Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 PM

39 posts, read 75,588 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I really enjoy the advice and perspective shared on this site. My first post here, so hopefully I can get some insight and also get some good info for others like me. Here's the deal:

Wife and I are both city kids, moving from Brooklyn, looking to move to Northern Jersey for the following reasons:
1- Planning to start a family soon so looking for an excellent public school system (like every other parent on this board I'm sure)

2- I work in NYC so I'm looking for a direct train line that will get me into the city ideally in ~45 mins. Guy that used to work for me took the bus into midtown from Bloomfield and I swear he called in late with a delay or traffic issue at least twice a week. This turned me off to the bus option. Midtown direct train line limits my town options to Essex County (I think).

3- Mom lives in Staten Island so don't want to be too far. Gotta think about baby sitter access! We also have many friends in NYC and Brooklyn so wouldn't want the weekend drive to be too far.

Here is where our taste come into play:
1- We love the restaurants, parks, culture, urban feel that Brooklyn and NYC offer, so we would need a town with a hip (for lack of a better word) vibe in the downtown area. Even though we're looking at suburbs, can't be too suburbie.

2- Nice mix of ethnicities.

About us: Mid 30s professionals, looking in the $600 - $800 range

Where we've looked: Primarily in Montclair, and a little in S. Orange, Maplewood, and W. Orange. The property taxes in these towns are high as giraffe's you-know-what, but I figure we'd be paying that in private school tuition if we were in NYC/BK so I don't mind paying the taxes for a great school system. (Even better payoff with more than 1 kid).

Any thoughts from you guys on some places that we should consider? Bergen County towns maybe?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 11:13 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,317,828 times
Glen Ridge satisfies all your criteria... with your 'hip vibe' needs getting met in neighboring Montclair.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:39 AM

385 posts, read 1,176,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime2013 View Post
Hi all, I really enjoy the advice and perspective shared on this site. My first post here, so hopefully I can get some insight and also get some good info for others like me. Here's the deal:

Wife and I are both city kids, moving from Brooklyn, looking to move to Northern Jersey for the following reasons:
1- Planning to start a family soon so looking for an excellent public school system (like every other parent on this board I'm sure)

2- I work in NYC so I'm looking for a direct train line that will get me into the city ideally in ~45 mins. Guy that used to work for me took the bus into midtown from Bloomfield and I swear he called in late with a delay or traffic issue at least twice a week. This turned me off to the bus option. Midtown direct train line limits my town options to Essex County (I think).

3- Mom lives in Staten Island so don't want to be too far. Gotta think about baby sitter access! We also have many friends in NYC and Brooklyn so wouldn't want the weekend drive to be too far.

1- We love the restaurants, parks, culture, urban feel that Brooklyn and NYC offer, so we would need a town with a hip (for lack of a better word) vibe in the downtown area. Even though we're looking at suburbs, can't be too suburbie.

About us: Mid 30s professionals, looking in the $600 - $800 range

Where we've looked: Primarily in Montclair, and a little in S. Orange, Maplewood, and W. Orange. The property taxes in these towns are high as giraffe's you-know-what, but I figure we'd be paying that in private school tuition if we were in NYC/BK so I don't mind paying the taxes for a great school system. (Even better payoff with more than 1 kid).

Any thoughts from you guys on some places that we should consider? Bergen County towns maybe?

Thanks!
i'm in south orange. the taxes here are very high, the schools are ok. the real plus about south orange and maplewood is the short commute time. the downtowns are not great in either. west orange is similar, but west orange does not have a train station, though it does have a free jitney to south orange and orange stations from certain parts of town.

glen ridge is a good idea because of good schools, and that it has direct nyc train service and like the previous poster said, close to montclair.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:48 PM

191 posts, read 698,475 times
I think definitely Montclair - fits pretty much everything you're looking for and you'll be in an area that other former Brooklynites are flocking to. Yes, there are many NYC bus commuting complaints - ideally if you could find a place within walking distance to one of the many NYC direct train stations in Montclair you will be fine. There is a wait list for parking permits at the stations, some up to 4 years so keep that in mind. There are also complaints about the trains having delays and cancellations as well so the best scenario is a home near the train and bus route so you can switch depending on whatever clever commute says that day. FYI, only one train station in Montclair has weekend service (Bay St). Also, an easy drive from Montclair to NYC via GSP south to 280 east to Holland Tunnel.

Montclair, Real Estate, and the “Brooklyn Triangle”

Old 06-26-2013, 07:00 PM

Glen Ridge has come up as well. From what I see the inventory is very low. So might take awhile for something to come up. I have that on the list too.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:17 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,776,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime2013 View Post
Glen Ridge has come up as well. From what I see the inventory is very low. So might take awhile for something to come up. I have that on the list too.
Just watch the taxes in Glen Ridge. It's Essex county, so higher than expected taxes compared to similar houses in other counties.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:44 AM

191 posts, read 698,475 times
Quote:

This description does not fit Glen Ridge for sure. The taxes are higher because I believe GR schools are about 100% funded by property taxes. I know a few families that live in GR, they joke about how every year for sale signs go up the day after graduation (so now would be when you start seeing homes appear). I spoke with a few potential neighbors in Montclair (both families moved from Harlem/NYC) when I was looking to buy in the area last year and this is what I was told. One family looked around Montclair and GR and felt that many areas were a bit stuffy, the wife said in GR she would have to dress up to take out the garbage and she didn't want to live that way. The other family wanted more house/property and less taxes then they could get in certain parts of Montclair. Both families were pretty laid-back and down to earth, they both wound up buying in Montclair's south end, we still run into to them and they are all very happy with their decision after 3 years time.

BTW, per my real estate agents who service Montclair/GR, as soon as homes hit the market especially in GR but in Montclair too - they are getting multiple offers above asking within a few days right now.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:55 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,326,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len-NJ View Post
This description does not fit Glen Ridge for sure. The taxes are higher because I believe GR schools are about 100% funded by property taxes. I know a few families that live in GR, they joke about how every year for sale signs go up the day after graduation (so now would be when you start seeing homes appear). I spoke with a few potential neighbors in Montclair (both families moved from Harlem/NYC) when I was looking to buy in the area last year and this is what I was told. One family looked around Montclair and GR and felt that many areas were a bit stuffy, the wife said in GR she would have to dress up to take out the garbage and she didn't want to live that way. The other family wanted more house/property and less taxes then they could get in certain parts of Montclair. Both families were pretty laid-back and down to earth, they both wound up buying in Montclair's south end, we still run into to them and they are all very happy with their decision after 3 years time.

BTW, per my real estate agents who service Montclair/GR, as soon as homes hit the market especially in GR but in Montclair too - they are getting multiple offers above asking within a few days right now.
True. Housing market has been on fire. I think dowtown Jersey City completely fits the vibe the OP is looking for; however, schools suck so you have to send to private and the taxes are ungodly like most towns in NJ.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len-NJ View Post

Your real estate agent ain't kidding. We saw a place we liked online, made an appointment a few days later to go check it out, only to find that they accepted an offer after like 5 days. Crazy,

Old 06-28-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
True. Housing market has been on fire. I think dowtown Jersey City completely fits the vibe the OP is looking for; however, schools suck so you have to send to private and the taxes are ungodly like most towns in NJ.
I wouldn't mind downtown JC. But there's no way we're paying those taxes only to pay for private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey