Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 07:00 AM

304 posts, read 364,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
oh don't confuse me tommy. This is confusing enough as it is. She pretty much said that if an area is established and can't be built up anymore that the schools will already be there so there wouldn't be a need to build more schools and then the taxes probably won't go up more than they already are. I don't really need a school but if they build one then my taxes will go up and thats something I'd like to avoid . I'm just going by what she said. I don't know anything about this stuff.

I'd like to keep the home cost reasonable and the taxes low too, well, as low as they reasonably can be for NJ.

What towns are you suggesting I look into?
I didn't mean to confuse you I see what you were saying. I'm from northeast new Jersey, so I'm not as knowledgeable on specific municipalities as much as the people are on here. I was steering you more in the direction of a county basis. In all honesty, what you want is not very difficult or obscure to obtain. You coukd likely find this in every part of NJ. I think you should first look at all the towns that were recommended to you in previous posts. Manalapan, Old Bridge, Middletown, etc these areas are havens for Staten Island expatriates. If they're too expensive for you then I would say try something further south, like ocean county but not right on the water. I do think you will be fine.

For what it's worth, my cousins were Staten Island & Brooklyn expatriates who set up in Manalapan and I know it ended up working out real nice for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 08:01 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,457,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJpoliticiansarecrooks View Post
-I didn't say I liked it or disliked it. I simply pointed out another in a litany of factually incorrect statements you made.

-I didn't cherry pick - in that post I chose to focus on one of the inaccurate statements you made. In an earlier post on this thread, I pointed out additional false information you disseminated (about which towns had more open space)

Opinions are fine and dandy but if they're backed up by false information, that's an issue IMHO.

Middletown, Manalapan, & Hanover Twp all have less people per sq mile than Old Bridge, which is what I believe you were using as your open space criteria. Shrewsbury is pretty much the same. You got me on Red Bank, Springfield, and Cranford- although I think Red Bank being less than 10 min from some great beaches might even that out- I was trying to give OP a range of towns to look at.

And you certainly are cherry picking- I never said every town would tick every box- I gave a list of towns I felt were nice towns to look at based on those criteria, again not every town ticks every box. I don't think the criteria for moving someplace is how many lanes the Rt 9 has. I think OP should be aware that this wonderful town you cheerlead has one of the 20 largest superfund sites in the country, as former SIer dealing with the dump back in the day, many of us are sensitive to that kind of thing. Also the drag racing/funny car track that can be heard from neighboring towns is worth pointing out; neither of which you've refuted.

I should have quit this back and forth long ago, but I enjoy this site and got helpful advice when I looked to move and like to return the same. I would postulate that the majority of objective people would prefer the towns I mentioned over Old Bridge when looking for a place to live, but it's the OP's decision ultimately.

Last edited by Metsfan53; 04-05-2016 at 08:16 AM..

Old 04-05-2016, 09:42 AM

255 posts, read 455,649 times
For the third time, I've cheerleaded nothing.

Nor have I ever heard noise from the racetrack since only a tiny percentage of people in the municipality actually lived close enough to hear it. As you yourself point out it's much bigger problem for many in Manalapan.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:56 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
I hate Route 9 with a passion. Weekdays there are buses hogging one lane and brain dead drivers in the middle and left lane hoggers. Lots of accidents are the result of miscues and aggressive driving. Pockets of people doing 40s and many doing under 50 while some are hitting 60+ it's a recipe for accidents.

If you like traffic lights every 1-2 miles then enjoy driving on rt 9.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:40 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,200 times
Manalapan.... so I"m looking on Listingbook at homes in Manalapan and there's a pocket of ranch homes for sale, Deer Way, Fawn Run , Doe drive, all street names are deer related.

The prices of these homes are 175k-200. The price alone raises red flags for me. I'm wondering more about the area.. What am I missing? Why so inexpensive? And where should I be looking in Manalapan? Manalapan township?

I noticed even the more expensive homes are on slabs. Is there a reason why there's no basements? Is the water table high there?

Old 04-05-2016, 11:31 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,457,740 times
Quote:
Manalapan.... so I"m looking on Listingbook at homes in Manalapan and there's a pocket of ranch homes for sale, Deer Way, Fawn Run , Doe drive, all street names are deer related.

The prices of these homes are 175k-200. The price alone raises red flags for me. I'm wondering more about the area.. What am I missing? Why so inexpensive? And where should I be looking in Manalapan? Manalapan township?

I noticed even the more expensive homes are on slabs. Is there a reason why there's no basements? Is the water table high there?

If it's too cheap in Manalapan t's rpob near the trailer park. Stay away. Best advice- take a drive and get to know the blocks you like- it'll save you tons of time.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:00 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
Middletown, Manalapan, & Hanover Twp all have less people per sq mile than Old Bridge, which is what I believe you were using as your open space criteria. Shrewsbury is pretty much the same. You got me on Red Bank, Springfield, and Cranford- although I think Red Bank being less than 10 min from some great beaches might even that out- I was trying to give OP a range of towns to look at.

And you certainly are cherry picking- I never said every town would tick every box- I gave a list of towns I felt were nice towns to look at based on those criteria, again not every town ticks every box. I don't think the criteria for moving someplace is how many lanes the Rt 9 has. I think OP should be aware that this wonderful town you cheerlead has one of the 20 largest superfund sites in the country, as former SIer dealing with the dump back in the day, many of us are sensitive to that kind of thing. Also the drag racing/funny car track that can be heard from neighboring towns is worth pointing out; neither of which you've refuted.

I should have quit this back and forth long ago, but I enjoy this site and got helpful advice when I looked to move and like to return the same. I would postulate that the majority of objective people would prefer the towns I mentioned over Old Bridge when looking for a place to live, but it's the OP's decision ultimately.
What great beaches are less than ten minutes from Red Bank? I love Red Bank and live near it, but it takes 15 minutes or so to get to Sea Bright or Sandy Hook. Just being picky.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
If it's too cheap in Manalapan t's rpob near the trailer park. Stay away. Best advice- take a drive and get to know the blocks you like- it'll save you tons of time.
I had no idea there was a trailer park there.. that's good to know. I thought maybe that area was prone to flooding or a high crime area and was prepared to stay far, far away from there.

We do plan on driving around different area's. At this point I just feel like we have no real destination in mind.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What great beaches are less than ten minutes from Red Bank? I love Red Bank and live near it, but it takes 15 minutes or so to get to Sea Bright or Sandy Hook. Just being picky.
I know you weren't responding to me, but your post actually helps me. It takes us 45mins to get to Sandy Hook from SI.. . Whether it's 10 or 15 mins. it doesn't matter to me. I'm getting a better sense of area's now. Thank you.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:18 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,117,555 times
Quote:
I had no idea there was a trailer park there.. that's good to know. I thought maybe that area was prone to flooding or a high crime area and was prepared to stay far, far away from there.

We do plan on driving around different area's. At this point I just feel like we have no real destination in mind.
That's one thing I've found strange about NJ vs NYC. There are a lot of trailer parks. I don't know anything about the one in Manalapan but most aren't like the ones you see in movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey