Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:13 AM

312 posts, read 686,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It's not like buying life insurance at all.

You ARE going to die.

Your house may never catch on fire.
He is talking about a term life insurance policy. These run out in a specified number of years. So there is a good chance you will not die while the policy is actually in-force, therefore, no one will collect on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 09:22 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
It's not like buying life insurance at all.

You ARE going to die.

Your house may never catch on fire.
okay okay, i can see that there is no point in discussing this with people whose IQ's can be measured on their hands.

i guess if its the government responsibility, people should just get the service even if they knowingly dont pay the fee. government services are made to be abused by parasites. people shouldnt be expected to make responsible decisions with regard to anything in their lives.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:21 PM

147 posts, read 389,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I don't think any person should ever risk their life to save an animal. So in that broad context I have no issue with it.
Many, possibly most people love their pets and consider them part of the family. I would certainly risk my life to save mine, and I would expect a firefighter to be willing to take a reasonable risk to do so. If they were not willing to, as I said in another post, in a privatized system I could subscribe to a fire service that would.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:38 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGraeme View Post
Many, possibly most people love their pets and consider them part of the family. I would certainly risk my life to save mine, and I would expect a firefighter to be willing to take a reasonable risk to do so. If they were not willing to, as I said in another post, in a privatized system I could subscribe to a fire service that would.
Feel free to run back in the burning building and get your pet. I just don't expect a firefighter to do it.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:20 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,625 times
If it's not like life insurance they why do we have Fire Insurance for our homes? That is for just in case the house/building goes on fire. This is the same thing, sort of, except that they were there and can be there to prevent it from burning down to the ground. The Fire Insurance is for after the fact. I truthfully would pay just as I pay my Homeowners/Fire Insurance but that's me.

As far as saving the lives of animals. Firemen are expected to go into burning building to save lives, that is a given and part of the job. What they are not expected to do is go into a burning building to save lives when it's too late to safe a life, when it's too dangerous or nearly impossible to get to the life they are there to save. They will, are, as far as I know, instructed not to play hero and not stay in the burning building too long or too late. This is even if there is a childs life at stake. But they are expected to try and look for them and if possible get them out both human and animal. If this paying them like a privatized Co. then I would pay to include my adorable fur babies.

Oh BTW since they get paid, um, extra money would the Fire Dept. then be responsible for the upkeep of the water pipes/hydrants? Since they do need them to perform their job.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGraeme View Post
Many, possibly most people love their pets and consider them part of the family.
but they arent, they are property. you can buy a new one and it will love you as much as the last one. if you are cheap, you can even get one of those "rescue" dogs for free. i love my dog, but i couldnt imagine a person dying trying to save her.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:12 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
okay okay, i can see that there is no point in discussing this with people whose IQ's can be measured on their hands.
Oh please....knock it off.

Quote:
i guess if its the government responsibility, people should just get the service even if they knowingly dont pay the fee. government services are made to be abused by parasites. people shouldnt be expected to make responsible decisions with regard to anything in their lives.
How many parasites do you KNOW, personally? I know a whole bunch given the business I am in. I don't beget them ANYTHING b/c I KNOW what they do NOT do in a day and if you would care to use your IQ and search my posts going back years, you'd know this.

Let's clear something up...what are you so upset about with the parasites using your tax dollars to get a fire put out? The Passaic issue or the issue where someone didn't pay their $75 fee to get their "house" doused with water while, apparently the FD standing around, could have....

Last edited by Informed Info; 04-09-2012 at 09:55 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 09:17 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post
He is talking about a term life insurance policy. These run out in a specified number of years. So there is a good chance you will not die while the policy is actually in-force, therefore, no one will collect on it.
And?

Let's get one thing very clear: if you rely on chance, or how you're feeling the day you purchase short term LI, you're an idiot.

Term policies are the CHEAPEST. Nothing more, nothing less, no long-term thinking, nothing else to be said.

Last edited by Informed Info; 04-09-2012 at 09:30 PM..

Old 04-10-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Oh please....knock it off.

How many parasites do you KNOW, personally? I know a whole bunch given the business I am in. I don't beget them ANYTHING b/c I KNOW what they do NOT do in a day and if you would care to use your IQ and search my posts going back years, you'd know this.

Let's clear something up...what are you so upset about with the parasites using your tax dollars to get a fire put out? The Passaic issue or the issue where someone didn't pay their $75 fee to get their "house" doused with water while, apparently the FD standing around, could have....
knock it off?? why dont you know what term life insurance is???? why cant people be expected to have a basic understanding of things when involved in a discussion?

im not particularly upset over anything. i just have a position that some people disagree with and im defending my position. when i go to dinner in a restaurant, they could easily serve me dinner even if i refuse to pay. but they arent going to do that and nobody would expect them to. just like nobody should expect fire service if they knowingly refuse to pay the fee for the service.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:50 PM

147 posts, read 389,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
but they arent, they are property. you can buy a new one and it will love you as much as the last one. if you are cheap, you can even get one of those "rescue" dogs for free. i love my dog, but i couldnt imagine a person dying trying to save her.
Legally, pets are property, but even the law treats them as different from inanimate property, e.g., laws against animal cruelity. It's an individual outlook, but most people with pets do love them and consider them part of the family. Telling them they could easily be replaced is like telling them they could replace a child who was killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey