Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 02:57 PM

7 posts, read 14,112 times

Advertisements

I just moved into a home here in North Jersey in a fairly quiet, family friendly neighborhood. I'm a pretty out going person and was very good friends with most of my neighbors in Ohio. Now that my wife and I are settled in, I was hoping to at least become friendly with my neighbors. I've introduced myself to a few of them and they were nice. But there's this one fellow who lives next door to me that seems very quiet and private. I haven't really seen him interacting with anyone and he doesn't leave his house very often (car is almost always in the driveway, except during the daytime when he's probably at work). I'm assuming all he does is go to work. My wife and I are hesitant to approach him because we're not sure how he would respond. Should we bite the bullet and invite him over to dinner or something? I would be shocked if he says yes because he just doesn't seem like a very social person. How should we approach this?

How are your neighbors? Quiet? Loud? Annoying? Friendly? There's just something peculiar about this guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 03:36 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,363,542 times
Can't hurt to ask him. The worst he'll do is shoot the offer down.

I live in an apartment complex. One side, they're quiet as mice, the other side, well...let's just say I'll be happy if they move before I do.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:44 PM

249 posts, read 882,812 times
Jusy say hello and see what happens.Dinner might be a bit much.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:36 PM

220 posts, read 623,672 times
My entire life I've lived in Northern NJ & we have NEVER interacted with neighbors other than the obligatory head nod while walking to the car.
When I grew up & moved to a new county and neighborhood I was all excited that we may have some fun new neighbors we could get along with & BBQ etc....nadda....no one hardly picks their head up....I've talked to most of them...all super nice just not really wanting the whole "us & them" thing....like there is an invisible line or something.....MEANWHILE I was talking with someone TWO BLOCKS away from my home, with this fun, young couple who said that their street & like 3 others had regular BLOCK PARTIES!!! I was floored!!! And jealous....****sigh**** I just leave guys like your new neighbor alone. If he wants to warm up to he will...in time....at least that's MHO...

Old 08-13-2009, 04:40 PM

861 posts, read 2,717,609 times
Go with your gut.
If something strikes you as "off" about this guy, better trust your instincts.
Better safe than sorry.

I'm not saying it's not ok to be neighborly.... friendly waves, shovel his side walk when you do your own, etc.... but I'd hold off on inviting him into your home.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Go with your gut.
If something strikes you as "off" about this guy, better trust your instincts.
Better safe than sorry.

I'm not saying it's not ok to be neighborly.... friendly waves, shovel his side walk when you do your own, etc.... but I'd hold off on inviting him into your home.
I never felt something was "off" with him. He doesn't seem creepy or anything, just quiet.

I see him leave for work every morning around 7:00, so I'll get outside at that time and say hello to see what happens.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz555 View Post
My entire life I've lived in Northern NJ & we have NEVER interacted with neighbors other than the obligatory head nod while walking to the car.
When I grew up & moved to a new county and neighborhood I was all excited that we may have some fun new neighbors we could get along with & BBQ etc....nadda....no one hardly picks their head up....I've talked to most of them...all super nice just not really wanting the whole "us & them" thing....like there is an invisible line or something.....
It wasn't like this back in Ohio. I lived on a cul-de-sac and most of the neighbors were good friends. We've even been to weddings and funerals. It was like a second family.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:24 PM

861 posts, read 2,717,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyjunkie42 View Post
I never felt something was "off" with him.
No, but you did say: "There's just something peculiar about this guy."

Definitely not the desrciption of someone I would want at the dinner table with my family.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:36 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
Why not ask him to an informal type small gathering, such as a cook out, where you also have invited a couple other neighbors..It is always easier for conversation when there are more than 3 or 4 people.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:37 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
Weird, but nice. I am sure they think the same about us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey