Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 02:24 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
some? wow.
i re-read my post to see where i used the word "some." you seem to be responding the saying that NASA has come up with some useful innovations. i dont really understand why people would value NASA as a producer of innovations. thats not its purpose. we would be fine without NASA and may or may not have developed the products by now. we would be fine without them also, but they may have come about anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 02:33 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i re-read my post to see where i used the word "some." you seem to be responding the saying that NASA has come up with some useful innovations. i dont really understand why people would value NASA as a producer of innovations. thats not its purpose. we would be fine without NASA and may or may not have developed the products by now. we would be fine without them also, but they may have come about anyway.
honestly, the more often i get into long conversations with you, the more I question why I bother, given that you don't seem to actually know what you're talking about.

What Does NASA Do?

NASA's vision: To reach for new heights and reveal the unknown so that what we do and learn will benefit all humankind.
To do that, thousands of people have been working around the world -- and off of it -- for 50 years, trying to answer some basic questions. What's out there in space? How do we get there? What will we find? What can we learn there, or learn just by trying to get there, that will make life better here on Earth?

more information from their site:

"Meanwhile, NASA was continuing the aeronautics research pioneered by NACA. It also conducted purely scientific research and worked on developing applications for space technology, combining both pursuits in developing the first weather and communications satellites."

"NASA also has continued its scientific research. In 1997, Mars Pathfinder became the first in a fleet of spacecraft that will explore Mars in the next decade, as we try to determine if life ever existed there. The Terra and Aqua satellites are flagships of a different fleet, this one in Earth orbit, designed to help us understand how our home world is changing. NASA's aeronautics teams are focused on improved aircraft travel that is safer and cleaner."

"NASA Today

NASA conducts its work in three principal organizations, called mission directorates:

Aeronautics: pioneers and proves new flight technologies that improve our ability to explore and which have practical applications on Earth.

Human Exploration and Operations: focuses on International Space Station operations and human exploration beyond low Earth orbit.

Science: explores the Earth, solar system and universe beyond; charts the best route of discovery; and reaps the benefits of Earth and space exploration for society.

In the early 21st century, NASA's reach spans the universe. The Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity is still studying Mars after arriving with its twin Spirit in 2004. Cassini is in orbit around Saturn, as Juno makes its way to Jupiter. The restored Hubble Space Telescope continues to explore the deepest reaches of the cosmos.

Closer to home, the latest crew of the International Space Station is extending the permanent human presence in space. Earth Science satellites are sending back unprecedented data on Earth's oceans, climate and other features. NASA's aeronautics team is working with other government organizations, universities, and industry to fundamentally improve the air transportation experience and retain our nation's leadership in global aviation."

Old 10-28-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
What's out there in space? How do we get there? What will we find? What can we learn there, or learn just by trying to get there, that will make life better here on Earth?
who cares? how is any of that going to help anybody on earth? its not worth the money especially when money is in short supply.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:56 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,050 times
Quote:

Yes, I suppose we would be FINE. We'd also be FINE if we were still using buggy whips. Sure, we'd be FINE crowded around the radio to listen to the world series. And we'd be FINE with our rotary phones. But somehow, INNOVATION in this country has been one of the driving reasons for us doing better than fine.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Yes, I suppose we would be FINE. We'd also be FINE if we were still using buggy whips. Sure, we'd be FINE crowded around the radio to listen to the world series. And we'd be FINE with our rotary phones. But somehow, INNOVATION in this country has been one of the driving reasons for us doing better than fine.
and most innovation has come from the private sector. eliminating NASA wouldnt end innovation.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:15 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,050 times
Quote:
and most innovation has come from the private sector. eliminating NASA wouldnt end innovation.

Hmmmm, why do I think you would have been one of the loudest voices sceaming that we couldn't fall behind the USSR after they launched Sputnik?

Old 10-28-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Hmmmm, why do I think you would have been one of the loudest voices sceaming that we couldn't fall behind the USSR after they launched Sputnik?
because instead of paying attention, you choose to put me in this pre-determined box you want to put me in.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:35 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
that's exactly what NASA is/was. NASA is government spending on science, which has sparked multiple innovations that the private sectar has then used to create more economic activity. same can be said about the NIH and the healthcare industry, along with other government spending that has helped the commercial airline industry as well. when the government spends in the right areas, it is no different than if a private company spent in those areas, except that it's unlikely that a private company would have invested heavily in linking computer systems together for better communications like the government did for their intelligence and military operations. just like the Navy is investing heavily in green technology right now not for environmental reasons, but for strategic and logistical reasons. they have a goal of using 50% renewable energy by 2050...that government investment is going to help bring down the costs of those renewable options for the private industry to use.
It really does not matter what NASA does or how good NASA is. The moral point is that money is expropriated from those who may not agree with its mission, function, or results. Nobody ever said NASA was bad, just that it is improper to tax people to fund it. I would favor a system where NASA gets its funding on its own steam, through commercialization of its discoveries or selling its services to the private sector for a fee. I do not believe that it is the role of the government to conduct scientific research. I do not believe it is correct to tax the populace to fund such research. Mixing politics with research creates a system where the scientists who have the most talent at hustling lawmakers are the ones selected for research grants. The more talented scientists who have a higher potential to make meaningful discoveries are left to fend for themselves.

The result? Scientific progress is impeded by the fact that government funds the research. All the discoveries that one can credit to government research would have happened faster, and better, if the government were not involved at all.

Look at embryonic stem cell research. The government has a history of stifling it to assuage the political leanings of certain pressure groups. If the government were not allowed to fund, control, or influence scientific research, we'd probably already have a cure for cancer not to mention a myriad of other diseases.

Other than direct military research designed to advance the weapon systems that protect us from foreign invaders (which is a proper role of government), all scientific research should be remanded to the private sector, without funding, without regulation, without control, and without influence.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
simply false. but then again...who cares about facts in these discussions?

Old 10-28-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
It really does not matter what NASA does or how good NASA is. The moral point is that money is expropriated from those who may not agree with its mission, function, or results. Nobody ever said NASA was bad, just that it is improper to tax people to fund it. I would favor a system where NASA gets its funding on its own steam, through commercialization of its discoveries or selling its services to the private sector for a fee. I do not believe that it is the role of the government to conduct scientific research. I do not believe it is correct to tax the populace to fund such research. Mixing politics with research creates a system where the scientists who have the most talent at hustling lawmakers are the ones selected for research grants. The more talented scientists who have a higher potential to make meaningful discoveries are left to fend for themselves.

The result? Scientific progress is impeded by the fact that government funds the research. All the discoveries that one can credit to government research would have happened faster, and better, if the government were not involved at all.

Look at embryonic stem cell research. The government has a history of stifling it to assuage the political leanings of certain pressure groups. If the government were not allowed to fund, control, or influence scientific research, we'd probably already have a cure for cancer not to mention a myriad of other diseases.

Other than direct military research designed to advance the weapon systems that protect us from foreign invaders (which is a proper role of government), all scientific research should be remanded to the private sector, without funding, without regulation, without control, and without influence.

blah blah blah blah blah....ignoring facts. no big deal. wouldn't expect anything else from you.

governments around the world are funding embryonic stem cell research, and our country is falling behind. if not for the funding that has come from california's state government, we'd have essentially no progress in that field at all.

you can claim all you want that the private sector would be faster, but the bottom line is, much of what we have today in scientific innovation and medical innovation is from government activity BECAUSE private wouldn't do it due to the costs. so we could try your way, we'd be competing with ethiopia and honduras on an economic scale. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey