units by 11.. so traffic getting out of there is horrendous. Usually we leave on Friday nights just to avoid that.
Thanks. I actually went down last night to get him. The ride down was 1.5 hrs - getting home - omg 3 hours! It was so bad. Glad he is home safe though

Old 08-26-2011, 10:43 AM

45 posts, read 203,440 times
Christie just announced they are closing the Parkway from Exit 98 south starting at 9:00 PM tonight.

I have never seen anything like that!

Old 08-26-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I find it interesting that this particular event is showing the vast difference in focus on this forum. Since most people here live in North Jersey, that is the focus. If you live in North Jersey (aka north of I-195) chances are this storm will have very little impact on you and your area other than "some wind and rain". At worst you can probably expect to lose power and deal with some localized flooding.

However, if you live in South Jersey and especially along the shore points, it's shaping up to be a much more impactful event. I find it somewhat distasteful that some are cracking jokes about TV reception and what snacks they are going to have while some people in this state are under mandatory evacuations, living in shelters and facing the possibility of losing their homes. It's like people in NW Louisianna cracking jokes about Katrina while people in NOLA and the Delta were running for their lives.

Who knows what the ultimate impact will be. Right now they are putting out two scenarios. The worst case is that the storm comes into the DE Bay and makes a direct landfall in Cape May. They are predicting 100+ mph winds and a major storm surge. That kind of hit will be devastating to the shore and impact communities all along the DE Bay and River from storm surge and flooding.

The second and more likely scenario has it tracking ~50 miles off the coast. This will have 85+ mph winds and a lower storm surge. Still impactful, particularly to coastal communities, but not as bad for people inland.

Still, it is ultimately best to be prepared. At best in South Jersey we will be facing a lot of rain and localized flooding and will probably be without power for a significant time. At worst, we'll experience major flooding and structural damage. The same people saying this is nothing and won't have an impact were probably also the same people saying how stupid people were in the Gulf Coast for not evacuating ahead of Katrina and being prepared.

I guess, what I am saying is, even if the storm won't have much of an impact for the people represented on this particular forum, that doesn't mean that there aren't people whose lives are already being turned upside down and are squarely in the danger zone.
+5

It will all depend on 2 things. It will depend on the speed leaving the Outer Banks & the path it takes in NJ. Right now the wind speeds are lower than anticipated but the storm surge at the OBX is expected to be 6 - 11 feet, if not worse. The islands will be submerged.

I've tried to assist people & the snotty comments tell something about the people who post them.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyLover21 View Post
Christie just announced they are closing the Parkway from Exit 98 south starting at 9:00 PM tonight.

I have never seen anything like that!
I posted earlier that roads will close. I've seen it many times. If they leave the roads open & you get on & either the road itself is flooded or the road takes you to a flooded area & you drown, there's going to be a lawsuit.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:17 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,098,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
Thanks. I actually went down last night to get him. The ride down was 1.5 hrs - getting home - omg 3 hours! It was so bad. Glad he is home safe though

oh good.. That's good to hear. I was thinking about you this morning and wondering if your son got out in time. My guys left last night at 2am to avoid the rush of traffic but they're all home safe.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:27 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I find it interesting that this particular event is showing the vast difference in focus on this forum. Since most people here live in North Jersey, that is the focus. If you live in North Jersey (aka north of I-195) chances are this storm will have very little impact on you and your area other than "some wind and rain". At worst you can probably expect to lose power and deal with some localized flooding.

However, if you live in South Jersey and especially along the shore points, it's shaping up to be a much more impactful event. I find it somewhat distasteful that some are cracking jokes about TV reception and what snacks they are going to have while some people in this state are under mandatory evacuations, living in shelters and facing the possibility of losing their homes. It's like people in NW Louisianna cracking jokes about Katrina while people in NOLA and the Delta were running for their lives.

Who knows what the ultimate impact will be. Right now they are putting out two scenarios. The worst case is that the storm comes into the DE Bay and makes a direct landfall in Cape May. They are predicting 100+ mph winds and a major storm surge. That kind of hit will be devastating to the shore and impact communities all along the DE Bay and River from storm surge and flooding.

The second and more likely scenario has it tracking ~50 miles off the coast. This will have 85+ mph winds and a lower storm surge. Still impactful, particularly to coastal communities, but not as bad for people inland.

Still, it is ultimately best to be prepared. At best in South Jersey we will be facing a lot of rain and localized flooding and will probably be without power for a significant time. At worst, we'll experience major flooding and structural damage. The same people saying this is nothing and won't have an impact were probably also the same people saying how stupid people were in the Gulf Coast for not evacuating ahead of Katrina and being prepared.

I guess, what I am saying is, even if the storm won't have much of an impact for the people represented on this particular forum, that doesn't mean that there aren't people whose lives are already being turned upside down and are squarely in the danger zone.
i will feel bad when something actually happens. since nothing major will happen, i dont anticipate feeling bad.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:37 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i will feel bad when something actually happens. since nothing major will happen, i dont anticipate feeling bad.
And nobody ever expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey