Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 03:19 PM

11,362 posts, read 16,735,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Is the logic behind those couple of States that will not allow you to pump your own gas one of liability ? If so, how do they think the other 48 States survive with pump your own gas stations ? Makes no sense. The people in the other 48 can't be THAT much smarter than in NJ.

I would go nuts if I had to sit there while the guy pumped gas into 10 other cars. Here I zip in and out in a couple of minutes tops.

Don
Really...Now it's 10 cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 03:57 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,874,491 times
At least 10 cars. When I pull into any gas station down here there are generally 5 or 6 rows of pumps with 4 pumps each. Especially in the morning when going to work there will be at least 10 or more cars already there. With self serve you just find an empty pump, put in your card, pump your gas, and you are out of there in no more that 2-3 minutes.

Or does Jersey only have one of two people who get gas at the same time ? I think not.

Don

Old 04-10-2014, 04:11 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,982,868 times
I lived in NJ for 40 years, and when we moved to the south, I was terrified at the thought I'd have to pump my own gas. Really, it isn't rocket science. I have never had to wait for a pump, except during shortages when Costco was the most reliable source. Easy peasy, in and out, hands still smell like Ivory soap.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
At least 10 cars. When I pull into any gas station down here there are generally 5 or 6 rows of pumps with 4 pumps each. Especially in the morning when going to work there will be at least 10 or more cars already there. With self serve you just find an empty pump, put in your card, pump your gas, and you are out of there in no more that 2-3 minutes.

Or does Jersey only have one of two people who get gas at the same time ? I think not.

Don
This is not what you said in the original post.

"There are 10 pumps. Only two cars were there when I pulled in. Two attendants"

If by chance there are 10 more cars, find a new station. My time is worth more than a few pennies saving per gallon. And as far as pumping my own, I'm usually wearing a suit and don't like to smell of gas when I get to the office.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:39 PM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
This is not what you said in the original post.

"There are 10 pumps. Only two cars were there when I pulled in. Two attendants"

If by chance there are 10 more cars, find a new station. My time is worth more than a few pennies saving per gallon. And as far as pumping my own, I'm usually wearing a suit and don't like to smell of gas when I get to the office.
That's not the original poster.

I'm with you--if there are ten cars there, I don't need to get gas at that moment. I'll wait.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:44 PM

I was wondering what you were talking about, Camaro. Please, I get blamed for enough stuff, don't tack on things I didn't do.

Don

Old 04-10-2014, 06:47 PM

414 posts, read 932,394 times
Quote:

Don

I think you're exaggerating, Don. At least for the majority of the "regular sized" gas stations (Luk-Oil, Sunoco, etc) that I frequent here in Southern NJ. I'm talking at most 3-4 rows with each row having 2 pumps on each side. (5-6 rows? wth? )

Hell, I went to a small BP station earlier this evening and there was a bit of a wait (just about 5 mins)...but I was chillin' with the top down on the convertible, enjoying the beautiful weather and decompressing from another work day

I have enough stress at work...not trying to create more at the gas station..lol

But I usually only see 10 or more cars on busy weekends at the large gas stations on the NJ or PA Turnpikes....but I hardly ever get gas on the Turnpike..soooo not an issue for me!

Sometimes those jumbo Wawa gas stations get busy and may see close to this kind of volume of occasion.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I was wondering what you were talking about, Camaro. Please, I get blamed for enough stuff, don't tack on things I didn't do.

Don
Sorry...

Old 04-10-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Winter Soldier View Post
I think you're exaggerating, Don. At least for the majority of the "regular sized" gas stations (Luk-Oil, Sunoco, etc) that I frequent here in Southern NJ. I'm talking at most 3-4 rows with each row having 2 pumps on each side. (5-6 rows? wth? )

Hell, I went to a small BP station earlier this evening and there was a bit of a wait (just about 5 mins)...but I was chillin' with the top down on the convertible, enjoying the beautiful weather and decompressing from another work day

I have enough stress at work...not trying to create more at the gas station..lol

But I usually only see 10 or more cars on busy weekends at the large gas stations on the NJ or PA Turnpikes....but I hardly ever get gas on the Turnpike..soooo not an issue for me!

Sometimes those jumbo Wawa gas stations get busy and may see close to this kind of volume of occasion.

You may have only a couple of rows in NJ, but not here in Florida. Even the Racetrac next to my home has about 7 or 8 rows, and every morning it is jammed. The lawn service guys also pull in there and take their riding mowers off the trailers and fill them up, which REALLY creates a slowdown. I'd love to see some attendant trying to handle that mess.

Don

Old 04-10-2014, 08:53 PM

32,961 posts, read 36,439,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I lived in NJ for 40 years, and when we moved to the south, I was terrified at the thought I'd have to pump my own gas. Really, it isn't rocket science. I have never had to wait for a pump, except during shortages when Costco was the most reliable source. Easy peasy, in and out, hands still smell like Ivory soap.
How did you like pumping your own when it was 10 below zero?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey