Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 07:55 AM

264 posts, read 606,432 times

Advertisements

If you are extremely sure that school quality +- some factor doesn't make a significant difference, go for the choices. But many people don't know that for sure, and certainly posters asking questions on this forum don't, which is why they are here. The mentality is just to place on your bets on the best choice affordable, and hope you are getting the best education and social environment for the kids. I worry all the time about transferring responsibility and good work ethics to my kids, how to raise them without a sense of entitlement. That is something I alone cannot do, it also comes from the company we keep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 08:07 AM

18,471 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Yes, but in my experience, in a holistic view, the pressure must be internal at some point. And a lot of that comes from the household.

If the kid really has no motivation to study, maybe his friends are all nerds at Millburn so he has some surficial motivation to study, ends up being a B student in AP courses and you send him to Tufts and then he proceeds to get mediocre grades. He's at the same point or maybe even worse off than if he went to Union high school, was a B student, got into Rutgers, and graduated with the same degree.

The elitist path of education no longer guarantees anything. At some point, the motivation must be genuinely internal.

I also do believe most schools, except the very worst, has a contingent of nerds and slackers anyway. Millburn certainly has slackers and students who don't study.
Of course every school is going to have nerds and slackers. The point was that the proportions are what matters. If a school has enough nerds, then nerds are the norm. The slackers are the aberration. In general, most kids don't want to be the aberration, they want to be the norm so they will conform to whatever environment they are in.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:59 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I want them to be in a place where slacking is looked down upon by their friends.
in holmdel, there are lots of asians. but i go to dinner the other night at texas roadhouse and you think i saw any chinese kids? nope. they are all at home working on math problems. i went to houlihans yesterday and the place was very busy. any asians? nope. they are studying!

Old 01-20-2015, 09:15 AM

271 posts, read 567,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Correct, and this is the elephant in the room. The search for better schools is really a search for better people with which to surround one's self and one's family. It's not about the instruction because the instruction is basically the same in all suburban schools. It's about the fact that people with higher incomes generally strongly value education, and transfer that to their children. Who then score well in a Millburn or Mountain Lakes. It's the parents and the culture that determine the fact that Millburn's schools score well, not the teachers, not the budget, not the buildings, not the football uniforms, not the school lunches.

And that is why inner city schools fail regardless of how much wealth is transferred and dumped into their school systems. It's not about the schools or the teachers, and it never was. It's about the culture behind the kids. It's about the attitude of the parents towards education, accomplishment, and excellence. If the parents don't value it, then neither will the children, or their children.
This post absolutely nailed it.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:34 AM

220 posts, read 379,679 times
Quote:
I see when people, specifically parents are choosing where to live, school choice is foremost. People are seemingly willing to spend perhaps $200K+ on a similar house to move to a place with a good school district.

I attended high school in NJ and it is a Top 20 school (which I think is a joke, but that is for another thread) and over the roughly 2 decades since then, I have met several people who graduated from several different high schools.
Care to share what school this is? I don't think another thread is really needed...

Old 01-20-2015, 10:38 AM

88,616 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
in holmdel, there are lots of asians. but i go to dinner the other night at texas roadhouse and you think i saw any chinese kids? nope. they are all at home working on math problems. i went to houlihans yesterday and the place was very busy. any asians? nope. they are studying!
Now I want a Houlihan's mushroom Swiss burger.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:40 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
I went to my CEO's house and he introduced me to his 2 HS boys and asked me to tutor them. When I tried to tutor them I could not get them to pay any attention nor do they care. Don't think they care about education when their father is a multi-millionaire. Wonder if they are doing well at school at all, maybe the rich simply pay off their educators to give them good grades. Most self made CEOs that I've met all come from poor educational backgrounds. Of course they want their offsprings to have top quality education and it's not easy when daddy is made of money.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I attended high school in NJ and it is a Top 20 school (which I think is a joke, but that is for another thread) and over the roughly 2 decades since then, I have met several people who graduated from several different high schools.
i think the OP is primarily immature and doesnt get it. like marc said, the schools are the same; its the students that are different. so to call it a joke probably means he hasnt figured that out.

my high school was actually the dumbest group of students that i attended school with. but that's because my high school was not selective like many public high schools. it is the school of my past with the lowest "success" rate compared to the schools i attended after it. id hate to send my kids to a high school with a crowd that is less likely to succeed than my high school class.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Now I want a Houlihan's mushroom Swiss burger.
i have been to that houlihans so many times over the past 5 years and i still love it every time i go there. the texas roadhouse meal was awesome also. i got a ribeye steak smothered in onions, mushrooms & cheese.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:04 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,154,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
That's about right. I'm Asian and I never went to Houlihans. Though I did frequent a local Texas hot dog place (Clixes) in Midland Park/Wyckoff when I was a kid. I was the only Asian there. Guess I was a slacker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey