Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 8,280 times

Advertisements

We are a couple with no kids (the first maybe next year), who both work in NYC. We are renting in Glen Ridge right now and want to purchase in the area.

We have seen the 'Woodlands at Upsala', a nice development in East Orange. The houses are well constructed and the price is much more affordable than Glen Ridge or Montclair.

Since we won't need to worry about school for another 4 year's (by when we plan to move) are there any thoughts on the whether or not it makes sense to buy a new 3 bedroom townhouse for $359k in East Orange?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 05:07 PM

67 posts, read 343,988 times
Default hmmmm

Very interesting question..

Pros..
1. It's one of..(if not)THE nicest sections of East Orange.
2. The 88 bus line to Port Authority stops on the corner of Prospect, and Springdale.
3. Brick Church Train Station is a straight shot maybe a mile or so down Prospect.
4. There are other high rise/luxury Condo's on Prospect St.

Cons..
1. The nearest grocery store is a Ghetto, crowded mess.
2. It's East Orange
3. It's East Orange
4. You get the picture.

From a resale/investment perspective, I just don't see it. The area is trying to change, but it's still a gamble. The Schools really suck, so it limits your prospective buyers.

If you did not plan to have kids..or planned to stay long term, then maybe I would consider it..but I really think you could do better with your $359k. Of course you would probably have to go to Middlesex Co., and your commute times would increase.... but so would your quality of life, neighborhood, schools, and resale/investment.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:22 AM

16 posts, read 71,273 times
Default Woodlands at Upsala :)

Hello:

Just wanted to weigh in on the "should I buy in East Orange" debate. I agree with some of the points made by Ahkeer. However, I think investing in this area is a good idea based on your needs right now. To be more precise, it is a good idea because:

1) Schools--you don't need them so the system is not to be considered right now;

2) It IS the nicest part of East Orange, a city that used to be--believe it or not--really a great place to live but went downhill in most parts. The Woodlands area is a pleasant enough place to live;

3) Proximity--The location is perfect for a NYC commute. Middlesex County, in my book, is out of the question. Don't get me wrong; it has many nice area. But you will NOT want to have too long of a commute come winter. If you need to shop, you can drive to Pathmark on Bloomfield Avenue in Montclair, which is not far from where you are living now since Glen Ridge is super tiny. I believe the "ghetto supermarket(s)" in reference here are those located on Central Avenue. They are NOT the only options;

4) Resale IS possible--Look, you and your husband are not unique. When you go to resale, guess what? Even if the area has not come up more than it already has, you will attract buyers like yourselves... those who are childless and want a short commute to the City.

Yes, East Orange has a ways to go to get back to the place it used to be. However, we are not talking about South Central here. I would not want to raise my children there because the schools are not good. But I would consider living there if I were in your shoes.

Your decision is a tough one and I wish you the best of luck with it.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:50 PM

67 posts, read 343,988 times
Yixi is right..

Although I think the commute is not as bad as she thinks. If you take the train to Penn Station, we're talking about a 20 minute difference each way (comparing Brick Church, and Edison/Metuchen/Metropark).

I was referring to the Pathmark on Main st. The others on Central Ave are not even worth considering.

It is not a bad area at all, and if the price was 259K I would jump all over it..but at the current price I have to pause.

Good Luck.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:24 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times
I wouldnt only because if the schools are "not the greatest"..it wont matter because even if the market bounces back, the school district will be an obstacle for you as a seller.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:57 AM
VNY

5 posts, read 29,299 times
It is Shop Rite on Main Street in EO, but living at Upsala, I would go to Pathmark in Bloomfiled or Montclair. Both are nice shops

Old 09-02-2007, 09:51 PM

33 posts, read 193,062 times
glenn ridge and montclair are absolutely gorgeous.
East Orange is the ghetto.
its like going from riches to rags overnight.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 7,967 times
Well, I hope the Good out weighs the Bad as far as living in the 'Woodlands at Upsala'
I am moving into The Executive House on Prospect Street which is right across from the Woodlands. The apartments there have been renovated but not downsized (made smaller) like they do in NYC. I am moving into a 1 bedroom in which the living room is a 12x23, bedroom 12x18 and a separate dinning area with a Balcony and plenty of closet space at an unbelievable rent. So, I hope this is not a wrong choice. As far as commuting it is 30 mintues to the city by NJT and I drove one Saturday morning from here to the George Washington Bridge in 30 mintues.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:43 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
I wish you a lot of luck. I used to live in the area when I was in college and my roommate and I were the only white guys in the neighborhood but nobody ever gave us any trouble. Here's a tip-check out Star Tavern on High Street-good thin crust pizza and a decent beer selection. Hey-did anyone happen to catch the "Dirty Jobs" episode where Mike Rowe went to work with an architectural salvage firm that cleaned out Upsala before the renovation work began? It was pretty gross but they took some beautiful late 1800s/early 1900s stuff out of there. I've not seen any pictures of the project-did they preserve a lot of the historic elements of the facade?

Old 12-23-2007, 12:19 AM

4 posts, read 20,375 times
Post Woodlands Of Upsala

My Husband and I recently puchased a beautiful home at the former college campus. I am going the be frank by saying that anyone who has had negative things to say about the community is a Non- Ethnic person. This section of East Orange is beautiful and quiet and there is no place in the tri-state area that is offering you an entire community of newly constructed homes starting at $479,000.
We just had a baby and are aware that we are going to have to send our child to private school, however we are getting a home that is move in ready. I grew up in Orange and have never been a victim of crime.

If you are a person of color, why would you want to walk out of your house everyday and have Non-Ethnic people look at you with disgust becuase you have moved into "THEIR" community? I want to live without the stress of ignorant New Jersey racists next door to me. No matter what, at the end of the day you are the one who has to be happy with your own life. If you don't care about trying to impress other NEW JERSEYANS with your address then the Woodlands of Upsala is for you. Your NEW home is going to be better than anything that most of the individuals who responded to your question will ever own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey