Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 11:09 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Wondering people's thoughts......

I'm torn. Thanksgiving is the one holiday that the majority of Americans celebrate. I stay far away from shopping that weekend because I have no interest in the chaos to save a few bucks. I think it is sad to force Target workers to work 8pm Thanksgiving night, but if people want to work to make overtime pay, then fine.

Any thoughts?
to each their own. I worked at circuit city as a commission paid employee and loved black friday. but as a consumer, i could care less about it. the deals aren't as good as it appears. it's usually junk items to get you in the store. but...people seem to love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 11:14 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Arguments about workers rights and the breakdown of the family aside, I believe that there are two types of people in this world, those who are dyed-in-the-wool Black Friday addicts, and those who are not. I belong to the latter. I've never been to a Black Friday sale in my life (not even one on Friday), but just from the news coverage that inevitably follows on Friday evening/Saturday morning, I've seen that it's basically the toilet bowl of the human experience: Desperate people camped out in long lines in the cold engaged in what is basically idolatry, trampled store workers, old people, and anyone else too slow to get out of the way once the doors open, altercations over merchandise, and disgruntled shoppers who got there too late. It's the absolute depth of misery, despair, and the pathetic pursuit of Chinese made crap. Why would anyone voluntarily put themselves through that?

Thanksgiving night we usually don't wrap up dessert until at least 11:00-11:30 and then will stay up talking (our usual Thanksgiving group is relatives we see maybe two or three times a year) until the wee hours. Friday mornings my dad and brother and I will get up early to go pheasant hunting and everyone else sleeps in. Then we come home, take a nap, and do a big lunch of Thanksgiving leftovers in the early afternoon. After that it's a lazy day that ends in a bonfire and beers in the backyard. I'll take all of that over a $25 TV any day.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:14 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
I am against stores being open on Thanksgiving day, and never shop on that day, even if I find myself missing a 'vital' cooking ingredient. I just make do.

Thanksgiving is a national holiday, not a religious holiday. If stores want to be open on Christmas day then I have no problem with that. Not everyone in the country is a christian and not everyone celebrates Christmas. However, no matter what our faith, we are Americans, and should be able to celebrate our national holidays. Corporate greed makes me sick...

I worked in retail decades ago and well remember how happy I and my co-workers were to get the day off. We were mostly struggling financially, but the day off to spend with friends and family was well worth it.

I'm frankly sick of the 'election day sales!', the 'presidents day sales!', the 'labor day sales!', ad nauseum.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:16 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
christmas day is actually a national holiday...but i get your point.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:20 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
people make their own choices for their lives. they dont need someone like you on your high horse thinking they need you to save them from their miserable lives.
Speaking of people on their high horse....

CaptainNJ 10/29 @ 4:14 pm in Sandy thread: so is it time to start saying "we dodged a bullet" and me to start saying "i told you so" yet?

10/29 @ 4:42 pm: so this is the level of hysteria for some flooding in places on the coast that flood regularly during rainstorms?

nyc will get less than nj im sure. nj will have some problems but people arent going to die or lose their homes (they may have a tree fall on it though).

Old 11-13-2012, 11:20 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Arguments about workers rights and the breakdown of the family aside, I believe that there are two types of people in this world, those who are dyed-in-the-wool Black Friday addicts, and those who are not. I belong to the latter. I've never been to a Black Friday sale in my life (not even one on Friday), but just from the news coverage that inevitably follows on Friday evening/Saturday morning, I've seen that it's basically the toilet bowl of the human experience: Desperate people camped out in long lines in the cold engaged in what is basically idolatry, trampled store workers, old people, and anyone else too slow to get out of the way once the doors open, altercations over merchandise, and disgruntled shoppers who got there too late. It's the absolute depth of misery, despair, and the pathetic pursuit of Chinese made crap. Why would anyone voluntarily put themselves through that?

Thanksgiving night we usually don't wrap up dessert until at least 11:00-11:30 and then will stay up talking (our usual Thanksgiving group is relatives we see maybe two or three times a year) until the wee hours. Friday mornings my dad and brother and I will get up early to go pheasant hunting and everyone else sleeps in. Then we come home, take a nap, and do a big lunch of Thanksgiving leftovers in the early afternoon. After that it's a lazy day that ends in a bonfire and beers in the backyard. I'll take all of that over a $25 TV any day.

That sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving...and I also have never been a Black Friday craziac

Old 11-13-2012, 11:21 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post

CaptainNJ 10/29 @ 4:14 pm in Sandy thread: so is it time to start saying "we dodged a bullet" and me to start saying "i told you so" yet?

10/29 @ 4:42 pm: so this is the level of hysteria for some flooding in places on the coast that flood regularly during rainstorms?

nyc will get less than nj im sure. nj will have some problems but people arent going to die or lose their homes (they may have a tree fall on it though).

Please. Stop. The. Troll. Food.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:23 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post

Yep..where the hell is that guy karma

Old 11-13-2012, 11:48 AM

118 posts, read 316,543 times
"The things you own end up owning you" - This quote from Fight Club seems to apply here.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:50 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
I used to work in retail and worked numerous Black Fridays (had to be there at 4 in the morning). What a nightmare!

I'm not going anywhere near those stores that whole holiday weekend. You get better prices later in the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey