Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 09:51 PM

72 posts, read 282,036 times

Advertisements

What's Kearny like these days? Is it an extension of Belleville? or more like a mini-Newark? Does anyone have a good thing to say about Kearny?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 07:53 AM

72 posts, read 282,036 times
lol this place is funny...........

Old 09-24-2007, 12:46 PM

8 posts, read 22,618 times
Kearny's fantastic. It has a rugged, bustling atmosphere along the main street. It's close to everything: shopping, dining, entertainment, not to mention NYC. Some would argue against the town, citing issues with crime, but I lived there nine years and my home, my car and my person were never tampered with or violated in any way. It's neither an extension of Belleville or Newark. It's an extension of the suburbs of North Arlington/Lyndhurst with a slightly more urban feel.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:18 PM

8 posts, read 31,202 times
I grew up in Kearny - Lived there 36 years before moving to Southern California. There are definitely things I miss about Kearny and NJ. We lived right next to the West Hudson Park. I kind of miss watching the seasons change and the people and the wonderful fish and chip places like the Argyle....and they do NOT know how to make decent pizza on this coast so I miss that too. Kearny was a great place to grow up in. I went to McKinley elementary (torn down ages ago) and then on to Washington Middle school and then to Kearny High. Great memories. :-)

Old 10-16-2007, 06:51 AM

5 posts, read 24,119 times
Thumbs up Kearny

I think Kearny is a very nice town, now that they got a very decent and respectable Mayor a few years ago, kearny has seen major improvements in its image as well as the way of life around town. Although BEWARE, it all comes with a price.. Kearny does have one of the highest property tax rates in the county, not to mention the state. I have heard that for a 2 family home it can be as high as 9000 if not more.

Of course this may also be because of the fact that the past mayor, was a low life which decided to put more of the townships funds in his pocket than in the township. (don't frown, he was convicted by the FBI, and attorny general).

Not to fear the good guys always prevail, kearny is back to the way a successful township should be. Today you can find buisnesses on Kearny Ave, which acctually make it, and don't close down in a matter of months, there are great opportunities in the town, and I am sure may more to come.

The police dept has seen major improvements in the past few months to years, from high tech new computer and fully digital radio communications, to the return of the Kearny EMS, which for some time was out of commision due to low funds. It's GREAT to see a town make a come back even if it's little by little, you can see the difference and it is a great thing to see.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:27 PM

8 posts, read 31,202 times
There is no need for property taxes to be so outrageous as to chase people (especially the retired and elderly) from their homes. We instituted prop 13 here in California in the late 1980's and its held up all these years though the politicians keep trying to chip away at it. My condo here is worth 325,000 and I pay less than 1,400 a year in property taxes. What would a home or condo in that price range pay in taxes in NJ? I think its outrageous and I can't imagine how the people ever let it get so high. When we left Kearny in 1977 we sold a 2 1/2 family home next to West Hudson Park and the property tax on it was around 1,200.00. I cannot fathom what the owners of it are paying today. Its terrible.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:15 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,968,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia013 View Post
There is no need for property taxes to be so outrageous as to chase people (especially the retired and elderly) from their homes. We instituted prop 13 here in California in the late 1980's and its held up all these years though the politicians keep trying to chip away at it. My condo here is worth 325,000 and I pay less than 1,400 a year in property taxes. What would a home or condo in that price range pay in taxes in NJ? I think its outrageous and I can't imagine how the people ever let it get so high. When we left Kearny in 1977 we sold a 2 1/2 family home next to West Hudson Park and the property tax on it was around 1,200.00. I cannot fathom what the owners of it are paying today. Its terrible.
the cops teachers and firemen have to be paid and while CA did a bit of income redistribution with prop 13, the bottom line is if government is going to continue to deliver services, the money needs to be raised and one way or another they will find a way to get it from you in taxes, be it property, income, fuel whatever, they will get it. The only real way to lower the tax burden is to force government to spend less.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:43 PM

6 posts, read 23,660 times
Default Kearny

Kearny is still a good town from what I hear. It has nothing to do with Belleville. Kearny is in Hudson county, and Belleville is in Essex county. Newark is by itself..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonXJC View Post
What's Kearny like these days? Is it an extension of Belleville? or more like a mini-Newark? Does anyone have a good thing to say about Kearny?

Old 12-11-2007, 02:18 PM

50 posts, read 215,847 times
FWIW, I'm in the market looking to buy a new house. Kearny is in the area that I'm looking. But I was told by a very good friend of mine who happens to be a detective there that I should not even think about it. Tons of drugs, which means theft, lots of people from bordering slums coming into town to rob, or sell their drugs, etc.

Not a good place to be he said...so I am now ignoring Kearny.

I'm also ignoring North Arlington as they are set to raise their property taxes 33% next year.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:13 AM

196 posts, read 768,240 times
To Patricia: I too spent some of my formative years in Kearny-Yes, I remember the Argyle, St.Stephen's School and the great people that lived in town. Can't speak to anything about the town now since I left years ago.-still in Jersey and still paying high taxes but I love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey