Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 05:50 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,457,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atubbs View Post
He would be going into Newark, Hoboken, Monmouth are a few big ones but in reality he would be calling on every hospital and surgery center. Since his work revolves around OR time he leaves early 5-530am and comes home as early as 2-3pm

My husband is from outside of Buffalo, NY so he likes a bit more rural feel but still a strong since of community. We like to lots of outside activities with our kids. I am a native san diegan so I know I'll have big adjustments.

We currently live in a condo in an middle to upper class neighborhood. Our schools here are pretty awful....we live near a "good" school and it's kindergarden class has 45 students so I am very conscience about schools but have the opinion it matter more on parent involvement and home life etc....

Thank you for providing us with additional info! It really helps. First thing you should know, is that rush hour around here begins at 5 am, it is not unusual for backups and delays to begin before 6 am. The afternoon rush generally begins in the 2:30 to 3 range and lasts until after 7. Remember over 250,000 people who live in NJ, even as far west as Warren and Sussex Co commute into the city. Many companies have embraced flexible work hours in an attempt to deal with the horrible congestion/commutes here in NNJ. The commute time into Hoboken, Weehawken, Jersey City will take you over an hour, and it is going to get much worse as very soon they are shutting down a major artery to the area, the Pulaski Skyway, for much needed repairs for 2 yrs. If your hubby has to go to sites in the New Brunswick area you are looking at 1.5 hours plus each way due to traffic. (going from the NW part of the state.) The commute from Mt. Olive/Flanders to Monmouth will take you over 2 hours, more like 2.5.

I suggest you look further east, to eastern Morris Co, if hubby has to cover places near the city. Cedar Knolls, Whippany, Morris Plains, Florham Park, Randolph, Chester to name but a few where you'll find what you indicate you are looking for with homes within your budget. (provided you are not looking for a Mc Mansion) You'll probably want to avoid Essex Co due to high taxes (as in take a stiff drink before you look at those figures!) Speaking of taxes, take a look at them soon, as you may have to adjust your housing budget due to the fact that NJ "enjoys" the pleasure of having the highest property tax rates in the nation. It is very common in NJ to see 400K homes with property taxes over 10k a year. Though Morris Co usually has lower taxes than say Essex, Union, or Bergen Co. You also need to be careful in looking at towns because some that are full of homes in your price range have flooding issues (Wayne, Denville, Parsippany, Pompton Lakes, Cranford etc to name just a few)

The good news is that you will find the schools here in Jersey are so much better than what you've been used to in Cali. in fact NJ ranks at or near the top in public schools in the nation. Most kindergarten's in Morris Co are ~20 or less per class.

KoalaNJ

Last edited by KoalaNJ; 03-21-2014 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: add additional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 12:02 PM

7 posts, read 17,318 times
Thank you. It helps me start somewhere.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:43 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,081,516 times
If you're from SD why not look in Monmouth or southern Middlesex? Would be close to the beach if you like that.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:37 PM

807 posts, read 1,034,641 times
About 10 years ago Hackettstown was in Money magazines top 100 small towns. But that was 10 years ago. Since then there has been a large influx of Colombian people. What that did was fill the town with uneducated, low-skill workers. This brought down the public schools, caused more crime in the area, and really didn't bring in anything positive. No offense to Colombians, but that's just the facts. Sorry to say you don't see many Colombians in this area as scientists, doctors, lawyers, or teachers.

It's still a nice area, much better than many small towns around the country. It's still very safe, has enough small businesses and shopping for ones needs, and is close to major commuting roads.

I would live in the Hackettstown area if I worked around there, wanted cheaper housing and didn't care about the schools.

There are better options around, but better usually means housing and taxes will be more expensive.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:59 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,918,021 times
Tons of Mexicans too! When I was growing up in the 80s Hackettstown was so nice.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:36 PM

385 posts, read 1,176,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
About 10 years ago Hackettstown was in Money magazines top 100 small towns. But that was 10 years ago. Since then there has been a large influx of Colombian people. What that did was fill the town with uneducated, low-skill workers. This brought down the public schools, caused more crime in the area, and really didn't bring in anything positive. No offense to Colombians, but that's just the facts. Sorry to say you don't see many Colombians in this area as scientists, doctors, lawyers, or teachers.

It's still a nice area, much better than many small towns around the country. It's still very safe, has enough small businesses and shopping for ones needs, and is close to major commuting roads.

I would live in the Hackettstown area if I worked around there, wanted cheaper housing and didn't care about the schools.

There are better options around, but better usually means housing and taxes will be more expensive.
actually, they have helped the hackettstown area. what once were vacant homes and businesses are now filled with colombian migrants and businesses. would you rather hackettstown be filled with vacant homes? whereas many children of hackettstown natives are leaving, colombians are coming in, which helps hackettstown. fyi, hackettstown is a blue-collar community, and has never been one filled with "scientists, doctors, lawyers, or teachers", no matter what race.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:15 PM

882 posts, read 1,672,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slope95 View Post
actually, they have helped the hackettstown area. what once were vacant homes and businesses are now filled with colombian migrants and businesses. would you rather hackettstown be filled with vacant homes? whereas many children of hackettstown natives are leaving, colombians are coming in, which helps hackettstown. fyi, hackettstown is a blue-collar community, and has never been one filled with "scientists, doctors, lawyers, or teachers", no matter what race.
THIS. Sometimes towns in NJ develop a stigma because they aren't very white collar, but that doesn't make them particularly unsafe. Hackettstown even have some decent restaurants, and the surrounding countryside is some of the most beautiful in the state.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slope95 View Post
I think the Colombians would be better off in Union City or North Bergen with their fellow Cubans.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:53 PM

882 posts, read 1,672,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
I think the Colombians would be better off in Union City or North Bergen with their fellow Cubans.
And Columbians have what, exactly in common with Cubans, other than language?

Old 03-23-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
And Columbians have what, exactly in common with Cubans, other than language?
That's grammatically incorrect. You should have asked, "Other than language, what exactly do Columbians have in common with Cubans?"

Last edited by johnfrisco; 03-23-2014 at 06:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey