Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 11:29 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
I also remember getting pushed around everywhere I went. Groups would walk 5, 6, 7 people wide and if I was walking next to my friend, I'd get pushed aside, sometime hard. I liked to call it "Ghetto" Park.

Is Vernon Valley still running there?
Yeah it's known as Mountain Creek and they run a much safer waterpark. I've never been though.

I think it was called "ghetto park" because it attracted lower class NJ/NYers who didn't want to pay for six flags, but still wanted family fun. And hell, based on those commercials they did a pretty good job of making it seem fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 11:40 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
They used to pull half-dead people from the wave pool all the time. A lot of inner-city folk who would drown in their own bath tub would try it out.

I went on the alpine slide and all of the water rides. I don't remember the loop de loop water slide because this brain fart only lasted a few weeks:

Cannonball Loop: World’s Most Dangerous Waterslide
I almost drowned in the wave pool. There were more people hanging on the ladders for dear life than ppl in the pool.

I couldn't go on the Cannonball Loop because I didn't weigh enough. There was a trap door at the bottom in case you couldn't make it around. My 2 friends went on it and it scrambled their brains.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:44 AM

225 posts, read 721,258 times
I only went once and even as a preteen, I was too scared to go on most of the rides do to the park's reputation. Also, unlike the usual "thrill scare" of most amusement parks, I was able to see how people could quite easily die on several of their rides.
The loop wasn't functioning by the time I visited the park, but it was set off to the side, and it scared the @ out of me just to see it and imagine how it worked.
I recall reading the wavepool saw the most # of fatalities. At least reported ones. From what I've heard, there was a lot of settlement going on under the table and not everything got reported.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
You're a youngun. The park closed in 1996, so you must've made it just before it closed. While still way more dangerous that any amusement park that exists today, Action Park was softened up considerably by then (thanks at least in part to the tons of lawsuits, I'm sure). It was at its full, terrifying, life-threatening peak when they opened in the late 70s and the early 80s.

I went a few times as a kid in the early 80s. I didn't lose any limbs, but I almost launched into space going down one of the water slides and the wave pool sure gave me a run for my money.

Oh my bad, i went in 1995 -- not 1996 actually.

I turn 25 in a week which will make it exactly 17 years since I went to Action Park.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:01 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
The Alpine slide was great.

I also remember going down a 10 story flume ride on my back.

Action Park would never make it today as today's kids are wussy's and mommy won't let them go outside and play without being bubbled wrapped.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:19 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,585 times
Oh yeah, I remember it well. We went when I was in my late teens back in the late 80's. I remember we were all quite intoxicated (can't remember if we bought it in with us or if they sold it there). Back then there was really no drinking limit - it was very easy to get beer/liquor when you were under-aged. Not the smartest thing to do at a water park but when you're 18/19 years old you're not all that bright. Luckily no one I was with got hurt, with the exception of a few scrapes and bruises (that Alpine slide was brutal on the limbs). I remember that looping water slide but it wasn't open.

I hear Mountain Creek is a really good park now although I haven't been there.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:36 PM

Weird NJ has a comprehensive article on Action Park with some on the different injuries:

weirdnj.com - ACTION PARK

Old 07-05-2012, 12:38 PM

127 posts, read 262,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post

Kind of funny how when we arrived in the morning there was this asian family eating spaghetti from tupperware in the parking lot.
Well, spaghetti was invented in China! Marco Polo brought it to Italy.

Also: The following picture (from the website DOMAIN OF DEATH) conveys Action Park's lunacy. Rumor has it that they sent a dummy down the slide to test it, and it came out the bottom end in pieces.

http://www.domainofdeath3.com/observ...onballLoop.JPG

Old 07-05-2012, 01:41 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_o_matic 76 View Post
Well, spaghetti was invented in China! Marco Polo brought it to Italy.

Also: The following picture (from the website DOMAIN OF DEATH) conveys Action Park's lunacy. Rumor has it that they sent a dummy down the slide to test it, and it came out the bottom end in pieces.

http://www.domainofdeath3.com/observ...onballLoop.JPG
What the heck is that? Did they expect people to defy gravity when they went down that slide?

Old 07-05-2012, 01:54 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
What the heck is that? Did they expect people to defy gravity when they went down that slide?
Behold the water slide so dangerous it was shut down immediately
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey