Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:51 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's hilarious. My friend, who grew up in NJ but has lived in the LA for about 30 years now, was visiting Jersey this past week. I met up with her in Ocean City and we went to the boardwalk, and when we passed some people on the sidewalk she smiled at them and said, "Hello, and how are you tonight?" They kind of smiled and look at her as if she was weird.
I have to try hard to make small talk in "middle America" when I am buying groceries or getting something at the 7-11. I had my dog in a store this week on vacay and one clerk wanted to know her friggin life story. Jeez - I'm just trying to shop here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 09:18 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
"The city" is NYC and Philadelphia is "Philly" to me. Always has been, always will.

The one that used to drive people who live in NY crazy when I went to school there was when I referred to "the bridge" (GWB) or "the tunnel" (Lincoln). Me and my friends always called them that growing up and it stuck. I have only used the Holland tunnel one time (I was around 18 yrs old) when a few drops of water dripped on my windshield and I was convinced the tunnel was collapsing, LOL. I never went in there again so I suppose in my mind it doesn't exist.
The city always = NYC. Bridge is GWB, tunnel can be either, but lincoln is a safe bet. Philly is (shockingly) Philly.

I was born and raised in Jersey and have never heard the term gravy until about 10 years ago (I'm 35). I think it's a result of the Sopranos and everybody claiming their Italian heritage (even though they ignored it previously).

Gravy is taken to mean pasta sauce by mainstream Italian Americans, bu I think it is not correct.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:43 PM

296 posts, read 638,520 times
i hugged the guy that pumped my gas. freaked him out. later that week i went for more gas and he hugged me! its o.k to come out of your safety shells and live. i like looking at the menu pictures, not all are created equal. some look like a toddler did them.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:30 PM

456 posts, read 833,418 times
Quote:
That's hilarious. My friend, who grew up in NJ but has lived in the LA for about 30 years now, was visiting Jersey this past week. I met up with her in Ocean City and we went to the boardwalk, and when we passed some people on the sidewalk she smiled at them and said, "Hello, and how are you tonight?" They kind of smiled and look at her as if she was weird.
haha, for me it was very weird when visiting California, when people were so nice, always greeting me, asking how I was, I was always thinking there was a catch ("oh they are trying to sell me something" or "maybe hitting on me") and so forth

Old 08-15-2012, 06:39 AM

88,585 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
haha, for me it was very weird when visiting California, when people were so nice, always greeting me, asking how I was, I was always thinking there was a catch ("oh they are trying to sell me something" or "maybe hitting on me") and so forth
That's what I would think! "Good morning." "What the hell do you mean by THAT?"

Old 08-15-2012, 10:13 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
That's what I would think! "Good morning." "What the hell do you mean by THAT?"

Or, as someone with whom I used to work would say when told to "have a good day"...Don't tell me what type of day to have!
(Uttered with mock outrage and indignation, but sufficiently genuine-sounding to fool some new employees.)

Old 08-15-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
The city always = NYC. Bridge is GWB, tunnel can be either, but lincoln is a safe bet. Philly is (shockingly) Philly.

I was born and raised in Jersey and have never heard the term gravy until about 10 years ago (I'm 35). I think it's a result of the Sopranos and everybody claiming their Italian heritage (even though they ignored it previously).

Gravy is taken to mean pasta sauce by mainstream Italian Americans, bu I think it is not correct.
Like anything else, it's a bastardization of the European culture. In Ireland until very recently they hardly celebrated St. Patrick's Day and it wasn't a day to drink green beer and puke on your friend's shoes. It was more of a religious observance.

Since NJ & NY is heavily Sicilian, it may have more to do with that specific culture since a lot of Italians consider them apart somehow.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retriever View Post
or, as someone with whom i used to work would say when told to "have a good day"...don't tell me what type of day to have!
(uttered with mock outrage and indignation, but sufficiently genuine-sounding to fool some new employees.)
:d
Click image for larger version

Name:	flair.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	99762

Old 08-15-2012, 11:48 AM

88,585 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Like anything else, it's a bastardization of the European culture. In Ireland until very recently they hardly celebrated St. Patrick's Day and it wasn't a day to drink green beer and puke on your friend's shoes. It was more of a religious observance.

Since NJ & NY is heavily Sicilian, it may have more to do with that specific culture since a lot of Italians consider them apart somehow.
I'd heard it from Italian coworkers long before the Sopranos was on TV. I try to educate them to the fact that gravy is made from meat drippings and thickened with flour, but to no avail. And since gravy is an ENGLISH word, THEY are obviously misusing it. Harumph.

Also, people of a certain age will remember that around 1980, macaroni, noodles, spaghetti, whatever, suddenly started to be called "pasta", and prices went up. It was part of the cooking craze of the 80s, but neither Italians or non-Italians ever used the term "pasta" before that. It was an Italian word, but not generally in use until the foody culture started and the media picked up the word. Look in an old cookbook sometime. You'll rarely find "pasta".

Old 08-15-2012, 02:09 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashford View Post
i hugged the guy that pumped my gas. freaked him out. later that week i went for more gas and he hugged me! its o.k to come out of your safety shells and live. i like looking at the menu pictures, not all are created equal. some look like a toddler did them.
I like looking at the menu, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey