Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 07:42 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokhan View Post
1) off roading or hitting pretty much any worthwhile trail (ie in a state park) on an atv or motorcycle/dualsport. I don't think a single park in the state even allows it, I have even heard of people getting arrested for going off path next to a rail construction site, complete bull****t. I had a bike trail/running trail right behind my apartment, this was 15 minute outside of DC in Silver Spring, MD
Walking/biking on pretty much any trail in a state park is legal, so not sure what the issue is there. That's why the trails exist. As far as hiking on a railroad, railroads are private property-that's called trespassing. You are correct that ATVs are not permitted in state parks, forests, etc...but dual sport motorcycles can be operated on any public roadway, which includes the hundreds of miles of unpaved roads in state forests from Stokes to Wharton. There have been some closures due to environmental degradation, but operating a registered and insured motor vehicle is still 100% legal.

Quote:
2) Guns, it is so scary and unworthwile to own a gun in NJ. I know law enforcement that have arrested people for stopping at a diner between the gunrange and home. Horrible, drive to PA, and it's a joke, no regulation anywhere. Obfuscated law, that legislatures, LLE, and judges themselves are confused about. Also why the **** do my neighbors have to do know I am applying for a permit? No sense of privacy, I don't like sharing my business with anyone. PERIOD.
Partial agreement there-our gun laws are terrible and I'm assuming that your PD asks for personal references when applying for an FPID card. I've never heard of neighbors being consulted though-usually they don't specify-they just ask that you put someone down. Honestly the whole process is an infringement, but it's not going to change anytime soon. What town do you live in?

Quote:
3) Huge state liabilities for gun rnages/archery or anything related to 1960s asocial behavior. I once heard it costs $25k to insure an archery range and $100k+ for a gun range in NJ. Have to have an FID to fire alone. Unreal. The second amendment of our nation's Constitution doesn't even exist in NY NJ anymore. "the right to bear arms should not be infringed upon"
What is 1960s asocial behavior?

Quote:
4) boating, swimming kayaking is illegal or not worth it (pollution in the Passaic, Hackensack, Hudson river). Sewage being dumped close to shore. If you grow up this close to the shore in Tampa Orlando Miami the Keys, and tell people you cannot swim they would give you a blank stare, whereas most NJ NY kids aren't swimming proficient. Old man across the street told me how he used to take a dip all the way up to the 60s in the Hudson? Even the cleaner parts there are signs that warn ticketing/arrest for swimming/kayaking/small boats. What the hell happened?
All I can say is go (North)West young man, plenty of lakes, ponds, streams, etc...to swim in up here. Not sure why you'd want to swim in the Passaic, Hudson, or Hackensack even if you could?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 10:29 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
2) Bleeding hearts: When people feel there's an obligation to help those poorer than they, they're more willing to put up with taxes which claim to do so. Unfortunately these taxes don't help, partially because corruption.

Most of NJ's tax burden comes from property taxes. Everyone wants their excellent school system while not wanting to house anything in their town other than single family homes (NIMBY-ism). When their in nothing but homes to tax, they carry the lion's share of the burden. Everyone wants their isolated, provincial fiefdoms to wall themselves off from "Them", whoever they may be. No one wants to share services or consolidate which leads to municipalities paying for redundant services (police chief, super intendant, ect).
Liberalism has nothing to do with the crushing property taxes in NJ & everything to do with the isolationist, often bigoted mind frame many in this state exercise. Suburban NJ gets the taxes they ask for.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:06 PM

789 posts, read 703,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Most of NJ's tax burden comes from property taxes. Everyone wants their excellent school system while not wanting to house anything in their town other than single family homes (NIMBY-ism). When their in nothing but homes to tax, they carry the lion's share of the burden. Everyone wants their isolated, provincial fiefdoms to wall themselves off from "Them", whoever they may be. No one wants to share services or consolidate which leads to municipalities paying for redundant services (police chief, super intendant, ect).
Liberalism has nothing to do with the crushing property taxes in NJ & everything to do with the isolationist, often bigoted mind frame many in this state exercise. Suburban NJ gets the taxes they ask for.
Fascinating analysis. Fails though. NJ's tax burden consists of more than property taxes....the lion's share is in fact the State Income Tax. I wonder if this "bigoted" mind frame is also responsible for the high level of State Income Tax? I also wonder if some how all of those racist, bigot, homophobe, backward, redneck parts of the country have some of the best public school systems without such onerous property taxes or state income taxes (check North Dallas suburbs, and pockets of NC like Apex, Cary, etc).

Fact of the matter is the unholy alliance between public unions and politicians creates an atmosphere of waste and fraud which combine to sock it to the taxpayer. This, along with other factors like you correctly point out of redundant services (which is also public union protected) makes for some onerous taxation.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:39 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
All I can say is go (North)West young man, plenty of lakes, ponds, streams, etc...to swim in up here. Not sure why you'd want to swim in the Passaic, Hudson, or Hackensack even if you could?
You can totally swim in any of those legally. It's just currents and access to better swim locations with sand and fewer concerns of sewage. But legally it's not an issue, your question of "why" is definitely the real one.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:49 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
You can totally swim in any of those legally. It's just currents and access to better swim locations with sand and fewer concerns of sewage. But legally it's not an issue, your question of "why" is definitely the real one.
I will say that swimming in state parks is heavily regulated which is annoying. There are a few spots in the Highlands which shall remain nameless where you can legally swim, use a charcoal grill, and drink a beer though

Old 04-11-2016, 01:59 PM

304 posts, read 364,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Never knew this. I agree with a previous post though...why would folks want to? Sounds fun but at the moment I was getting ready to jump into that deep, black water with the current you can see rushing...it'd be dangerous.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:05 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
Well, like swimming anywhere you just have to not bite off more than you can handle. There's a point where the tide in and out is around the same, you just work around that. But it's not like people aren't killed in riptides or fatigue where there are lifeguards.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:35 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
Fascinating analysis. Fails though. NJ's tax burden consists of more than property taxes....the lion's share is in fact the State Income Tax. I wonder if this "bigoted" mind frame is also responsible for the high level of State Income Tax? I also wonder if some how all of those racist, bigot, homophobe, backward, redneck parts of the country have some of the best public school systems without such onerous property taxes or state income taxes (check North Dallas suburbs, and pockets of NC like Apex, Cary, etc).

Fact of the matter is the unholy alliance between public unions and politicians creates an atmosphere of waste and fraud which combine to sock it to the taxpayer. This, along with other factors like you correctly point out of redundant services (which is also public union protected) makes for some onerous taxation.
Really, your gonna go with that when you want to compare schools?

Perhaps they are the best schools for those two states and yes NJ taxes are a rip off, no doubt. But please don't try to compare any NC schools with NJ schools, it's laughable.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:46 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
I don't know if those schools in TX and NC are good or not, but I'm willing to bet the teachers in those schools are not making over 100K per year, which is common for many districts in NJ. I'm guessing the same is true for the police, fire, and other public workers in those states. People in NJ like to make the argument that our public service workers need to make these high salaries just to survive and live in NJ. Yet somehow those 100K salaries are not so common in the private sector and those employees are managing to survive.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:33 PM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
Ah yes, the Libertarian idea of freedom. Where the free market has absolutely no regulations and wild west laws apply. Thanks, but no.
Newark might be classified as libertarian, as there as NJ gun laws are not applicable within city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey