Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:43 AM

576 posts, read 1,597,068 times

Advertisements

It just amazes me that the cities listed by Tommyc are natorious for having high crime. I dont think anyone would doubt those places are worse in alot of areas than JC. I dont think anybody goes to JC or has pre concieved notions that JC is some hell on earth or you cant even walk around cause thats simply not true. What keeps me posting is this guy that probebly just moved here within the past few years and suddenly has all this knowledge on the city and refers to it as an overall safe city. Listen Tommyc im with you about downtown being alot nicer and a pretty damn safe area with great access to NYC and many more new residents moving in, but I have simply have to disagree with the city as a whole being safe. Throw all your little stats out that you want I simply dont buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 09:47 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
todd, please don't start. You were the genius who bought a house in ***the worst part of Jersey City*** without checking out the neighborhood first. Due to this mind boggling fun-fact alone, your comments are not valid in this conversation. But thanks for playing.

But if you care to participate in an intelligent discussion, you are more than welcome to join cf77 in finding a mid to large sized city (200,000 or more) that are significantly safer than Jersey City. Please provide facts only.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:09 AM

cf77, first let me tell you that you are correct, I am not a Jersey City native. But I was born in NYC, lived there for the first 7 years of my life, then grew up in Cranford NJ, which is about 15 miles from Jersey City. Lived in various places in NJ since Cranford, and I've now lived in JC for the past few years. I am actively involved in the politics of Jersey City. I also serve the local community with a business that I founded and own/operate. I've taken an active interest in the city and it's rich history. I know the city, and not just Downtown. I've got a lot invested in the city, financially and emotionally, and I am aware that I wear it on my sleeve in this forum. I would say that I know more about Jersey City and it's history and it's neighborhoods than at least 50% of the native residents....so while I am not a JC native, I am able to speak with a fairly high level of authority on JC.

That being said....c'mon my friend, not all of the cities I compared JC to are notoriously high in crime!! Let's be fair. Is Boston notoriously high in crime? Is Chicago notoriously high in crime? San Francisco? St Louis? Miami??? Houston? Come on. I did a very fair and random selection of cities that I compared JC to. The fact is...ALL cities are unsafe. JC less so...is what I'm trying to prove.

Still not buying? Show me facts that compete with mine.

Now, admit that you're just jealous that Newark isn't as nice as Downtown JC and we can move on. Or, feel free to provide FACTS to backup your general, BS statement that JC is not safe when compared to other cities. I'll await your response, I'm having a nice relaxing day for once and I'm in the mood for a nice debate

Old 06-03-2008, 10:22 AM

I'll even help you out....here are a few cities with a population that's similar to JC's:

Buffalo, NY
Toledo, OH
Birmingham, AL
Greensboro, NC

Compare JC's crime stats with those.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:38 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I'll even help you out....here are a few cities with a population that's similar to JC's:

Buffalo, NY
Toledo, OH
Birmingham, AL
Greensboro, NC

Compare JC's crime stats with those.
i've read this thread with great interest, but the bolded really shocks me, i have to admit. in the interest of full disclosure, i didn't look up the stats, but by virtue of the fact you listed it, i assume crime in greensboro is higher, lol.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:47 AM

Tahiti, I have not looked those last 4 cities up. I'd like cf77 to do so, since he doesn't believe me, LOL. But I will assume that most have higher crime rates than JC's, or at least very similar.

I just picked 4 cities that are in the 250,000 population range, like JC's.

And for the record, I didn't premeditate on the original 13 cities that I compared JC with either. I randomly picked those cities from all across the countries off the top of my head.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:58 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Jersey City, NJ
Population 240,000
City-data crime index (2006): 509.8

Virginia Beach, VA
Population 435,000
City-data crime index (2006): 230.7

Buuuutttttt, big caveat, Va Beach is a city over 200 square miles. It's the size of Bergen County but with half the people. It's mostly suburban and even rural, so I don't know that it's a fair comparison.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:06 AM

OK tahiti, you tempted me, I looked up Greensboro, NC (which I know nothing about).

Greensboro has a higher murder rate, much higher rape rate, much lower robbery rate, lower aggrivated assault rate, incredibly higher burglary rate (2.5x more), incredibly higher larceny theft rate (over 2x higher), but a lower vehicle theft rate. So overall, Greensboro is more dangerous than JC.

But Tahiti, you are helping me prove my point...people have this bad image of JC, but when you view the FACTS, it does not have a higher than average crime rate for a city. It is much lower than many cities. And this is for JC as a whole...originally in this thread I was only vouching for Downtown JC, where I live. The fact is, city things happen in cities. City life is NOT for many people, but it IS for many others. I have spent a lot of time scolding fischfan's reaction to people trying to find honest info on JC in various threads. He SHOULD reply that one should be cautious and practice common sense, as they are should in any city environment. But instead he makes out JC to be some absurdly high crime area...it's not. For a city, it's quite safe! Just trying to spread the facts.

Tahiti, save yourself...don't get dragged into this argument! Observe from a far!!!

Old 06-03-2008, 11:08 AM

Yea lammius, bad example...can you run those stats for Buffalo, Toledo, and Birmingham? I think they are more comparable to JC...

Old 06-03-2008, 11:12 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
OK tahiti, you tempted me, I looked up Greensboro, NC (which I know nothing about).

Greensboro has a higher murder rate, much higher rape rate, much lower robbery rate, lower aggrivated assault rate, incredibly higher burglary rate (2.5x more), incredibly higher larceny theft rate (over 2x higher), but a lower vehicle theft rate. So overall, Greensboro is more dangerous than JC.

But Tahiti, you are helping me prove my point...people have this bad image of JC, but when you view the FACTS, it does not have a higher than average crime rate for a city. It is much lower than many cities. And this is for JC as a whole...originally in this thread I was only vouching for Downtown JC, where I live. The fact is, city things happen in cities. City life is NOT for many people, but it IS for many others. I have spent a lot of time scolding fischfan's reaction to people trying to find honest info on JC in various threads. He SHOULD reply that one should be cautious and practice common sense, as they are should in any city environment. But instead he makes out JC to be some absurdly high crime area...it's not. For a city, it's quite safe! Just trying to spread the facts.

Tahiti, save yourself...don't get dragged into this argument! Observe from a far!!!

I was with my mom when she got mugged in JC when I was about 7, so I'm definitely staying away from this thread! LOL

That being said, I don't hate JC, I've posted before I have a soft spot for it - while I never lived there, my dad grew up there and worked there (he ran the old Pavonia Ave jail), my brother lives there, my grandfather was knee-deep in politics there , other various family members live there, and I spent A LOT time there and know it pretty well.

If you know JC history, Tommy Whelan used to be my limo driver to/from the airport back in 94 for awhile - he liked me and was friends with my grandfather. What a hoot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey