Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 06:51 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPickle View Post
funny how their so many experts on Indian but not one of them Indian. I just checked all info by above posters with my buddy Patel who IS Indian and he says that its all nonesense. He says Patel don't mean any of this at all and is the Indian word for "Prince" & definatley they don't like dogs or cats.

My folks are from India. It really depends who you ask. Not everyone is well informed of their own culture yet many folks like to think they are. I went to india and backpacked for almost 3 yrs! Believe for a country of one billion plus ppl, there are many uneducated folks. As for the Patel reference, your friend is a moron and you should call him out on it.

Here is a link: Patel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,473 times
In terms of population size, Indians/Pakistanis are but a minute proportion when compared to Latino's and Blacks, especially the Tri-state area which is interesting and peculiar, due to the fact that many of the Subways, Dunkin Donuts, convenience stores, gas stations, etc are owned by these people. Nothing wrong with owning any of these businesses so let's dispel any forethought you may have at the moment and try to grasp what others may view as exclusion. Seems rather ironic that while these people are but a tiny group in America no less, they own seemingly most of these stores in the northeast. If foreign tourists happened to stop by these places they would mistakenly believe Indians/Pakistanis must be the dominant group in terms of size. Recalling life as a child, Indians in class were far and few between meaning, there weren't many of them. And it's not like they were born here. ALL of these people speak with a heavy accent so obviously, they came here ( USA) the other day so to speak, they were not born here and they certainly were not here long enough to work and accumulate the money necessary for a down payment especially for a gas station. So the question becomes, how did these NO American accent sounding east Asian people come to have so many of these businesses? Last I knew, India is still a THIRD world country so it's rather impossible that ALL of those people who arrived here, came with more money than folks from South America where their GDP is no less than that of India yet, I have yet to see just ONE Colombian, Mexican, Puerto Rican or even just ONE Black family own one of these businesses. It appears to be exclusionary and preferential at best.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:27 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilao View Post
In terms of population size, Indians/Pakistanis are but a minute proportion when compared to Latino's and Blacks, especially the Tri-state area which is interesting and peculiar, due to the fact that many of the Subways, Dunkin Donuts, convenience stores, gas stations, etc are owned by these people. Nothing wrong with owning any of these businesses so let's dispel any forethought you may have at the moment and try to grasp what others may view as exclusion. Seems rather ironic that while these people are but a tiny group in America no less, they own seemingly most of these stores in the northeast. If foreign tourists happened to stop by these places they would mistakenly believe Indians/Pakistanis must be the dominant group in terms of size. Recalling life as a child, Indians in class were far and few between meaning, there weren't many of them. And it's not like they were born here. ALL of these people speak with a heavy accent so obviously, they came here ( USA) the other day so to speak, they were not born here and they certainly were not here long enough to work and accumulate the money necessary for a down payment especially for a gas station. So the question becomes, how did these NO American accent sounding east Asian people come to have so many of these businesses? Last I knew, India is still a THIRD world country so it's rather impossible that ALL of those people who arrived here, came with more money than folks from South America where their GDP is no less than that of India yet, I have yet to see just ONE Colombian, Mexican, Puerto Rican or even just ONE Black family own one of these businesses. It appears to be exclusionary and preferential at best.
Bank loans, and loans given to them by other Indians/Arabs/Pakistanis/Koreans, etc. And they continually flip them to each other, with newer immigrants buying from those who've already become more established. With the motel business (which Indians also dominate), they live in their motels to save money, which they use to buy more motels.
They know how to stick together (like certain American ethnic groups, i.e. Jews) in business, which is why they have prospered. Rather than begrudging them, other ethnic groups could learn from their model of sacrifice and cohesion to advance in life.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:55 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilao View Post
Wrong on that last sentence. I see more businesses owned by Dominicans and Puerto Ricans than any other group. Its just that the Hispanics tend to own bodegas in the ghetto,but I have seen some in suburbia.
The Indians and Pakistanis tend to own brand name stores,namely 7 11,that's all. Those stores tend to be in suburbia and the highways vs the ghetto. They do own all the chicken stores in the ghetto though lol. I don't even know what group owns Wawa.
Anyone know?

Old 05-29-2012, 07:51 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I don't even know what group owns Wawa.
Anyone know?
White people.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:40 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
White people.
Actually correct; they're still majority owned by their founding family, name of Wood.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:39 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Where I live, Indians own all the hotels and are all the doctors. There's a lot of accountants and Lawyers as well.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:06 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
Can we please retire this thread? It's been going on for almost 6 months. The title is ridiculous/slightly offensive and there is nothing of value going on that warrants its existence.

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 05-30-2012 at 09:02 AM..

Old 05-30-2012, 08:29 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
I agree with tdstyles.
At this point, this thread appears to exist only for the posting of fairly useless or offensive statements.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:33 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
A comment may be intended to be offensive, but I think it's wonderful that people can group together and instead of envying or competing with each other, cooperate for the betterment of all. It is an exemplary attitude, in my book. It is what a capitalist society requires.

And the second generation, who do speak without accents, tend to study hard and enter the professions. Asians may be the ones, someday, who keep this country afloat. They are job creators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey