Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 06:41 AM

20,350 posts, read 19,958,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Is there a 12 page thread on that topic....?
Feel free to start one.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:20 AM

396 posts, read 708,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
feel free to start one.
exactly.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:23 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,989,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Feel free to start one.
That's the point though isn't it? There isn't a thread about that story and this one has already added several more pages.

I get it, it's a big story, covered by NY papers, on front page of Yahoo homepage, etc. But the other story is just as tragic.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
That's the point though isn't it? There isn't a thread about that story and this one has already added several more pages.

I get it, it's a big story, covered by NY papers, on front page of Yahoo homepage, etc. But the other story is just as tragic.
Ok, I get what you are saying but let me play devil's advocate, which is what I think doc was trying to do.

Rather than complain about it, why are you or someone else not driven to start that thread?

Old 12-18-2013, 07:31 AM

....although, in the spirit of being fair and thinking about this some more......(and being devils's advocate to my own devil's advocate statement above...)

It does bother me when we make a huge deal about the kidnapping of white children and disregard same stories about kids of color. Then again, here in NY/NJ we have gotten better about it than we used to be..... For example, that 14 year old autistic kid whose face is all over the subway in NYC.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:48 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,989,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonGrace View Post
....although, in the spirit of being fair and thinking about this some more......(and being devils's advocate to my own devil's advocate statement above...)

It does bother me when we make a huge deal about the kidnapping of white children and disregard same stories about kids of color. Then again, here in NY/NJ we have gotten better about it than we used to be..... For example, that 14 year old autistic kid whose face is all over the subway in NYC.
I think we're on the same page. Peace

Old 12-18-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I think we're on the same page. Peace
...and to you, :-)

All hard stuff....and let's not forget the role the media plays too.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:14 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,875,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonGrace View Post
In terms of choosing that mall, there have been carjackings there before. It's full of nice cars and idiots like me that think we are safe. I did have a situation once there where two scary dudes were hanging outside looking as though they were scoping the place out so maybe I am not that much of an idiot as I immediately went inside, waited to go back out with a crowd and did so talking loudly on my phone, keys in hand. In other words, there is a history at this mall that had me on my guard at least once before.
There was an elaborate Queens-based car theft ring that was recently busted. They stole from the rich suburbs of LI, Westchester and NJ.

Like many other crime syndicates, their MO was non-confrontational. The cars they swiped were parked unattended in driveways, commuter parking lots and shopping centers while the owners were not near the cars. They succeeded because they had some way to open the vehicles and start the engines, sometimes in connivance with car dealer employees. Another reason is that there are car owners who are stupid enough to leave cars unlocked. They also had strategically-located disposal areas outside of NYC where they can quickly drop the car off and change the plates and VIN.

Car theft is a complex operation, especially when targeting affluent victims. Professional car thieves will almost always choose a non-confrontational tactic over armed robbery. It may be that the SHM carjackers went there intending to steal a car. But it did not look like they were experienced or had the infrastructure to carry out their crime. The fact that they resorted to armed robbery means they had no knowledge or technology to pry open locked cars and start engines. And leaving the SUV in Newark shows they did not have the logistics to process the loot. To put it another way, thieves cannot accumulate the experience in stealing cars - luxury cars - if their usual MO is armed robbery because this strategy does not work too often enough.

It may have worked if they wanted to steal a wallet or handbag. But not an SUV.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
There was an elaborate Queens-based car theft ring that was recently busted. They stole from the rich suburbs of LI, Westchester and NJ.

Like many other crime syndicates, their MO was non-confrontational. The cars they swiped were parked unattended in driveways, commuter parking lots and shopping centers while the owners were not near the cars. They succeeded because they had some way to open the vehicles and start the engines, sometimes in connivance with car dealer employees. Another reason is that there are car owners who are stupid enough to leave cars unlocked. They also had strategically-located disposal areas outside of NYC where they can quickly drop the car off and change the plates and VIN.

Car theft is a complex operation, especially when targeting affluent victims. Professional car thieves will almost always choose a non-confrontational tactic over armed robbery. It may be that the SHM carjackers went there intending to steal a car. But it did not look like they were experienced or had the infrastructure to carry out their crime. The fact that they resorted to armed robbery means they had no knowledge or technology to pry open locked cars and start engines. And leaving the SUV in Newark shows they did not have the logistics to process the loot. To put it another way, thieves cannot accumulate the experience in stealing cars - luxury cars - if their usual MO is armed robbery because this strategy does not work too often enough.

It may have worked if they wanted to steal a wallet or handbag. But not an SUV.
You make sense--I did not know all that. Thank you.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:29 AM

18,481 posts, read 15,279,839 times
For what it's worth, I heard this morning that they are very close to catching these guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey