Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 04:23 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times

Advertisements

Most of it can be seen by simply looking at your registration. That's most of what's seen. Other than the status of the registration such as valid, suspended, revoked or stolen (depending on how it is run).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 10:04 PM

478 posts, read 1,230,138 times
I always thought they were looking for outstanding warrants. I know the local cops pick up most of the scofflaws on minor traffic stops.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I always thought they were looking for outstanding warrants.
Different system. there are several databases, state and national. each one runs separately. Linking them together has been a stumbling block and only recently was software developed by a vendor that does it to a point. TV shows make it look easy and it's not.

Certain serious warrants and offenses can be linked to a specific plate. That still requires caution and only provides probable cause to investigate further.

Running a registration means little as it doesn't determine who is currently driving the vehicle. A warrant check requires a set of specific identifiers.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:00 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
I was a cop at one time. A 10-29 is asking if the vehicle is wanted or not. A 10-28 is asking for vehicle infor and registered owner infor. A 10-27 is running the drivers license. Sometimes they will also run the registered owner to see if he is wanted for anything and check his priors. It's always been easy to get that information.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:18 PM

3 posts, read 8,102 times
I got my car impounded for not having my insurance card, although the car is insured. Without getting into the details, I WILL say that I called my insurance company and they told me that New Jersey HAS the capability of accessing whether the car is insured because the insurance info pulls directly from the VIN number.
IMHO it's nothing more than a denial of my 4th ammendment rights. This IS the year 2013 and let's face it, it's very unreasonable to seize someone's property when the officer has a computer and my VIN number is being run, but the "policy" makers in the township refuse to use the database efficiently and effectively when the data is readilly available. Sounds to me like ripping people off appeals to them more than anything.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalloryMoment View Post
I got my car impounded for not having my insurance card, although the car is insured. Without getting into the details, I WILL say that I called my insurance company and they told me that New Jersey HAS the capability of accessing whether the car is insured because the insurance info pulls directly from the VIN number.
IMHO it's nothing more than a denial of my 4th ammendment rights. This IS the year 2013 and let's face it, it's very unreasonable to seize someone's property when the officer has a computer and my VIN number is being run, but the "policy" makers in the township refuse to use the database efficiently and effectively when the data is readilly available. Sounds to me like ripping people off appeals to them more than anything.
I think the story here is in the details. You waived your rights to the 4th amendment by breaking the law. The law states that you must carry proof of insurance on your when operating a vehicle. Get into the details and we can see if you were mistreated. But in regards to the 4th amendment, since you waived your rights, it may be a non-issue.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:43 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
[quote=rscalzo;28301975] I have never seen insurance info given on a NJ reg through the system. ... Trying to call the company and getting the info is next to impossible. If they do supply, many will only fax or mail to the agency. ... [/quota]
AFAIK, police officers can phone the number on your expired insurance ID card & receive a simple Yes or No answer, when asking if the vehicle is currently insured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Many times policies that appeared valid at the scene of a mva or between parties that exchange info would be found not to be valid at a later day. But after thirty days , a summons could not be issued.
Statute of limitations for No Insurance has always been 6 months"
"N.J.S.A.39:6B-2. ... A complaint for violation of this act may be made to a municipal court at any time within six months after the date of the alleged offense."
http://law.njstatelib.org/law_files/.../L1983c141.pdf

Old 03-01-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I called my insurance company and they told me that New Jersey HAS the capability of accessing whether the car is insured because the insurance info pulls directly from the VIN number
Then your company had better get the facts because that doesn't exist at the interface through SCIC. Yes, the STATE of New Jersey has the data but it has never been provided through the system that is accessed by local agencies. Because one agency has the info doesn't mean it's accessible by all.

I stand corrected.

Some of the limitations were changed just as I got out. DWI was 30 days which created issues in the past. In the end, it's the court who decides if they will permit the complaint to be filed. Court rules can affect the actual date. Issue would arise when parties decided to settle it themselves and after an extended period find that they couldn't agree. then when an insurance claim was filed, it would be too late. One reason to always get a report. Even with what appears to be a valid card it can result in the driver being uninsured.

The actual statute:
New Jersey Statute Directory - NJSA 39:5-3. Appearance, arrest process; complaint; venue

Last edited by rscalzo; 03-01-2013 at 08:57 AM..

Old 03-01-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
was always curious with what they see when they pop in your plate #...
Much depends how it is entered. There are different systems that give different systems although that was changing in the past few years with an attempt to interface systems together. Apparently it isn't easy. A big part of the NCIC 2000 system was first changing to a graphic user interface and a internet based system and linking of databases and the ability to search across them. That was a big issue. But much has changed since I left so I a bit behind the times. I got a quick review last year. Much improved in what's available.

Last edited by rscalzo; 03-01-2013 at 09:15 AM..

Old 03-01-2013, 09:04 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Police no longer have to enter your license plate number; cameras on the exterior of some patrol cars scan passing tags & check data bases for owners & drivers:
Electronic scanners can help nab bad guys | NJ.com
High-tech license plate reader helps Perth Amboy police track cars | NJ.com
"The automated license plate reader ... takes pictures of every license plate that passes by, then scans it against national and local databases – for stolen cars ..., Amber alerts, suspended licenses, even down to expired registrations. ... the “be on the lookout,” or “BOLO,” list – ... can include information from the National Crime Information Center, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, as well as the state Motor Vehicle Commission."

Automatic number plate recognition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Surveillance State - Automatic Licence Plate Scanners (ALPR) | New Jersey Criminal Defense Lawyer

Last edited by bigjake54; 03-01-2013 at 09:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: