Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 01:19 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
only in research that is useless because it cant yield a profit. government funding of medical and scientific research is usually just funding research for the sake of spending money on research. i guess they think its about gathering knowledge that can be used later on other applications. when it comes to pharmaceuticals used to treat patients, diagnostic equipment technologies, therapies, etc. this is all private money that is used to create useful things because they can yield profit. government money is mostly wasted.
vaccines, cancer research, epidemic research, better body scanning technology....not all found through private research dollars, yet ultimately ends up being wildly profitable to pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturing companies.

there's waste in any large enterprise.

right now, the navy's move towards producing 50% of their energy through renewables by 2020, for strategic reasons, will help push advancements in the solar industry and biofuel industry. companies have yet to be able to scale their operations, but now that they'll have the navy as a customer, they can. plus the navy will be doing it's own R&D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 01:30 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
right now, the navy's move towards producing 50% of their energy through renewables by 2020, for strategic reasons, will help push advancements in the solar industry and biofuel industry. companies have yet to be able to scale their operations, but now that they'll have the navy as a customer, they can. plus the navy will be doing it's own R&D.
well, the government created a nice area of profit for private business so they have a chance of helping fuel research. however, its at the expense of taxpayers who will foot the bill for research that should have been done naturally via the free market.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:47 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
You guys are getting close. A couple more pages and I bet one of you changes your opinion.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You guys are getting close. A couple more pages and I bet one of you changes your opinion.
haha, i think brady is about to have a come to jesus moment and admit that government really does suck.

or maybe im going to admit that without government we would all be living in caves and covering our naughty parts with leaves.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:19 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i believe the privately funded Koch brothers study on climate change just confirmed that it does exist and it is impacted by human activity.

looks like your way was tried and agrees with my way. thanks!
Oh really? The study you refer to, funded in part by the Koch brothers, and conducted by physicist Richard Muller, can be summarized in his own words: "Perhaps our results will help cool this portion of the climate debate. How much of the warming is due to humans and what will be the likely effects? We made no independent assessment of that."

So I guess you need to read more carefully before tossing conclusions around like a salad. Regrettably, this salad has now fallen all over the floor. Be careful not to slip on the grease...

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 10-31-2011 at 09:12 PM..

Old 11-01-2011, 06:05 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Oh really? The study you refer to, funded in part by the Koch brothers, and conducted by physicist Richard Muller, can be summarized in his own words: "Perhaps our results will help cool this portion of the climate debate. How much of the warming is due to humans and what will be the likely effects? We made no independent assessment of that."

So I guess you need to read more carefully before tossing conclusions around like a salad. Regrettably, this salad has now fallen all over the floor. Be careful not to slip on the grease...
Marc, i would like to comment on this issue. MOST of the world believes in global warming from manmade emissions. It's only a portion of the EXTREME right that thinks it's a farce. U really think that if we have a gazillion cars emitting fumes and a gazillion coal plants emitting fumes and cut down a gazillion trees that clean the air and pollute the water with gazillions of barrels of oil that this would not affect the temperature of the globe. Oh that's right it's the conspiracy thing.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:48 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Marc, i would like to comment on this issue. MOST of the world believes in global warming from manmade emissions. It's only a portion of the EXTREME right that thinks it's a farce. U really think that if we have a gazillion cars emitting fumes and a gazillion coal plants emitting fumes and cut down a gazillion trees that clean the air and pollute the water with gazillions of barrels of oil that this would not affect the temperature of the globe. Oh that's right it's the conspiracy thing.
"Most of the world" believes a lot of things, right? Many of those things, as we often one day learn, are simply not true.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:27 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
tossing conclusions around like a salad. Regrettably, this salad has now fallen all over the floor. Be careful not to slip on the grease...
LOL, alright that was a vivid and unexpected metaphor!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post

i dont think doubt is limited to the EXTREME right

"A survey in February by the BBC found that only 26 percent of Britons believed that “climate change is happening and is now established as largely manmade,” down from 41 percent in November 2009. A poll conducted for the German magazine Der Spiegel found that 42 percent of Germans feared global warming, down from 62 percent four years earlier."

Britons

Old 11-01-2011, 11:15 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont think doubt is limited to the EXTREME right

"A survey in February by the BBC found that only 26 percent of Britons believed that “climate change is happening and is now established as largely manmade,” down from 41 percent in November 2009. A poll conducted for the German magazine Der Spiegel found that 42 percent of Germans feared global warming, down from 62 percent four years earlier."

Britons
Come on now Capt. heres one from last year taken in united states

The Stanford poll was conducted June 1-7, and it found that three out of four Americans believe the Earth is warming because of human activity, and they want the government to stop it. But that's down 10 percent from a Stanford poll in 2007, dropping from 84 percent to 74
so it used to be 84% of people. but i could dig up polls too for your position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey