Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 04:46 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriecarrio View Post
I live in Iselin and my next door neighbors come outside their house every time I pull into my drive way or hang outside in the front of the house, or go take garbage outside... you get the idea. The thing is that they look at me and continue staring at me, even after I say 'hi', they do not have intentions of starting a conversation or whatsoever, they just stare at me and my husband nonstop. In some cultures this could be considered rude, but I am not sure if it's something that Indian people do or is part of their culture. I am not trying to be judgemental, I am just trying to understand their culture. I am already accostumed to their "staring" habits, but sometimes it can make me uncomfortable...
They're stupid and were raised stupid. It's that simple. I'm Indian and I realize this as well. It's a 3rd world thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 05:17 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Not all Indians stare or retain there culture most of them try to shed as much as possible...with food and religion being the remaining pieces left.... Most of my Indian friends are open minded and do not stare , this seems to be an older generation thing which does not suprise me.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:21 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
They're stupid and were raised stupid. It's that simple. I'm Indian and I realize this as well. It's a 3rd world thing.
Are you sure? If they're stupid and performing at the top of our schools.... what does that make the rest of the population? Below stupid?

Old 12-17-2011, 05:36 PM

52 posts, read 179,874 times
Also, I also noticed that the wives of my 2 neighbors refuse to say 'hi' or speak to us, however, the husbands are really friendly.. (and they stare too, :-P) Is there a reason for this?
It is right, it may be an older generation thing too, as their parents live with them and they do that all the time.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:52 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Well, Indian culture do not appreciate black people, to put it in a diplomatic way. So that isn't the best write-up to demonstrate the "staring culture".

I work with a lot of Indian people and have been to India for work several times. They do stare... but it's more of them observing. Indian people are deep thinkers... always trying to improve the process. So they are likely staring at you, observing you, thinking to themselves.... "there's a better way to do that, I'm sure of it".

It's built into their culture and they don't know any different. It's hard to consider something rude when it's normal to the actor. You know?
Exactly. My daughter is currently living in south-central China where they don't see as many white people as they do in places like Shanghai. She is not only stared at but people come up and want to touch her hair or they want to see the hair on her arms and ask her why it's yellow. She gets the added bonus of having brown eyes, which is weird to some of them who thought all white people have blue eyes. The other "rude" thing is that people in China, when you are ahead of them in the street and they are walking faster than you are, they don't go around you--they SHOVE YOU OUT OF THE WAY. They also don't know how to form a line--if there is something that we would normally line up for, like tickets or to catch a bus, they fight and shove and elbow and knock one another down to be first. She said it's like being in a country where everyone acts like children.

But the point is that she said you can't get mad at the people for this because to them, it's not rude. It's just the way they live.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:18 PM

264 posts, read 606,203 times
Maybe they want to approach you but are feeling too shy. Or maybe they're just curious. I doubt they stare in_order_to make you uncomfortable. Just a possibility.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:20 PM

860 posts, read 1,337,937 times
Yea, the Indian woman next door stared at me for a while when they first moved in. Even grabbed her kids and made them go inside like I was going to kidnap them or something. HAH.

But then, from what I know of them (not much given their rude attitudes), the wife is from some tiny village so she's probably only heard stories about the US. Who knows.

Just stare right back. Looking away is a sign of weakness, IMO. If they're trying to intimidate, don't let them get away with it.

Just like playing chicken.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:23 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Yea, the Indian woman next door stared at me for a while when they first moved in. Even grabbed her kids and made them go inside like I was going to kidnap them or something. HAH.

But then, from what I know of them (not much given their rude attitudes), the wife is from some tiny village so she's probably only heard stories about the US. Who knows.

Just stare right back. Looking away is a sign of weakness, IMO. If they're trying to intimidate, don't let them get away with it.

Just like playing chicken.
This just seems silly. Who's going to go around playing these silly games just to avoid a perceived sign of weakness? People have better things to do than stare back.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:33 PM

860 posts, read 1,337,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This just seems silly. Who's going to go around playing these silly games just to avoid a perceived sign of weakness? People have better things to do than stare back.
If something bothers you, you should do something about it. Either ask them not to stare or just give them a taste of their own medicine. There is no reason to feel uncomfortable on your own property.

It's not to avoid a "perceived sign of weakness". It's to let them know they're bothering you in a non-verbal manner.

But anyway, I'm just posting my opinion. Given your apparent philosophy, I'd think you have better things to do than harry other people on theirs. Don't you have something better to do?

:-D

Old 12-17-2011, 06:37 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,007 times
They are just sizing up their next meal. Nothing to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey