Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:53 AM

605 posts, read 2,148,252 times

Advertisements

Why don't lawyers and bankers scream for unions and job security?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 10:55 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,079,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Job security is an anti-concept. It is a meaningless term. A job, like any other human relationship in a free society, can never be guaranteed or secure. Nor should it be. Nor can it be.

In a free society, you have the ultimate job security at your disposal at every minute: You can be a kick-ass employee who is indispensable. The reality is that 99% of all employees who are really good and really diligent never will be fired. Or you can open a business, and hire yourself. See how the freedom thing works?

It does demand the best from everyone. Which is as it should be.
This is backed up by no facts as usual.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:56 AM

188 posts, read 190,884 times
Quote:
Job security is an anti-concept. It is a meaningless term. A job, like any other human relationship in a free society, can never be guaranteed or secure. Nor should it be. Nor can it be.

In a free society, you have the ultimate job security at your disposal at every minute: You can be a kick-ass employee who is indispensable. The reality is that 99% of all employees who are really good and really diligent never will be fired. Or you can open a business, and hire yourself. See how the freedom thing works?

It's funny how people with an over-inflated sense of their self worth are always the first to come up with that crap.

I'll add that fantasy to your fantasy views on racism.

Sometimes you have to take a long look back to get an accurate view forward. Know where you've come from before racing ahead to make the same mistakes over and over again. People being what they are, the "free society" you speak of can't exist. As Lynne pointed out, your boss comes to work in a bad mood and you're fired. How do you think that would work out in today's economy? And, BTW, you sound a bit like Mitt Romney telling people to just start their own business and hire yourself. What should the recently fired person do, Marc? Just follow Mitt's advice and borrow the money from mom and dad?

LOLOL

A good dose of reality would go a long way to leaven your arrogance and ignorance.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:59 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
What do you expect from one of the "highly schooled" RE salesman.
Keep those personal attacks coming boys! Maybe you are unable to defend your philosophy? Of course, first you have decide what your philosophy is. And if that philosophy includes collectivism and redistributionism and worship of the least in all of us, then I guess I can see why the personal attack option seems best. I would not like to be arguing your side either.
Nonetheless, I advocate for freedom and I argue for a system that supports and demands the best in everyone. Why? Because time is very short and being competent and diligent and always getting better and becoming more effective is the best way to live. And it makes for the best society and will keep America kicking the rest of the world's ass.

That is where I want to live. Not in a country of whining, snivelling, collectivist thieves whose lives amount to a primal scream to the universe at large: "Why do I have to do anything?! Others should just provide it to me!"

Old 01-16-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Why don't lawyers and bankers scream for unions and job security?
After the banking/finance sector robbed the entire nation blind and then got a bailout that they used to give themselves massive raises and bonuses you have the nerve to ask why they don't scream for unions and job security?

LAWYERS AND BANKERS DON'T NEED UNIONS OR JOB SECURITY. THEY'RE SECURITY LIES IN THEIR ABILITY TO ROB THE ENTIRE NATION AT WILL AND THEN GET BAILED OUT FOR THEIR CRIMES.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Keep those personal attacks coming boys! Maybe you are unable to defend your philosophy? Of course, first you have decide what your philosophy is. And if that philosophy includes collectivism and redistributionism and worship of the least in all of us, then I guess I can see why the personal attack option seems best. I would not like to be arguing your side either.
Nonetheless, I advocate for freedom and I argue for a system that supports and demands the best in everyone. Why? Because time is very short and being competent and diligent and always getting better and becoming more effective is the best way to live. And it makes for the best society and will keep America kicking the rest of the world's ass.

That is where I want to live. Not in a country of whining, snivelling, collectivist thieves whose lives amount to a primal scream to the universe at large: "Why do I have to do anything?! Others should just provide it to me!"
You're another one, Marc. You have the nerve to call people sniveling collectivist thieves after YOUR economic sector robbed the rest of us blind and then got bailed out by us "sniveling collectivist thieves"!

And then you have the nerve to suggest the completely laughable notion that we should follow your "philosophy".

You just can't make this stuff up.

I wonder how many homes you'd sell if your customers knew what you really thought of them.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 AM

605 posts, read 2,148,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobd04 View Post
After the banking/finance sector robbed the entire nation blind and then got a bailout that they used to give themselves massive raises and bonuses you have the nerve to ask why they don't scream for unions and job security?

LAWYERS AND BANKERS DON'T NEED UNIONS OR JOB SECURITY. THEY'RE SECURITY LIES IN THEIR ABILITY TO ROB THE ENTIRE NATION AT WILL AND THEN GET BAILED OUT FOR THEIR CRIMES.
Omg....not talking about corporate bailout. There are lots of bankers and lawyers who have absolutely nothing to do with corporate bailout. Some lawyers and bankers do not make much money yet have student debt that they will be paying for decades. They work hard, don't expect their jobs to be there unless they fulfill their responsibilities and beyond.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
This is backed up by no facts as usual.
Marc doesn't need facts.

I've personally seen some of the best workers at several companies I worked for fired while the some of the worst were kept on due to connections or schmoozing the boss or any number of other reasons.

Marc lives in a fantasy world where everyone in the workplace upholds only the very highest moral standards.

LOLOL

And get this, he's in an industry where that always happens -- real estate.

ROFLMAO

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobd04 View Post
It's funny how people with an over-inflated sense of their self worth are always the first to come up with that crap.

I'll add that fantasy to your fantasy views on racism.

Sometimes you have to take a long look back to get an accurate view forward. Know where you've come from before racing ahead to make the same mistakes over and over again. People being what they are, the "free society" you speak of can't exist. As Lynne pointed out, your boss comes to work in a bad mood and you're fired. How do you think that would work out in today's economy? And, BTW, you sound a bit like Mitt Romney telling people to just start their own business and hire yourself. What should the recently fired person do, Marc? Just follow Mitt's advice and borrow the money from mom and dad?

LOLOL

A good dose of reality would go a long way to leaven your arrogance and ignorance.
I don't believe in race. I believe in species. We are all the same species. No difference, no distinction, no relevance. The fact that one's epithelial covering reflects light waves at a frequency different from my own is totally non-significant and irrelevant to life and irrelevant to character and irrelevant to talent and irrelevant to capability and irrelevant to Reason.

How does that grab you?

And your imaginary boss who fires you for irrational momentary mood swings simply does not exist. And if he does exist? DO ME A FAVOR: FIRE ME! I wouldn't want to work for such a person. I am better than that and would not tolerate such a human.

You need to do better coming up with straw men to defend your collectivistic mindset. I would prefer a more formidable argument to take apart.

3,859 posts, read 9,983,536 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey