Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 09:51 PM

684 posts, read 714,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adviceseeker View Post
3k a month for mortgage plus taxes; utilities would be extra. Given this, what do you recommend?

hmmm....

A fix her upper in Glen Ridge ? There is plenty of interesting architecture here. Looks like it takes an hour to get to journal square. This fits your criteria.

if You are looking for a town with a train station and good school. The town like that near me is Millburn, I would move in walking distance from the train station with back yard facing the reservation... This town does not have allot of for sale properties. Might be more time in commute and less houses in your price range.

Monclair, has a train station. Near me, you have to figure out the story with the schools, they are rated only 7.

Trains take you to JC and NYC, and even Hoboken, and Seacucs but also Newark. Newark pen station has NYC Path through Journal square so if you figure out how to get there there might be more options. There is a Harrison path station also. I never gone that way, so just an idea.

JC is less accessible from NJ then NYC. But driving there is constant traffic. one hour and fifteen minutes of this traffic is Verona, Livingston and Roseland.

Seriously, I prefer NYC to JC because commute is more complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 06:36 AM

122 posts, read 183,956 times
Folks - thanks for all the responses. I do understand the point about icing on the cake but with all due respect, that is what we are looking for. I did find west Caldwell with about a 25 minute drive to the Harrison station from where I could take the path to work on grove street and keep the commute to an hour. This has the kinds of houses I am interested in. It I need to go to nyc, I could do a 10 minute drive to willowbrook mall and take the bus from there. If this is a good option, are there other areas like this within a decent drive to any of the path stations and close to bus station to nyc?

Old 02-22-2016, 07:02 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
Folks - thanks for all the responses. I do understand the point about icing on the cake but with all due respect, that is what we are looking for. I did find west Caldwell with about a 25 minute drive to the Harrison station from where I could take the path to work on grove street and keep the commute to an hour. This has the kinds of houses I am interested in. It I need to go to nyc, I could do a 10 minute drive to willowbrook mall and take the bus from there. If this is a good option, are there other areas like this within a decent drive to any of the path stations and close to bus station to nyc?
I didn't realize WC had new construction like that in your price range. It's a nice place, enjoy!

Old 02-22-2016, 07:17 AM

510 posts, read 500,548 times
Around Willowbrook park and ride is where I live so I can give some assistance. Just be forewarned the bulk of houses will have been built prior to the 90s. Try the following towns:

Wayne <--- will probably have a house which falls into your niche, check this town first
Fairfield: watch out for flood prone areas (FYI keep this in mind for this entire area)
Little Falls: (where I live) avoid section by the the river. There are newer homes in the town which are (usually) cheaper than other towns
Totowa: Try the area bordering Wayne
Cedar Grove: Some newer housing stock, but overall a decent selection
Caldwells: A little of everything, but it can get very expensive fast!

Old 02-22-2016, 07:38 AM

148 posts, read 220,495 times
Keep in mind that NJ is getting worse and worse with the pension system and property taxes. I foresee and increase in income tax and property taxes in the future.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:41 AM

122 posts, read 183,956 times
Folks - I get that my expectations on construction date have to be flexible. If I were to change it earlier than 1990's being ok, can you please advise what I could do?

Old 02-22-2016, 08:16 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
New constructions have the highest property tax assessments. I would not buy one in NJ until I see some property tax records. The towns knows whoever buys one have no clue what to pay and they'll do an assessment and mark it with the highest rate. A lot of buyers or self builders have gotta killed by these unless it's a town struggling to keep people.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:21 AM

684 posts, read 714,040 times
Quote:
Caldwell, did not match the initial criteria, school rating of 7. Never checked for W Caldwell yahh sounds good

Townships that don't have train service to NYC have bus service. Bus get's stuck in traffic more often then train (there is such a thing as train traffic). I was taking buss to NYC for like 4 years, before I got really fed up with it and moved close to a train station. Took train to work for a couple of years, and then got a job close to my house.

Drive to Harrison or Newark is an idea, you would have to research parking there. Cost of monthly pass and how long to get it. Sometimes you have to wait 6 month in line to get parking by train station like that.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:30 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Folks - I get that my expectations on construction date have to be flexible. If I were to change it earlier than 1990's being ok, can you please advise what I could do?
Just one piece of advice. Some houses built in the 70's were wired with aluminum conductors on the branch circuits. There is a remedy that most electricians know how to correct but if possible avoid those houses.

Lots of house fires happened because of that wiring until a remedy was developed later on.

Have the wiring checked before closing a deal.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:48 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
I'm intrigued by your 1990's construction limit, why then? Construction materials? Better contractors? Fear of lead paint?

Regards, a guy who lives in a 1923 house and wouldn't want something from the 1990's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey