Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:27 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
So under his theory if my boss is having a bad day he can just fire everyone and that's OK.

Yeah....that makes perfect sense.
Except that's exactly how 90% or so of us are employed, "at will". Your boss could have a crappy day and decide to fire everyone, he really can. The reason he won't is because he needs to rely on you to get work done to keep the company running.

So, how about this theory which is the prevailing mindset in public sector unions...

A worker is having a bad decade. They are not performing their job remotely well and are constantly demanding higher compensation. Instead of being able to fire that employee, they need to be retained or sent to a "box" where they receive full pay for 18 or so months while a mediator decides whether or not they can actually be terminated.

Yeah......that makes perfect sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 08:51 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
I've been on both sides of the fence, A union employee and a non union supervisor and also a non union business owner.

Every worker in NJ benefits because Union wages/benefits help keep all wages higher just to be competitive.

You don't believe me come down South where we have very few unions and all the wages are low.

Are unions perfect? Absolutely not but being fired just because you pissed off your boss the day he was having HIS period is a lot worse.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I've been on both sides of the fence, A union employee and a non union supervisor and also a non union business owner.

Every worker in NJ benefits because Union wages/benefits help keep all wages higher just to be competitive.

You don't believe me come down South where we have very few unions and all the wages are low.

Are unions perfect? Absolutely not but being fired just because you pissed off your boss the day he was having HIS period is a lot worse.
I find it hard to believe that 7% of the private industry workforce in NJ is ensuring wages for the other 93% especially when the vast majority of jobs are in industries and professions that there is no union presence in.

I don't really have a problem with private sector unions. I do have a problem with public sector unions for reasons I have already stated in multiple threads.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 AM

605 posts, read 2,147,545 times
Quote:
So under his theory if my boss is having a bad day he can just fire everyone and that's OK.

But you can quit whenever you want to. So, it is fair you can quit but employers can't fire at will? I'm not talking firing based on discrimination. If an employer wants to clean house, they can.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:39 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
This topic interests me so much as a New Jersey resident...

Old 01-16-2013, 10:41 AM

605 posts, read 2,147,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Then why did you click on the thread?

Old 01-16-2013, 10:47 AM

188 posts, read 190,743 times
Quote:

LOL

Try to look at it this way, Lynne:

FDR gave us the "New Deal".

With Lyndon Johnson it was the "The Great Society".

Magic78 and Marc Paolella are champions of the "Les Miserable Society".

Old 01-16-2013, 10:47 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Well thanks to the de-unionization of America with millions of dollars of corporate lobbying, job security is a thing of the past like growth in wages and good benefits. As usual, Marc supports our race to the bottom.
Job security is an anti-concept. It is a meaningless term. A job, like any other human relationship in a free society, can never be guaranteed or secure. Nor should it be. Nor can it be.

In a free society, you have the ultimate job security at your disposal at every minute: You can be a kick-ass employee who is indispensable. The reality is that 99% of all employees who are really good and really diligent never will be fired. Or you can open a business, and hire yourself. See how the freedom thing works?

It does demand the best from everyone. Which is as it should be.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 AM

188 posts, read 190,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Then why did you click on the thread?
Maybe he's the kind of person who just can't stop themselves from watching a train wreck.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:51 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobd04 View Post
Maybe he's the kind of person who just can't stop themselves from watching a train wreck.
I wish there was a LMAO emoticon. Just making the point that there are forums for all 50 states and that NYC school bus drivers don't have anything to do with NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey