Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2015, 02:36 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It says something about poor management.
Like what , you keep complaining about the commercials .We are talking about grocery stores here ,think could that have been a commercial made maybe aiming at children or parents of children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 04:15 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
I don't know if things have changed recently, but I used to call Winn-Dixie "The Pathmark of the South". They were better than Food Lion, but not by much, and the layout and offerings of the store really did seem similar to Pathmark to me.

They did have cheap booze and cigarettes though.
Winn-Dixie was reputable and respected a long time ago. Like A&P, Winn-Dixie had a series of bad leaderships and bad decisions over the years resulted in store closings, store divestment, market exits, and bankruptcy. The only changes that have occurred are being acquired by Bi-Lo and becoming a banner of Southeastern Grocers. Bi-Lo and Winn-Dixie struggle against Kroger, Publix, and Walmart.

Speculation circulated in January regarding rumor of Kroger acquiring Southeastern Grocers.

Food Lion has also went through a series of bad leaderships and bad decisions. If Ahold's acquisition of Delhaize is approved and completes, Food Lion may undergo many changes to be competitive.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:58 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Like what , you keep complaining about the commercials .We are talking about grocery stores here ,think could that have been a commercial made maybe aiming at children or parents of children?
The garage band spot with the fish sticks plug was run at all hours. It was not aimed at children. How many supermarket adds are aimed at kids? Products yes, supermarket chains no. As the OP stated, Food Lion's reputation for dirty to dingy stores & crappy to inferior stock is earned. They used to be cheap. That was their excuse for crappy. They are currently seriously undercut, price-wise by Aldi & Wal-Mart. They are failing badly. if merging with Ahold gives them a chance to transition to something like Giant of Landover or Giant of Carlisle, over time, it's their only shot at survival. Lidl will be the last nail in the coffin.

Stop & Shop is significantly more expensive. I've shopped in it. Delhaize isn't going to help the situation in North Jersey. They can't fix Food Lion. Kroger has shown interest in A&P. That might help. They've got the finances to do something. I'm surprised that Wal-Mart hasn't started acquisition of empty stores to open Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets in NJ.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm surprised that Wal-Mart hasn't started acquisition of empty stores to open Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets in NJ.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/19/bu...ings.html?_r=0

Your lack of knowledge and understanding of the grocery business is amazing and vast.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:

Your lack of knowledge and understanding of the grocery business is amazing and vast.
You can't comprehend why I think that stupid ads that are running on the air are a sign of bad management. Ads cost money. Running those ads in large & major markets is like throwing money down a sewer. They threw money down the crapper in Philadelphia & Pittsburgh over the Bottom Dollar debacle in spite of its failure when tested in NC. They throw money away in DC, which is major market, and Baltimore, Raleigh, & Charlotte which are large market, as well as a good many smaller markets for stupid commercials that people don't like. Want a feel-good grocery ad? Publix has wonderful ads.

I may have failed to mention that I have lived in South Jersey and North Carolina. So I'm not ignorant of NJ grocers. Also, I spent many years in broadcasting so I'm well aware of commercial rates & how they're booked. Just because I'm looking at it from a different angle doesn't make me stupid. Apparently, you haven't thought about the cost to make & book commercials. They should be functional or compelling.

Why don't you explain to us why Compare Foods isn't picking up stores in NJ. They went to NC & picked up Winn-Dixie stores.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:28 AM

Quote:

I stand by my statement and the above post does not change my opinion .

Old 08-19-2015, 03:09 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Quote:
I guess my point in this is that there are many good places out there and yes there are bad stores also .Yet while we are discussing posters are mentioning the big boys S&S ,Shop Rite ,PathMark and on the other end Wegman's Whole Foods and Trader Joe's but their are so many as I call them independents as Kings in NJ or Quido's Market in the Berkshires that are great little place's and worth a drive if needed.All big chains can have bad stores here and there I'm not saying they don't exist but to damn a whole chain when you have no idea how they handle themselves country wide to me is wrong.S&S in NJ maybe not great but in Maryland and New England it is kicking tail and so you have to remember it is a business .

About Us | Passionate About Food| Kings Food Markets

http://guidosfreshmarketplace.com/
I know Guidos very well. I also love a store called Healthy Living in Burlington VT and Saratoga , NY. Now you mentioned MD, well MOM's organics is nice store too. Your very good at this business and enjoyed your comments.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I stand by my statement and the above post does not change my opinion .
Why would you change your mind? I didn't tell you to. I was addressing the Ahold/Delhaize potential merger which leaves the North Jersey bubble. I was also addressing the OP when you felt an urge to personally attack me. I'm not trying to impress anyone with vast knowledge of the grocery industry. I have other interests & have worked in other fields & I don't look at this thread as a way to validate myself. I'm just making personal observations. Why my personal observations are valid is because they have been concerning Pathmark in South Jersey & my own experience with the Super G/Stop & Shop debacle in South Jersey & personal knowledge of the Delhaize mess involved in the potential Ahold/Delhaize merger which will have to be approved by both the FTC & EU. The OP is good with my posts & it's his/her thread. I suggest that you put me on ignore.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:28 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,541 times
Interesting article on nj.com today:

'Supermarket wars' aim to slow new store openings, experts say | NJ.com

Funny how I've never seen a lawsuit where Wakefern or a Shop-Rite owner has sued to prevent the building of a Stop & Shop or an A&P...

Old 08-19-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I know Guidos very well. I also love a store called Healthy Living in Burlington VT and Saratoga , NY. Now you mentioned MD, well MOM's organics is nice store too. Your very good at this business and enjoyed your comments.

LOL , well Thank you and you are right my wife love's Mom's and another call Dave's organic Market .Again two small but very good chains and there stores aren't flashy but are nice .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey