Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 09:19 PM

17 posts, read 27,624 times

Advertisements

[Bringing this from General US]

Hi,

I know this topic has already been raised before here but I just wanted to pick a city based on the following points.

A brief background that I live in Bayonne NJ, which is right next to Jersey City and borders Staten Island from the other side, hence it is fairly close to NY city. I work in NY city and have to commute their daily and wife studies in Rutgers University Newark Campus. We have a 1 year old. The time it takes for me through train in 1 hour to the city.

I am currently intending to buy my own house and in a bit of fix that whether I should buy in Bayonne or venture out.

My main interest points (in terms of preference) are:-

- Best School for my child
- Low Crime rate
- Easy access to train for NY travelling
- Easy access to nearby markets, shopping area.
- Street Lights; I know it's weird but I am particularly wary about it. Reason being, so that me and wife can stroll outside our house for a block or two and don't feel walking in an Ghost village as some of the cities I went look great during day but look deserted at night. So at least street lights should be there to make sure we see what's going on around us at night.

- Open layout houses - more of depends on the house, but the reason to move out of Bayonne is that we could find the house in open layouts with some space around the house for some greenery.

- Considerably low taxes.

P.S. I do find all of these things in Bayonne, except the schools are not great, there are high taxes, and the houses usually are very close and tightened up.

I apologize for being lengthy but I will be thankful if you can assist me here; probably a city or whether I should stay in Bayonne, NJ.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 09:44 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
What is your budget? I lived in Bayonne for some time and I really liked it, but I did not have children to worry about. Plus, I rented so I was immune to property taxes. I can tell you that property taxes are going to be very, very high anywhere you look. You will also not find all that much "property" to go with your taxes anywhere within a reasonable commute to NYC. I actually think that Bayonne might be your best bet, all things considered. If you are up to a commute, and I mean a hell of a commute, then you could look to Morris, Sussex, and Middlesex counties. Generally, the farther you go out the more land you will get for your money, the lower the property taxes, the better the schools, but the more hellish the commute to NYC.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:48 PM

Thank you for your quick reply. I am living in Bayonne for two years now and I agree with you that it's a great place. But the problem is that it's really hard to find a good house for buying. Only one place I remotely liked was a town house but then again it was a town house and I am not very much into it. I am hoping that I can get some good place to live for the money we pay in Bayonne.

Btw, my budget is $300,000 - $400,000.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:02 AM

324 posts, read 575,441 times
Don't apologize for being lengthy - the more information, the better. Middlesex county is probably your best option. With that budget, you're not going to get the "best" school, but you can find some pretty good schools. You can probably meet all of your other requirements assuming you think 1-1.5 hours is a reasonable commute and understand that property taxes are high everywhere in NJ, but Middlesex county's are lower than many areas to the north.

You'd pay less in taxes and maintenance if you bought a condo, but you'd also owe homeowner's association fees. Whatever you decide, you need to incorporate all of these expenses into your budget as they are a significant portion of your monthly payment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Plus, I rented so I was immune to property taxes.
Do you think your landlord does not have to pay property taxes? Property taxes affect the amount of rent you pay.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:58 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
The place you are looking for does not exist. Something will have to give.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:19 PM

160 posts, read 300,986 times
Honest opinion: Stay in Bayonne. You seem to like it for the most part and the commute is very good from there. Something will have to give for you. Bayonne has most of what you want and is relatively affordable and very safe for an urban city.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:25 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Check out Maplewood/South Orange. The taxes are high, but you may be able to find what you are looking for.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:18 PM

Thank you for your suggestions. I really appreciate.

One small question, If I take out tax out of equation and increase my budget to $400,000 - $450,000, do you think I'd be able to find a better place to move, or is Bayonne still a better place?

veuvegirl, thank you! I drove to SO, Maplewood upon your suggestion and it's looks pretty awesome!

Old 03-03-2014, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,335 times
Hi Famaash,

Depending on where in the city you need to commute to, I would also recommend looking into Union and Essex counties. For your budget of 400k, you could easily find a nice-sized house, decent property taxes and close to the train. I'm a Realtor and I know that what you're looking for, most people are looking for. Cranford is a nice option, it's got a nice downtown, and a range of homes from 300k upwards of 800k. It's cheaper than South Orange but very good schools and offers bus and transit into NY. It's also about a 20 minute ride/drive to Newark. Scotch Plains is also a very nice option (it's where I grew up) - a little more expensive and a little further, but a very nice place to live. mod cut
Joe
mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-03-2014 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: no advertising

Old 03-04-2014, 09:09 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famaash View Post

- Considerably low taxes.

There is no place in NJ that is safe and has good schools and low in taxes.

Almost all areas that are safe with good schools have taxes $11k+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey