Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:05 PM

6 posts, read 14,786 times

Advertisements

My husband just accepted an offer in NJ. It has all happened very quickly and now we must move before the schools start the first week of september. We have 2 kids, one 7th grader and one 2nd grader. They have already started going to schools here. We have to decide on their schools fast.
After we decide on their schools we have to find a home. we are thinking of renting a town home or a house for the first few months so we have a chance to fameliarize ourselve with the different areas. We are also going for a house hunting trip for 4 days next week. Its basically going to be for looking at the schools and finding a rental. My husband would be working in Warren.
Here are the things I am concerned about. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
1. What schools should I be looking at? We do not want to be more than 20-30 mins away from work. From what I have read,in the past few hours, New Providence, Summit, Basking ridge, Westfield are good districts around. Is princeton/West windsor too far from Warren? I must add that both my kids are going to gifted programs offered through the public schools here. So their education is our top priority.

2 Any suggestions on rental town homes/properties with the good schools. We need atleast 3 bed/2 bath. The co. would be covering it for awhile atleast. We want to make sure that we rent in the right area so that we dont have to change the schools again if we later decide to buy our house in a different area. I believe our housing budget is going to be around 800k

Thanks so much

Last edited by loveaz; 08-15-2008 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 05:10 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,632,424 times
what is your price range OP? The Hills in Baskingridge? or Bedminster?..one of the "B" towns..I always get them confused..are supposed to be really nice. I think Princetonw WWindsor will be too far for you.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:21 AM

23,895 posts, read 33,644,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveaz View Post
I believe our housing budget is going to be around 800k
Someone needs more coffee. lol

Quote:
My husband just accepted an offer in NJ. It has all happened very quickly and now we must move before the schools start the first week of september. We have 2 kids, one 7th grader and one 2nd grader. They have already started going to schools here. We have to decide on their schools fast.
After we decide on their schools we have to find a home. we are thinking of renting a town home or a house for the first few months so we have a chance to fameliarize ourselve with the different areas. We are also going for a house hunting trip for 4 days next week. Its basically going to be for looking at the schools and finding a rental. My husband would be working in Warren.
Here are the things I am concerned about. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
1. What schools should I be looking at? We do not want to be more than 20-30 mins away from work. From what I have read,in the past few hours, New Providence, Summit, Basking ridge, Westfield are good districts around. Is princeton/West windsor too far from Warren? I must add that both my kids are going to gifted programs offered through the public schools here. So their education is our top priority.

2 Any suggestions on rental town homes/properties with the good schools. We need atleast 3 bed/2 bath. The co. would be covering it for awhile atleast. We want to make sure that we rent in the right area so that we dont have to change the schools again if we later decide to buy our house in a different area.
Pretty sure Warren & Watchung share schools, do a search of this forum, I linked the school system within the last year. You can't go wrong with either town, if I could afford Watchung, I'd move there in a minute.

Renting is the best bet right now until you are sure. Prices are still coming down.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:15 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,322,045 times
1) West Windsor to Warren is way too far for you. It's nearly an hour drive without rush-hour traffic.
2) Stick with nearby towns in Morris or Somerset Counties... parts of Hunterdon County may also work if you want it a bit more rural. In your price range, there's no need to drive more than 15 minutes, (under 30 to many parts of Hunterdon.)

Old 08-16-2008, 07:51 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,632,424 times
with a budget of 800K..I'd start in Warren.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:29 AM

6 posts, read 14,786 times
Default Thanks for all the quick replies

Lots of good info - thank you. Our primary priority is schools so would like the forum's feedback on how the following compare:
Warren/Wachung/Westfield/Basking Ridge/Bedminster/Berkeley Heights/New Providence and Bedminster. Our 2 children are in the gifted program in AZ school - so would like to find something comparable if it exists.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:57 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,952,419 times
NJ education is exceptional in any of the above districts, your children will be served well either in the current academic program (all of those communities have outstanding schools, many blue ribbons and other awards) and loads of opportunities for gifted programs. Your housing budget will cover a 3BR/2BA easily. Good advice is to find realtor who will show you both rental and for sale properties. I'd be inclined to rent for at least 6 months, get to know the area, traffic patterns, back roads etc. and then decide if you are liking the schools well enough or want to move them again. They are at an age that 1 year won't have that much of an effect if you move again.

Check out each school districts web site, or utilize New Jersey Department of Ed website to search for more information. Make appointments or write down the numbers of the schools and call to visit. New Jersey schools don't begin until after Labor Day, so your kids will think they are on vacation and starting over by the time you get them enrolled!

Old 08-16-2008, 04:46 PM

604 posts, read 2,917,313 times
Here are the towns, IN THE HILLS, West to East, least to most expensive, close to Warren with good schools (some rated better than others) that have AP courses.

Branchburg, Bridgewater, Warren,Watchung, Mountainside
You can travel from Branchburg thru all thse towns to Moutainside all on one straight backroad.

In NJ we do not have county schools systems, every town has it's own system ( one of the reasons for our high taxes) so as long as you live in that town that's where your kids go to school.

Any of the above towns are a good choice, some more expensive than others but all good places to live.

E

Old 08-18-2008, 09:32 PM

127 posts, read 545,043 times
I would recommend to move to Basking Ridge (Bernards Township, Somerset County). Here is the link to their schools - Ridge High School (9-12)
In terms of the stability of your investment, Somerset county is better than Union (Warren/Watchung/Berkeley Heights/Westfield)

Old 08-19-2008, 05:08 AM

43 posts, read 190,022 times
Quote:

2 Any suggestions on rental town homes/properties with the good schools. We need atleast 3 bed/2 bath. The co. would be covering it for awhile atleast. We want to make sure that we rent in the right area so that we dont have to change the schools again if we later decide to buy our house in a different area. I believe our housing budget is going to be around 800k

Thanks so much
I would go with Warren/Long Hill/Watchung/Green Brook. All four go to the same HS school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey