Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 11:09 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Good. NJ is not the South, and that's a very good thing.
To be fair, there are intelligent, open-minded people in the South. It's just that fundamentalism still sadly has much of the region in its grip, and so the perception lingers that everyone thinks the way they do.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:32 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,353,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Because the south has cheap housing and taxes, but that also figures into the lower quality schools, so I guess people make their choices based on what means the most to them. Of course, a lot of those people relocating are retirees, so the schools don't matter.

We've still got nine million people here, so the "droves" aren't quite as drovish as some would make it sound.
Very accurate to the first statement. I value good education, good job protections, open-minded society, and progressive thought over "gimme big house for cheap."

And the state's population is still increasing as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 12:56 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,967,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Homosexuality is a sexual preference...no different than being sexually attracted to the opposite sex or an animal or a child.
Homosexuality is analogous to heterosexuality.

Neither has anything to do with bestiality or pedophilia. The only reason to bring bestiality and pedophilia into a discussion about homosexuality is to demonize gay people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
I think the mental illness they're referring to is transgenderism, which is so dramatically different that there's no reason to include that in with LGB except to try to normalize mental illness.
No. At least one person has repeatedly stated that gay people are not only mentally ill, but immoral.

As far as transgenderism goes, if the gay community wants to be inclusive of transgender people, who are you to object? As far as mental illness goes, unless someone is a doctor of psychiatry or psychology, I don't give any weight whatsoever to their diagnoses of "mental illness", or whatever other internet psych evals, of people they don't know or understand, or care to know or care to understand.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
You know exactly what I mean- that gay and transexual nonsense. I've said all I'm going to. If you want to be "right"- have at it. I'd rather have poor public schools- which all states have now, than teach immoral behavior to children.
First, stop trying to push this fakakta idea that the agenda of LGBT History would be to "teach immoral behavior to children". You are implying that there is an agenda to teach children to be gay or transgender, which is preposterous, and right-wing fear mongering at its worst. Or best. However you want to look at it.

Second, the person you are responding to isn't just trying to be "right". They are responding to you basically calling them "immoral" and "mentally ill". But it's a moot point, because they are right, and you are wrong, and history will show that. Just like up until only a few decades ago, your part of the country thought it was "wrong" to integrate schools.

Third, if it makes you feel better to think that the entire country is filled with garbage schools like from where you came, okaaaaay...but that's sad. You know it's not true though.

You are embarrassingly simple minded. And it's got nothing to do with you being from the South. Plenty of fine minds have been molded in the south. You are merely willfully ignorant.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's a waste of tax payer money because Indians and overseas students beat our student in STEM because their schools specializes in STEM courses while we're wasting time and money forcing our kids on studies that won't make them competitive.
"Indians and overseas students beat out student in STEM"...what does that even mean? Students in India and "overseas" are beating NJ students? Or US students, in general?

In many of the school districts in NJ, it is ho hum routine for high school kids to take a bunch of AP science and math courses that would enable them to get a head start at the college level, making it possible to skip over pre req and intro classes in undergrad.

If "Indians and overseas students" are beating US students generally in STEM, you can blame the parts of the country that value a STEM program that teaches that evolution is equally or less intellectually viable than the theory of Noah's Ark. You know. In the interest of "religious" (i.e. Christian) "freedom", and sticking it to the those coastal liberal elites who think they know so much with all their highfalutin' book larnin'.

If you're talking about immigrant Indian and other "overseas" immigrant kids here who are excelling...yeah, that's because they moved here. To take advantage of our STEM programs. They are excelling in NJ schools because of NJ schools.

Furthermore, it's humorous when you people try to (1) argue about "tax payer money" being wasted on this, or (2) how it would detract from STEM, or Business Education (which, by the way, NJ public schools have already been doing, offering classes like Personal Financial Literacy, AP Economics, Accounting, and even Business Law), or whatever else. Do you seriously think they are going to cancel AP Physics or Honors Chem classes for a rinky dink unit on LGBT History? They'll take a day out of Social Studies, History, or American Studies. STEM and AP Economics won't be affected. And the impact to your tax dollars would be infinitesimally small. Give me a break.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Then why are NJ, NY and other people in northeastern states moving South in droves?
Old/retired people on a fixed income are moving from the Northeast to the South. Snow birdism has long been a thing, politics or not. For one thing, old folks don't like the cold, or dealing with the trappings of cold weather (shoveling snow, and treacherous driving).

But when their kids were school age, they chose NJ and the Northeast over other parts of the country, exactly for the schools. And the job opportunities here for themselves.

This is why, year after year, right wingers complain on this forum about NJ, but don't make any effort to move. They'll make the excuse that it's not feasible, but that's a bunch of sad BS. People move all the time. This is a relocation forum after all. The reason they don't move is because, even if they don't want to admit it, it's the progressive liberal parts of this country, such as NJ, that offer the superior public education and opportunities for their precious little snowflakes. But you can tell yourselves whatever fairy stories you want.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:31 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,494,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Then why are NJ, NY and other people in northeastern states moving South in droves?

I'm here to "enlighten the unenlightened".

Old 02-25-2019, 04:10 PM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's a waste of tax payer money because Indians and overseas students beat our student in STEM
Well, if all of those "Indian and overseas students" were able to beat only that one US student in STEM, that feat doesn't seem like a major accomplishment.

On the other hand, if they were able to beat our students (plural) that might be something to worry about.
Hmmmm...

Old 02-25-2019, 06:17 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,469,122 times
I don't understand why anyone would see any harm in some classroom discussion about the long road to acceptance and equality that LGBT Americans have faced. For a country that was born due to the yearning for freedom and liberty and a society built around the concept of inalienable rights, I would say the journey for LGBT rights is a notable part of its history.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:56 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,462,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I don't understand why anyone would see any harm in some classroom discussion about the long road to acceptance and equality that LGBT Americans have faced. For a country that was born due to the yearning for freedom and liberty and a society built around the concept of inalienable rights, I would say the journey for LGBT rights is a notable part of its history.
Some still think this country was built around the concept of “Unalienable rights for ME, but not for YOU.

It reminds me of the George Carlin joke:

Do you believe in God? Yes.

Do you believe in my God?

Last edited by zhelder; 02-25-2019 at 07:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey