Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 06:28 PM

22 posts, read 92,510 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am relocating to Central New Jersey area. My daughter's birthday is in Nov, and she's already in an IL junior kindergarden program. All the teachers think she's ready for grade 1, but it seems that most towns in NJ has cut off date of Oct 1.

I am wondering if there is any town has a cut off date after Nov? Or any town could allow her to "test" to get into elementary school?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 06:42 PM

34 posts, read 126,499 times
South Brunswick, Franklin Twp, East Brunswick, and Monroe are all in Central Jersey and all have October 31st cut-off dates.
Is October 31st good for you? They're the latest dates that I know. Nothing else in to November.
East Windsor will test the child if they do not make the cut-off date.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:53 PM

Thank you very much for the reply. My daugther is born on Nov 13, so I really need a cut off date of Nov 15 or after. Is there any town within 1 hour drive to Wayne NJ, that can test the child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbrctr View Post
South Brunswick, Franklin Twp, East Brunswick, and Monroe are all in Central Jersey and all have October 31st cut-off dates.
Is October 31st good for you? They're the latest dates that I know. Nothing else in to November.
East Windsor will test the child if they do not make the cut-off date.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:13 PM

34 posts, read 126,499 times
Not that I know of but I find it very effective emailing the principals of school districts that you are looking at. I seem to get more direct answers that way, answers that are more detailed than reviewing the districts' board of education policies on cut-off dates. Also, calling a rep from the school is effective too. There are some districts that I learned are more lenient with their cut-off dates than their policy states. Most of those districts are in South Jersey. I've never looked at districts more north than Middlesex County so I just don't know what other districts close to Wayne will do. Hope that helps.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:54 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,223 times
I hate to break it to you but you are probably going to hear big fat "NO's" from the public schools with a birthday that late. My SIL is in West Windsor and missed the cut off by a couple of HOURS and no amount of begging and pleading worked, even though my nephew was definitely ready, she ended up having to shell out for another year of pre-school/daycare.

You can try a private school, they are usually more flexible with the cut off dates. Doesn't have to be anything fancy an inexpensive catholic school will do then once second grade comes you can move her into public.

But I'm a little confused you said she was in "junior kindergarten" is that like pre-k? And you are trying to get her into 1st grade? Can you just clarify how old she will be this coming November, what grade she was in and what you would like to see her start in Sept?

Last edited by icibiu; 05-16-2012 at 08:34 PM..

Old 05-16-2012, 08:23 PM

Yeah, so far I have no luck. My daughter will turn 6 this Nov. Right now she's in a Bright Horizon, where the "Jr. K" and "K" are two groups sitting in the same classroom. Each group has 10 kids, and for some activities they work as a whole group, for others they do as two groups. My daughter participated in many K group activities in the last couple months as per the teacher. She's already at Level N for reading and can do math far beyond Kindergarden level. Teachers also indicate she works very well with others socially. That's why I do not want her repeat Kindergarden.

I am not sure about Catholic schools. Do those schools impose too much religion on kids? We are not a catholic family so not sure if it is good either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
I hate to break it to you but you are probably going to hear big fat "NO's" from the public schools with a birthday that late. My SIL is in West Windsor and miss the cut off by a couple of HOURS and no amount of begging and pleading worked, even though my nephew was definitely ready, she ended up having to shell out for another year of pre-school/daycare.

You can try a private school, they are usually more flexible with the cut off dates. Doesn't have to be anything fancy an inexpensive catholic school will do then once second grade comes you can move her into public.

But I'm a little confused you said she was in "junior kindergarten" is that like pre-k? And you are trying to get her into 1st grade? Can you just clarify how old she will be this coming November, what grade she was in and what you would like to see her start in Sept?

Old 05-16-2012, 08:29 PM

59 posts, read 153,905 times
I know that Brooklyn, NY had 31st Dec as cutoff date. If you can manage to stay there for lets say a year or even half a year, you can then transfer in the same grade in central jersey.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:33 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchalimbu View Post
I know that Brooklyn, NY had 31st Dec as cutoff date. If you can manage to stay there for lets say a year or even half a year, you can then transfer in the same grade in central jersey.
^^That's true of all NYC public schools if you are interested in going that route.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:36 PM

Yeah, I know both NY and CT has Dec 31, but it's too far from Wayne, where I work, does not look commutable.

quote=marchalimbu;24336459]I know that Brooklyn, NY had 31st Dec as cutoff date. If you can manage to stay there for lets say a year or even half a year, you can then transfer in the same grade in central jersey.[/quote]

Old 05-17-2012, 05:58 AM

52 posts, read 133,606 times
A friend of mine has the same problem. She is putting her daughter in a private school for 3 mos. and enrolling her in our district after her birthday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey