Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:08 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,766,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
Because a majority of the people pay the fee and there are no issues. If you have insurance on your home they are going to require that you have this coverage. In these cases the homeowners did not have insurance on their properties.

I think the main problem is that emergency services should not be optional. The towns in question should contract with the fire departments of other towns, negotiate a fee, and then raise the taxes to reflect that amount. Then we would not have to have this discussion in the first place.
I agree it should be through the taxes not a bill sent by the FD and demanded to pay or refusal to do anything other than stand there and watch a persons life and pets be destroyed in flames. Or have it included in our Fire Policies where our Fire Insurance is responsible to cut the FD a check. Though through the taxes works for me, always has and always will. Sometimes people just freaking forget to pay a bill but with taxes it can be auto pay through the mortgage and when that's paid I'm sure more than few warnings to pay will do. The threat of losing the house for not paying taxes works too.

The only problem I have is that the people paying to have them don't get to know if they are fully, properly trained and what exactly they are willing to do. I have pets would they just simply run past them without grabbing them to bring out of the burning building? That is a very large concern to me. I never considered that before, the fact that there is no competition, that there should be a choice of who we want for our FD. It's like the cable Co. no competition and you get stuck with the one and only Company the town provides. That's what it's like and the service may not be what is expected when the time comes you need it. Now that this happened and absolutely no attempt was made to at least spray enough to get the pets out I see this is a concern everyone should have. This isn't something to play around with it costs lives not just things but lives, memories gone when it could have been avoided even when a taxpayer forgets to pay or doesn't fully understand how selfish the Firemen, mayor and all who made the decision to just idly stand by and do nothing. I am appalled by this. What if it had been a Sr. Citizen who forgot to pay for Christ sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 12:13 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,178,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
The threat of losing the house for not paying taxes works too.
Apparently not.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
The only problem I have is that the people paying to have them don't get to know if they are fully, properly trained and what exactly they are willing to do. I have pets would they just simply run past them without grabbing them to bring out of the burning building? That is a very large concern to me. I never considered that before, the fact that there is no competition, that there should be a choice of who we want for our FD. It's like the cable Co. no competition and you get stuck with the one and only Company the town provides. That's what it's like and the service may not be what is expected when the time comes you need it. Now that this happened and absolutely no attempt was made to at least spray enough to get the pets out I see this is a concern everyone should have. This isn't something to play around with it costs lives not just things but lives, memories gone when it could have been avoided even when a taxpayer forgets to pay or doesn't fully understand how selfish the Firemen, mayor and all who made the decision to just idly stand by and do nothing. I am appalled by this. What if it had been a Sr. Citizen who forgot to pay for Christ sake.
What about the police? Do you think there should be competition for that? Or any other emergency service?

Old 04-13-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
What about the police? Do you think there should be competition for that? Or any other emergency service?
They are government paid that is why I agreed with paying the FD through our taxes because then they are government paid. We don't see the police sending out bills for service and then refusing to provide that service because people forgot to pay the bill. Is that next police for hire or calling 911 and refusal to show up unless we agree to pay a fee?

911 what's your emergency

Help there'sa burglar breaking into my home

911 One moment while we check to see if you sent in that check to us. Oh look you didn't pay our bill we sent you, we cannot help you.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
They are government paid that is why I agreed with paying the FD through our taxes because then they are government paid.
Just so I understand, if someone has to pay $75 not through their taxes then you think there should be competition and a choice of who to go to and you want to know how well they have been trained, etc.

If someone pays $75 through their taxes then you don't care about any of that?

Old 04-13-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Just so I understand, if someone has to pay $75 not through their taxes then you think there should be competition and a choice of who to go to and you want to know how well they have been trained, etc.

If someone pays $75 through their taxes then you don't care about any of that?
Even when paid through taxes of course I care about that. But when paid through taxes they cannot refuse to do the job and on the flip side there's no oh I forgot to pay that bill, which does happen with Sr. Citizens. If they don't want the competition of being privatized then they should accept payment through the paid taxes of homeowners, businesses and not refuse to to the job. Want to run as a private business and have the right to refuse services without one single written contract between the FD Homeowner/Business and expect payment directly to the FD then they should have to compete for that job.

But as I said before I would have just paid them right from the start. There are people who don't like they have to pay a separate bill for what is usually paid for in through their taxes. I have a feeling, no proof just a feeling, that is what stops people from paying from the start and forgetting to pay a separate bill they aren't used to getting, the think the FD is automatically paid through the taxes so they think why should they pay this?

It's like paying for a cable Co. service without knowing what channels, service you will get when you have a problem getting channels except that the FD are much more important IMO and deserve more money than the damn cable co. when they actually do the job. It was never about the money to me. $75.00 yearly is not much to ask for. Hell $10.00 a month isn't either if people can afford it and that comes to more than $75.00 yearly. I Don't get me wrong I understand for a lot of people today it's very hard to pay that extra bill. It's the audacity and horror of their refusing to put that fire out and attempt to save the family pets that got to me. They sure blew the chance to show how good they are, I'm assuming they are, how professional well now not, and that they care about their neighbors, well not after this. Now they like any other cold business. That's all they are to me now.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:23 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,684,672 times
Quote:
If they don't want the competition of being privatized then they should accept payment through the paid taxes of homeowners, businesses and not refuse to to the job. Want to run as a private business and have the right to refuse services without one single written contract between the FD Homeowner/Business and expect payment directly to the FD then they should have to compete for that job.
This is where you are mistaken. They are not a private business. They are the local Fire Department for another town. The town in question (that requires residents to pay) does not have a local fire department so they asked the neighboring town to provide the service for them. When they figured out how much tax money is paid to them per house in their district it was around $75/house so that's what they charge the people from the other town who do not contribute towards their services. I'm not sure where you got that this was a privatized industry that you should be able to pick and choose from. There are police departments that act in this fashion as well, providing service to neighboring towns that are too small to support their own police force. There are taxes that go to them to provide this service which is why I think it should just be taken out of property taxes to begin with.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
This is where you are mistaken. They are not a private business. They are the local Fire Department for another town. The town in question (that requires residents to pay) does not have a local fire department so they asked the neighboring town to provide the service for them. When they figured out how much tax money is paid to them per house in their district it was around $75/house so that's what they charge the people from the other town who do not contribute towards their services. I'm not sure where you got that this was a privatized industry that you should be able to pick and choose from. There are police departments that act in this fashion as well, providing service to neighboring towns that are too small to support their own police force. There are taxes that go to them to provide this service which is why I think it should just be taken out of property taxes to begin with.
I was thinking they are acting like they are privatized so since they are acting that way they they should be privatized.

to the bold: OMG I do apologize I did make a mistake. I missed the part where they were purposely hired from another town. Well that helps me understand a whole lot more. I still think they should have attempted to save the pets inside and at least spray the house anyway. Geez the guy could have paid extra for doing it. I have never heard of that with the Police I only have ever heard of Police being paid through taxes. I don't see why small towns aren't merged together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey