Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 10:40 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times

Advertisements

Growing up in Ringwood as a child, I knew of the Jackson Whites and or the Van Dunks but I never knew the story. My sister sent me this article and it's really interesting so i thought I would share it with the rest of the North Jersey folk in here. The Ramapough Mountain People : The Jackson Whites
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 09:35 PM

387 posts, read 1,429,716 times
Yes! I know this story through Weird NJ... I swear everything I know about NJ is from that mag LOL!

Old 05-19-2008, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 45,831 times
Default mahwah nj jackson whites

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Growing up in Ringwood as a child, I knew of the Jackson Whites and or the Van Dunks but I never knew the story. My sister sent me this article and it's really interesting so i thought I would share it with the rest of the North Jersey folk in here. The Ramapough Mountain People : The Jackson Whites
I use to live in Mahwah Nj at the bottom of stag hill. Every single one of my neighbors were brothers and sisters. The Van dunks, Defreese, Manns, Degroats. they were all very nice people. I moved to mahwah in 1989 as a 13 year old child and shared these neighbors for about ten years. I am of african decent. I did not have any idea about the (rock Jumpers) as they were called by outsiders until I moved to Mahwah. I no longer live in Mahwah but still keep in touch with them till this day. I went to high school with most of them and consider them friends. yes they are well know through parts of nj as well as up state Ny. Just about all of them look like brothers and sisters, and yes there is alot of inter-breeding. I have been to the top of staghill mountain, and even rode on some four wheelers. They are a very intersting group of people, I think I might order the book you mentioned and find out some more intersting facts.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:53 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esb1975 View Post
I use to live in Mahwah Nj at the bottom of stag hill. Every single one of my neighbors were brothers and sisters. The Van dunks, Defreese, Manns, Degroats. they were all very nice people. I moved to mahwah in 1989 as a 13 year old child and shared these neighbors for about ten years. I am of african decent. I did not have any idea about the (rock Jumpers) as they were called by outsiders until I moved to Mahwah. I no longer live in Mahwah but still keep in touch with them till this day. I went to high school with most of them and consider them friends. yes they are well know through parts of nj as well as up state Ny. Just about all of them look like brothers and sisters, and yes there is alot of inter-breeding. I have been to the top of staghill mountain, and even rode on some four wheelers. They are a very intersting group of people, I think I might order the book you mentioned and find out some more intersting facts.
My sister's best pal was a Vandunk and she always talked about the Jackson Whites but I had no idea what it meant : ) You may also be interested in some of the stories related to the underground caves / passage ways in Boonton which were used by Africans/African Americans to escape from slavery. I will see what I can find on those as it is an important part of our history...reminds us of what African Americans had to endure.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:57 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,364,462 times
I have had a strange fascination with them for some time, but didn't think anyone here was into Weird NJ stuff.

Very interesting article!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:50 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,364,462 times
The Ramapough Mountain Indians

There's another interesting link, with several references/statements/etc.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:50 PM

110 posts, read 548,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
My sister's best pal was a Vandunk and she always talked about the Jackson Whites but I had no idea what it meant : ) You may also be interested in some of the stories related to the underground caves / passage ways in Boonton which were used by Africans/African Americans to escape from slavery. I will see what I can find on those as it is an important part of our history...reminds us of what African Americans had to endure.
The Jackson Whites prefer to be called "ramapough". And they are not just black, but rather mixed race: black, Dutch, and Native American.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:03 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times
I used to pick up the Jackson White kids on the school bus when I did volunteer work. They were all Van Dunks, Van Dutchs, the funny thing is the kid looked like he was 15 and was going to school with 9 year old kids. He was much older, we had a few like that. It was interesting !! Very strange set of people, never scared me though.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:05 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esb1975 View Post
I used to pick up Curtis and Jeremy!!!! Do you know them??? The mother of Jeremy had bright blond hair and blue eyes lived with Grandma, house then looked burnt down. Curtis's had a real nice father but I never saw mom. They were nice people!!!

Old 05-20-2008, 05:35 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackedInPrinceton View Post
Yes! I know this story through Weird NJ... I swear everything I know about NJ is from that mag LOL!
Did you ever read about the 2 brothers (called them the gartuntuas) in Lincoln Park? I knew them.they were the weirdest I have ever encountered. I knew some Van dunks and some De Groats, I know every time my sister wanted to sell an older car she called them, they always bought her cars and were always at her yard sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey