Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 10:32 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I have family living down the shore in beach towns. They use 'benny' very frequently.

I live in New Jersey. Have all my life, as well. I know what I am talking about. Of course, nothing we say goes for EVERYONE in the state. They're just generalizations that we find very often to be true/occur.
Haha..my son and sister argue this point every year..my sister has lived in Toms River for 30 years but was born & raised in Jersey City, my son was born in Monmouth Couty and resided there for a bit but actually raised in Morris county...he says Auntie is the actual benny and Auntie says no, nephew is the benny..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 11:29 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And the easiest way to tell a benny? If you say you "go down the shore" you are a benny. Local, "go to the beach".
Yeah, because you're already down the shore. Once I'm down the shore, I also say go to the beach.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:35 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,782 times
Oh my! My thread has grown quite a bit!

Old 08-29-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Following parkway signs in northeast NJ cities is a thinly disguised ploy to force a tour of the innermost business districts from which you might never return.
Don't follow parkway signs!!!!!!
LOL! YES! It's so annoying!

Old 08-29-2012, 11:38 AM

On the deer issue:

deer are both beautiful creatures to be protected, and horrid pests that can damage your car and eat your plants

Old 08-29-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
Oh, here's another, kind of related to city data forums

there are no "multicultural" towns and you as a person can't be "multicultural". New Jersey is so full of every kind of immigran, race, ethnic group and whatever, that there is no norm. There are no "white" people. There are Italians and Irish descendentgs, but they're only part of the state.

I know your college professors plied you with "diversity" nonsense, and that's cute, but that's just nonsense. Diversity is the norm, there is no norm for something by comparison to be "diverse". I know you're professor whined about the oppression of white anglo saxon protestant males, but I've honestly never even met one. Seriously, my whole life in Jersey, never met one.

If you're looking for a place to live and you don't want to be bored/want to try different ethnic foods, just say that, don't call yourself "multicultural".
There ARE white people. I am one of them. I come from half Italian and a quarter each Irish and German ancestry. I am 100% European-American and 100% white. 95% of my town is also European-white. 25% of my town is Italian, about 20% is Irish, and about 15% is German. And those are just three of the many European ethnic groups that happen to be the most predominant ones in my area.

New Jersey has more than just "part of the state" that's European-American, or even any other race/ethnicity. I believe about 60% of NJ is white (don't get too mad if I'm wrong there). You'll find white people as a majority in more towns than you wouldn't, if that makes sense.

New Jersey is known to historically be very Italian. Just look at all the stereotypes: the accent, the mob (thanks Sopranos), having pizza places everywhere, etc etc. I don't know if it is or ever was "the norm" but it was and certainly still is predominant. Also people of Irish ancestry are predominant in NJ. So I really don't understand your post when you say there are no "white" people and there is no norm. There IS multiculturalism (isn't being from 3 types of European ethnicities like myself multicultural? they may all be in Europe but they're a heck of a lot different from one another) and there ARE "white" people (why that is in quotes I don't know). Just like there are black people, Hispanic people, Asian people, and anybody else you can think of. NJ IS a diverse place and multiculturalism does exist here, more so than in most other states.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Haha..my son and sister argue this point every year..my sister has lived in Toms River for 30 years but was born & raised in Jersey City, my son was born in Monmouth Couty and resided there for a bit but actually raised in Morris county...he says Auntie is the actual benny and Auntie says no, nephew is the benny..lol
Haha in my personal opinion, you can only be a true local if you've grown up in a shore town. Like, from birth to high school. Somebody who moved down the shore from up north shouldn't be calling people Bennys in a disapproving way!

My uncle now lives in Pt. Pleasant Beach, moved there about 3 years ago, but grew up and lived in North Jersey for almost all his life, minus college, and a few years spent in very western Monmouth county (the boonies) after he got married. He calls me a Benny when I go to the beach. Really, dude? You're as much of a benny as I am! He shouldn't be calling anyone a Benny, because in my mind, he's one too!

Of course, this is all my opinion and the way I look at a true local.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
On the deer issue:

deer are both beautiful creatures to be protected, and horrid pests that can damage your car and eat your plants
Also on the deer issue: there are WAY too many! haha New Jersey is far too densely populated to have as many deer as we do. I find them on my front lawn eating my plants at 5 am, and they're always hit on the parkway near my house. Too many deer and too many people is not a good mix for anyone.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:53 AM

Italians and Irish are too specific to be white. They're too conected to their old country and culture, and have their own accents and subcultures here in the U.S.

Quote:
NJ IS a diverse place and multiculturalism does exist here, more so than in most other states
That's what I'm saying, it's so pervasive it's the norm. Saying it's "multicultural" is saying that everything's "normal" or just "is". A word that doesn't describe anything, or describes something trivial is a meaningless word.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:54 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
There ARE white people. I am one of them. I come from half Italian and a quarter each Irish and German ancestry. I am 100% European-American and 100% white. 95% of my town is also European-white. 25% of my town is Italian, about 20% is Irish, and about 15% is German. And those are just three of the many European ethnic groups that happen to be the most predominant ones in my area.

New Jersey has more than just "part of the state" that's European-American, or even any other race/ethnicity. I believe about 60% of NJ is white (don't get too mad if I'm wrong there). You'll find white people as a majority in more towns than you wouldn't, if that makes sense.

New Jersey is known to historically be very Italian. Just look at all the stereotypes: the accent, the mob (thanks Sopranos), having pizza places everywhere, etc etc. I don't know if it is or ever was "the norm" but it was and certainly still is predominant. Also people of Irish ancestry are predominant in NJ. So I really don't understand your post when you say there are no "white" people and there is no norm. There IS multiculturalism (isn't being from 3 types of European ethnicities like myself multicultural? they may all be in Europe but they're a heck of a lot different from one another) and there ARE "white" people (why that is in quotes I don't know). Just like there are black people, Hispanic people, Asian people, and anybody else you can think of. NJ IS a diverse place and multiculturalism does exist here, more so than in most other states.
HEY! We Dutch were here first*, centuries before any Irish and Italians showed up.

*Well, after the Lenape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey