Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 01:31 AM

143 posts, read 302,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
thats where they made their mistake. i will try to make myself more available to the television meteorologists next time so they can interview me on the air.

it is pretty funny that you are trying to make it as if i was wrong. i was right, you were wrong. as i have said before, new jersey does not get powerful hurricanes. hurricane irene further proved my point.

just ran into this article out of the uk. seems even the brits have seen how ridiculous the expectations of this hurricane has been.

Perfect Storm of Hype: Politicians, the media and the Hurricane Irene apocalypse that never was – Telegraph Blogs
Perfect Storm of Hype: Politicians, the media and the Hurricane Irene apocalypse that never was

It's always nice to know that Captain Crunch will always be there for us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 04:46 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,104,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
There is another one brewing out in the Atlantic, do you propose the National weather service wait until the buildings start falling before they issue a warning?

One thing for sure Americans are the best Monday morning quarterbacks in the world.
No, I think you are mistaking my comment-
The Intent of my message was the MEDIA over Hyped , I do not recall the National Weather Service or the Hurricane center

My intention was to mention if you cry foul too many times sooner or later you do not have people that listen to the warnings.

Hardly doubt you could argue that case.

Think about this you have the largest percentage of people in the united states coupled with the largest media outlets and the larges audience.

Of course the media is going to HYPE all they really care about are the ratings

the worst spot was actually NC where the hurricane hit and the storm weakend after that point

Old 08-29-2011, 04:50 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,104,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
+5

At no point did I attempt to scare anyone, but based on my experience of riding these things out in the Delaware Valley, in South Jersey, I tried to impress the importance of being prepared & then hoping for the best. For that, I earned the Captain's scorn.

The experts got everything right on the path. Because of that path, natives of eastern NC who have never evacuated left.

Where I currently live in the western fringe of the Charlotte metro, we were supposed to get 2 1/2 days of rain. The day before Irene was supposed to hit SC waters, our local meteorologists said that we would get a Midwestern "cool" front with dry air that would protect us. Apparently it went down into SC & while Irene was going from Charleston to Myrtle Beach, the experts saw dry air feeding into & weakening the storm at the time that Irene was supposed to be strengthening to smash into the Outer Banks. So, Irene went into the Outer Banks weaker than expected, but still at hurricane strength & left at hurricane strength. Irene got to South Jersey at hurricane strength.

What should we expect? Damage is damage. If you have a prolonged power outage or a tree on your house, you had a negative impact from the storm.

I found the live feed for KYW-TV's life feed of storm coverage in Philadelphia & South Jersey. I saw Chris Christie's meeting with reporters. Not once did he thank county officials who started the evacuations while he was on vacation, but he took credit for it. This in comparison to Bev publicly thanking county & local officials. A reporter asked about the flooding near the Delaware & he made it clear that he wasn't concerned.
Interesting of course my monday morning quarterbacking a cool front hitting a massive pressure system is likely to dampen a tropical storm.
Your weather person sounds like they knew this and should be proud of the skill demonstrated

Old 08-29-2011, 06:07 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Interesting of course my monday morning quarterbacking a cool front hitting a massive pressure system is likely to dampen a tropical storm.
Your weather person sounds like they knew this and should be proud of the skill demonstrated
I suggest you try to convince those who lost property in this non hurricane that it was just a little rain storm.

Have you seen the damage in New England? Did the hurricane slow down over NJ and then strengthen when it went North?

This was a major hurricane in the amount of damage it caused.
It was not a 4 or 5 but nobody predicted it would be.

There will always be buffoons spouting their nonsense about what does and does not occur in NJ and this time as usual they were wrong.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:13 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Have you seen the damage in New England? Did the hurricane slow down over NJ and then strengthen when it went North?
No, it slowed down even more. It wasn't nearly as strong when it his New England.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:24 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
One positive in this mess--i stood outside for a while last night looking at all the stars I normally can't see when the neighborhood is lit up!

Old 08-29-2011, 06:41 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Power was just turned back on , it think this storm was way over hyped....and Govt / the Media needs to answer to us....

Old 08-29-2011, 07:05 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Our local weather people did just as much hype on Irene as everyone else. People used to think that Charlotte couldn't get hit, until Hurricane Hugo proved that wrong. People in the Charlotte area are petrified of Atlantic hurricanes as they pass from Charleston to Myrtle Beach.

The wild card in the whole Hurricane Irene scenario was the dry air that came into the western Piedmont of NC. Our wx people saw it the night before Irene's passage from Charleston, SC to Wilmington, NC. The next night, while looking at the day's Weather Channel videos, I saw one of the experts commenting that the storm was losing strength between Charleston & Myrtle Beach when it was supposed to be strengthening to slam into the Outer Banks. Then they realized that dry air was feeding into the storm & one of them pointed out that the storm's edge, nearest land, was flattened. Because of that, Irene went into NC as a category 1 instead of a category 3. It entered South Jersey as a category 1 instead of category 2.

This was the 1st Atlantic storm that I didn't ride out in South Jersey since 1964. I kept telling people to prepare while other's poo-pooed that. Better to be prepared & not need it than get caught unprepared. The best time to do most preparations, of course, is before a hurricane is coming.

I never tried to scare anyone with what I posted, but I know, from experience, that these storms can still do a lot of damage without being category 4 or 5. It's a whole lot scarier to be in even a tropical storm if you have not prepared.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:08 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Power was just turned back on , it think this storm was way over hyped....and Govt / the Media needs to answer to us....
It is always better to err on the side of caution and get a few hundred people pissed off rather than to do nothing and then have to explain to millions why you did nothing.

One thing for sure not matter what the govt. and media does NJ residents will find a way to complain. That's what they do.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:15 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
They do tend to overhype, they have to so many people dont take these type things seriously enough.
As a Florida resident and and someone who watched their neighborhood blow away during hurricane Charlie..
Trust me it's much better to be safe then sorry..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey