Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:28 AM

665 posts, read 1,926,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I hear you Phyll. I never realized how much I missed the beach until I moved to a landlocked state. However, you at least have some lakes, and rivers. There is practically no water to speak of in New Mexico, in any form. Fortunately, I make it to San Diego every year, and will usually go to Oregon, or New Jersey as well.
Don't get me wrong , the lake ARE beautiful, but I love to swim,and you can't in the lakes here, so my only option is to put up a pool.I would REALLY miss the water if there were none like you had!Yesterday it was beautiful in TN I climbed in my grandaughter's trampoline layed down in the sun,my daughter whom is 23 asked what I was doing,I told her shhhh-, I am at the beach,listening to the waves and hearing the seagulls,I said "don't ya feel the sand'? Needless to say she told me I was crazy and really lost it now, Maybe we will be able to go to Myrtle Beach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 08:41 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
I love NJ because it has me in it. The beach, NYC, etc., as well as equestrian facilities for the gf are a plus though

Old 04-03-2008, 08:46 AM

531 posts, read 2,150,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
I love NJ because it has me in it.
LOL!!!

Oh and the Jersey shore pales in comparison to shores in warmer and cleaner parts of the world.

Get real.

What I like about Jersey is my friends, my family and my job.

And the fact that I've been here so freakin' long I've gotten attached to things like the graffiti on Route 440. What artisanship!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:57 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster View Post

And the fact that I've been here so freakin' long I've gotten attached to things like the graffiti on Route 440. What artisanship!
It's too funny that you mention that stretch of highway particularly. I've often remarked that there's very little graffiti on the highways in Atlanta- the overpasses, soundwalls, etc., are all clean (not throwing a dig- just stating fact)- whereas every single overpass, column, and wall on the stretch of 287 I used to drive was tagged. I especially remember some of the stuff on that stretch because I was always moving so slowly as I crawled home past it- stuff about a "M-F'n Tea Party" and other such nonsense. It really makes you wonder how it stayed up so long without some agency painting over it- especially with the vulgarity of it. I guess that was one of Corzine's early budget cuts- or was the graffiti the result of one of the "arts" programs that never seem to lose funding?

Old 04-03-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster View Post
Oh and the Jersey shore pales in comparison to shores in warmer and cleaner parts of the world.
Clean depends on where you are in NJ, much like any area...

But while the NJ shore pales in comparison to, lets say, the Bahamas, the Bahamas don't offer the combination of various activities you have access to in NJ. Its not that any one particular piece of NJ is what makes it great (besides me of course), its that you have so many pieces available to you.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
or was the graffiti the result of one of the "arts" programs that never seem to lose funding?
Actually, I've long been a fan of the idea of getting graffiti artists together - especially in urban areas - and having them do murals, or other designs. It can be a great way to get community involvement, and I've seen it work in various places. Plus, it usually stays up and doesn't get covered by somebody tagging "UncleSex" randomly.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:11 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Clean depends on where you are in NJ, much like any area...

But while the NJ shore pales in comparison to, lets say, the Bahamas, the Bahamas don't offer the combination of various activities you have access to in NJ. Its not that any one particular piece of NJ is what makes it great (besides me of course), its that you have so many pieces available to you.
interesting. i've been to the bahamas and hated it. panhandling and women all in your business ("braid your hair pretty lady? only $1 a braid") all day. couldn't wait to leave.

now 7-mile beach is another story.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
interesting. i've been to the bahamas and hated it. panhandling and women all in your business ("braid your hair pretty lady? only $1 a braid") all day. couldn't wait to leave.

now 7-mile beach is another story.
I was talking about the beach specifically, not the people - imho, those people are just as irritating as the guidos and the wannabee thugs.

Of course, I like my summer vacations to NC on the beach, but I also spend a good amount of time inland with my cousin.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:37 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
I was talking about the beach specifically, not the people - imho, those people are just as irritating as the guidos and the wannabee thugs.

Of course, I like my summer vacations to NC on the beach, but I also spend a good amount of time inland with my cousin.

the beach sucked too! LOL it was rocky, small and dirty. i guess you can't compare the whole of the shore to the whole of the Bahamas..

Old 04-03-2008, 10:09 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
It's too funny that you mention that stretch of highway particularly. I've often remarked that there's very little graffiti on the highways in Atlanta- the overpasses, soundwalls, etc., are all clean (not throwing a dig- just stating fact)- whereas every single overpass, column, and wall on the stretch of 287 I used to drive was tagged. I especially remember some of the stuff on that stretch because I was always moving so slowly as I crawled home past it- stuff about a "M-F'n Tea Party" and other such nonsense. It really makes you wonder how it stayed up so long without some agency painting over it- especially with the vulgarity of it. I guess that was one of Corzine's early budget cuts- or was the graffiti the result of one of the "arts" programs that never seem to lose funding?
The reason Jersey has more graffiti along our highways vs. the highways in Atlanta is probably due to the fact that our school systems in the Hood are much better than your's in the Atlanta Hood...lol : ))))))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey